ScienceGuy3

Desktop use MK802 vs Pi

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm

I plan to get an MK802 and install linux on it, or a rasperry pi to connect to a motorola atrix to create a sort of light netbook.

All I would do is web browsing and possibly some light text editing, on the machine, so graphics are not too important.

I have no use for the GPIO or ethernet ports, so that is not an issue.

Basically what I am asking is which machine will give me the best web browsing and performance for general use. I know there is very little hope for hardware acceleration on the MK802, but that shouldn't matter too much.

I will be using this machine as a desktop, and I have heard that the pi is slow when it comes to web browsing, so I am kind of leaning towards the MK802 right now, but I am open to suggestions.

If there is something better than the MK802 around the same price range for Linux use, I will also consider it. Even if Linux has to run inside android and controlled by vnc, that would still work too.

Thanks in advance.

ghans

Re: Desktop use MK802 vs Pi

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Can't you use Android with a Keyboard and Mouse ? Install some productivity apps on the MK802
and you're good to go.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ScienceGuy3

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:44 am

I suppose I could, but using android with a mouse doesn't seem very fun. :roll:

Wizard

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:58 am

ScienceGuy3 wrote:I suppose I could, but using android with a mouse doesn't seem very fun. :roll:
Why?

Android works as well with a mouse as with touch, i,e yer fingers.
I've had some issues with slidepads (the laptop kind) and android but never a bog standard USB mouse.

I'm running Android on pretty much everything (well, not for my main computers...), both work related and for fun and I always use a mouse where touch capabilities aren't available.

I also have a MK802 II and it works fine with a mouse.
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 am

Android with a keyboard and a mouse is not a pleasant experience - it shouldn't be, since it was designed specifically for touchscreen devices. The closest thing to that, Android on TVs with a keyboard in your lap and who knows what you use for a pointing device, hasn't been much of a success, let alone a roaring success, has it? As for productivity apps, you've gotta be kidding - except for Evernote and the odd few other well-designed mobile apps specifically designed for a tablet-sized display, they're mostly just inflated-view versions of phone apps that are fine on touchscreen-based smartphones, but just completely suck compared to any kind of real desktop/laptop productivity app.

As of the latest couple of releases of Raspbian (Debian with hardware floating-point support) and warranty-compatible overclocking, the Pi is much more responsive than with the earlier software-only floating-point version of Debian and the base clock speeds. It's not going to be a performance threat to anything running well North of 1 GHz with gobs more RAM than the Pi has (even with 512 MBs), but it's quite usable now. I would look at some on-line videos of both systems running software with equivalent functionality to see whether they fit the bill and then decide which way to go (assuming you can find comparable software running in videos). Otherwise, you may have to see if you can find an MK802 owner who is willing to upload some video of their system running something equivalent to what you want to run. Or, just buy one of each and sell the loser on ePrey, Amazonk, etc.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

rvalles

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Consider the cubieboard:
http://www.indiegogo.com/cubieboard?a=1704773

Note that it's ARM Cortex-A8, which is ARMv7. That's 2x as fast per clock as ARMv6, meaning 3x as fast considering the clock difference. Keeps being 3x if you overclock both the pi and the cubie.

Besides that, the real ethernet and 2 USB ports (not all muxed through one usb via a hub chip) and the extra memory (1GB vs 512MB) and onboard storage (4GB) makes it much more appealing for desktop use.

stevhorn5

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Linux (Ubuntu) on the MK802II is so slow it's pretty much useless for everyday use.

ski522

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Honestly...buy a used netbook for $100...you'll be spending the same for a PI and/or android stick after you attach some type of keyboard/LCD screen...unless you're also looking for a DIY project.

One must remember that the PI is equivalent to a 300MHz Pentium machine...you're far better off with a used Netbook.

Return to “Off topic discussion”