Andyroo

More printing on the Pi bottom please

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:21 pm

Mods - feel free to lock this / delete this :lol:

Can I ask that the next time you look at the silk screen printing on the undersides of the Pi (esp the Zero W) you add what the USB ports are?

I assume the HDMI label is due to licence terms but having two connectors the same (USB / Power) without labels gives me a headache when upside down and due to some of the daft places and orientations the zeros around here get into I'll fry something one day soon :oops:

Even one label (e.g. pwr) would help.

I know - I'm a bit thick (and old come to that) but its a simple change :roll:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

drgeoff

Re: More printing on the Pi bottom please

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Why do you appear to have difficulty remembering that the power socket is the one closest to the corner or most far from the HDMI socket?

Baston

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:49 pm

and how did you solved it?

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:32 pm

I'll second the request to label at least one of the USB ports of the Pi0/Pi0W on the bottom. In the mean time, a sticky label or a bit of use of a Sharpie will help.

The problem is that any number of add-on boards (especially LCD panels) mean you can't check the labels on the top of the board.

hippy

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:38 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Why do you appear to have difficulty remembering that the power socket is the one closest to the corner or most far from the HDMI socket?
Maybe because it's not something which is easily remembered ? I have to open the case my Pi is in or search the web to find which is which whenever my sticky label falls off.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:46 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:38 pm
drgeoff wrote:
Maybe because it's not something which is easily remembered ? I have to open the case my Pi is in or search the web to find which is which whenever my sticky label falls off.
In that case, I would get out a spare board to check. It's an annoyance.

piglet

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 pm

An annoyance which could be solved by a little more wording on the PCB. Sounds like a reasonable request.

Shame the GPIOs can't be labelled too...

bensimmo

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm

piglet wrote:
An annoyance which could be solved by a little more wording on the PCB. Sounds like a reasonable request.

If they coloured the ground, 3v3 and 5v the gpio would be easier to navifate. As you ah e some references, rather than counting, counting again and using a couple of resistors as the middle 3v3 spot..

To be honest the usb on is easy on the zero, it the same as the B+ specs.
At the edge its power.

though both power so only data is the problem and then.
Middle then it usb data.

It is amazing how you sometimes have to think though, especially in font of kids.
There is room now that the PP are not numbered.

davidcoton

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:27 pm

bensimmo wrote:
piglet wrote:
If they coloured the ground, 3v3 and 5v the gpio would be easier to navifate.
And print a pink unicorn, too.
Signature retired

W. H. Heydt

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:45 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:27 pm
bensimmo wrote:
piglet wrote:
If they coloured the ground, 3v3 and 5v the gpio would be easier to navifate.
And print a pink unicorn, too.
Uncalled for.

The OP qualified the request with "...next time you look at the silk screen printing..." so the thread isn't calling for the RPF/RPT to initiate a project (even a minor one), but to consider the request if they're going to be on such things in the normal course of business. Plus, it's not like the request is for anything the RPF/RPT don't already do...no new hardware, components, or other such changes involved--i.e. there is no engineering to be done.

davidcoton

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:51 pm

The bit that got me was asking for coloured labels. That is a complex change and will add to manufacturing costs.
Signature retired

Burngate

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:44 am

I wonder if RasPiO could be persuaded to add the Zero USB port identification to their Portsplus keyfob.

Or add it to https://github.com/splitbrain/rpibplusleaf

bensimmo

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:37 am

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:51 pm
The bit that got me was asking for coloured labels. That is a complex change and will add to manufacturing costs.
That was me, it's *only* the extra cost of the custom gpio headers. (Though these are already made for a Pi)

They would be a slot in replacement.

Just something to aid education and kids ease of use in any next revision/minor design update.
And of course if the cost doesn't outway the purpose.

At the very least it would be a bit of front page marketing to plug away at during a quiet time of year.
Maybe a ZeroWCH, with new improved gpio and silk screening.
The marketing it gives may pay for the changes ;-)

As for future major revisions, who knows may be a completely different layout to spice things up ;-)

davidcoton

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Ah, an actual coloured header, nothing to do with the silkscreen.
Yes, I've seen them online -- £1.50 each at the three major suppliers I checked.
They did seem like a good idea for certain users.
It would be interesting to compare the 10000-up prices for standard and coloured headers.
This is the H model, so price sensitivity is not absolute (though I can't see RPF/RPT wanting a price increase just for a coloured header).
Signature retired

bensimmo

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:57 pm

more useful than some text that's already on the other side of the board. If they can't remember between just two connectors, think how kids, old and young get confused with gpio pins. especially when plugged the wrong thing in the uUSB isn't going to cause damage on a Zero, but getting you 3v3, earth and 5v all messed up can destroy a board, sensor, etc.

they added a camera connector to the Zero for no extra (to the user ;-))
That was useful.

DavidS

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Now this thread is kindof making me interested in the RPi 0 (as it is the board in question). I have never got one, as I can not find them at a price that makes the RPiF a proffit (so that they can use the money for there other projects), so have yet to get one.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

W. H. Heydt

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:06 pm

DavidS wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:01 pm
Now this thread is kindof making me interested in the RPi 0 (as it is the board in question). I have never got one, as I can not find them at a price that makes the RPiF a proffit (so that they can use the money for there other projects), so have yet to get one.
The Pi0 sells for $5. The RPF makes a profit, though a minimal one. If you want to put more money in the system, get the Pi0WH for $15. Another alternative is to buy a Pi3A+ (or other "full price" board) to go with your Pi0 to help boost the margins. Of course, if you just want to throw money at the RPF (and who doesn't?), you can probably make a donation.

Return to “Off topic discussion”