Features that would be beneficial:
0. Dual-core CPU
1. More RAM
2. Second USB port
3. Battery charging/discharging circuit
4. Real time clock and watch battery for it
5. Remove Composite video
6. Add 16-bit audio output and headphone jack
The RPT/RPF never tells... As for your points...

0. Not needed, but would require a new SoC.
1. Would require a new SoC.
2. Would require a new SoC, and note that the NO Pi SoC has more than a single USB port. The B-series (2 or 4 ports depending on exact model) have a USB hub chip on the board.
3. No board space and not widely enough needed. Would add cost, which then *everyone* would have to pay for even if they don't use it. And even then, I bet you are assuming only a single battery technology, when there are many in use and will be many more in the future. (You do want this to work with Edison Cells, don't you?)
4. Pretty much the same as #2, plus you have to put the battery...somewhere. And besides, you can add an RTC to any Pi you want to, includling the Pi0/Pi0W.
5. It's built into the SoC, and all the Pi0/Pi0W have is a pair of holes in the PCB for you to add it yourself...but only if you want it.
6. I'd say this would require a new SoC, but that's not strictly true. The bigger Pis achieve this with PWM and filters. The PWM can be done on a Pi0/Pi0W, but--again--you have to put the extra components....somewhere. There isn't a whole lot of "somewhere" on the board to do that. Especially when you take into account that you're asking for a rather large jack in addition. Even a 2.5mm jack whole consume rather a lot of space on a Pi0/Pi0W.

Note, by the way, that when I say "would require a new SoC', unless someone else asks for the chip design and then the RPF gets to use it (i.e. the RPF doesn't have to pay the development cost), this is a *very* expensive (in the millions of dollars) proposal. Now amortize that cost over a few hundred thousand $5 to $10 boards.

It's basic economics. The good ideas aren't good *enough* to to impose the cost on everyone who uses those boards, and most of them are far too expensive to consider, at least at this time.

Edit to add... Now what I think needs to be done to the Pi0/Pi0W is a new SoC that uses ARMv8. This would be for "future proofing" to permit--at some point--Raspbian to become a 64-bit OS (not because I want that to happen, but because I think it is inevitable). If that permits more RAM, that would be beneficial, but 512MB is enough to run a single-core system just fine. Keeping the core count down will also help restrain power requirements and--hence--heat. Where will such a chip come from? I don't know. Who will pay for it? I don't know. At least I admit that requiring a new SoC is the sticking point.
Last edited by W. H. Heydt on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt

Re: When will Pi Zero W be updated?

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 am

0 and 1 cannot be done without extensive work and a new SOC
2, 3. 4 and 6 you can/should do yourself, 5 serves no purpose whatsoever.
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

ejolson

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:46 am

uno wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 pm
Hi,
Features that would be beneficial:
0. Dual-core CPU
1. More RAM
2. Second USB port
3. Battery charging/discharging circuit
4. Real time clock and watch battery for it
5. Remove Composite video
6. Add 16-bit audio output and headphone jack
Welcome to the forum! It's fun to dream about the future, but this forum may not be the place to do so. Are you using any Pi computers now? And for what?

bensimmo

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:33 am

There is a well/was well use dual core (on a PiZero style/size device) SoC out there, it was used in the original FireTV Stick, Broadcom Capri 28155 2x 1GHz A9's VC4 and 1GHz RAM (they used it split 512/512)
Useful and to Pi Specs, i've no idea.

I don't see the point in the large 3.5mm socket. Just use BT or USB like most are moving to. Saves space and cost.

It's been a while since a good 'would likes' thread.
I wonder what they are sticking together on that wall behind James.
The Pi4 is on its way (of course and they keep mentioning it).
I wonder how the sales of the ZeroW and Zero (does anyone by the plain Zero now?)

Does RPT still have them manufacturered of have the big boys Farnell/RS starting doing them..

hippy

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:05 am

The main features of the Zero are its small size and low cost. Altering its size would increase costs and adding anything will increase size and cost which would make it less appealing to many and might actually harm sales rather than increase them.

There were good reasons for adding CSI and wireless to the original Zero, a provable business case, but not so much for the rest no matter how desirable that might be.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:54 am

As it should, as these "discussions" are without merit.
W. H. Heydt has said it all....

I will treat this as a "wishlist to santa", and for now just move it to off topic..... :roll:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:55 am

The RPF do not announce new devices in advance. We do keep an eye on the forums to see what people are interested in, but generally, we will already have a pretty good idea of the market.

We also have a roadmap, albeit private, for quite a few years.

These threads always go downhill, so closing, however, I will be throwing some warnings out in various directions - some of the posts above are unacceptable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Off topic discussion”