DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Hello Raspberrians,

Before we get talking, let me tell you a bit about myself. I am a 16 year old student wanting to study engineering at university. The first time I ever interacted with Raspberry Pi was when there was an event taking place to learn a little about the LED RPi HAT. From then onward I got really interested on buying a Raspberry Pi for myself. Luckily i got a Raspberry Pi 2B for free. :D


I recently made a WordPress website that's running off my Raspberry Pi Zero W. On the website, there are some basic tutorials for Raspberry Pi such as images and installing android.
I would really appreciate it and tell me what I could do to improve it. I am not that great at writing English so bear with me.

https://html.dynu.net

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Last edited by DarkPlatinum on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Heater
Posts: 9963
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 pm

You forgot the link to your web site.

DirkS
Posts: 9212
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 pm
You forgot the link to your web site.
The link is part of the user details to the right of the post itself.

Heater
Posts: 9963
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Why so it is.

User avatar
Greg Erskine
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:20 am

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Nice work DarkPlatinum,

BTW: No problems with your English.

regards
Greg

gkaiseril
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Nice web site.

It is possible that a person can have more than one web site, so it is a good practice to include a link to the specific site you want people to go to. I have known web masters to carry several beepers, one for each web site they have responsibility for so they can be notified of an issue while at a primary job not associated with their web sites.

It is not unreasonable for a person to maintain one or more instructional site, a personal blog site and a work web site.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm

DirkS wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm
Heater wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 pm
You forgot the link to your web site.
The link is part of the user details to the right of the post itself.
No such thing exists from a mobile browser. I'm unable to find the link.
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

DirkS
Posts: 9212
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:10 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm
DirkS wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm
Heater wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 pm
You forgot the link to your web site.
The link is part of the user details to the right of the post itself.
No such thing exists from a mobile browser. I'm unable to find the link.
Click on the name of OP to get to the user details and then click on 'visit website'

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:39 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm
DirkS wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm
Heater wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 pm
You forgot the link to your web site.
The link is part of the user details to the right of the post itself.
No such thing exists from a mobile browser. I'm unable to find the link.
Added the link to the to stop confusion. :idea:
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am

gkaiseril wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 pm
Nice web site.

It is possible that a person can have more than one web site, so it is a good practice to include a link to the specific site you want people to go to. I have known web masters to carry several beepers, one for each web site they have responsibility for so they can be notified of an issue while at a primary job not associated with their web sites.

It is not unreasonable for a person to maintain one or more instructional site, a personal blog site and a work web site.
Thanks for the tip. I added the link to the post. I just add/improve the posts i make every evening or so. Do you know anything about SEO? I would like my site to come in top results, but as there are many websites out there, I'm pretty doubtful. I have gotten google to index my site.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:56 am

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am
Do you know anything about SEO? I would like my site to come in top results, but as there are many websites out there, I'm pretty doubtful. I have gotten google to index my site.
If you can get reddit talking about your website, you can improve your search listing.
Here's a humorous example.
https://dailydot.com/unclick/reddit-pra ... ato-photo/
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

hippy
Posts: 3882
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:48 am

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:17 pm
https://www.html.dynu.net
With Firefox 61.0.2 (latest) I'm getting this -
Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.html.dynu.net has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.

www.html.dynu.net uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for html.dynu.net Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
And similar with older versions of Chrome
This server could not prove that it is www.html.dynu.net; its security certificate is from html.dynu.net. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.
Chrome 68 lets me through to the site, as does Chromium on a Pi.

BlackKnight_UK
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:51 am

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 am

When I click the link I get a "This connection is untrusted." error :evil:

DirkS
Posts: 9212
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:38 am

hippy wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:48 am
Chrome 68 lets me through to the site, as does Chromium on a Pi.
Probably because Chrome tries leaving off the 'www' bit and that works and it's valid.

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:27 pm

BlackKnight_UK wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 am
When I click the link I get a "This connection is untrusted." error :evil:
I found the problem. I don't have a certificate for the www part. Only for the site html.dynu.net. Let me update the link once again. Thanks for pointing this out! :D
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:56 am
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am
Do you know anything about SEO? I would like my site to come in top results, but as there are many websites out there, I'm pretty doubtful. I have gotten google to index my site.
If you can get reddit talking about your website, you can improve your search listing.
Here's a humorous example.
https://dailydot.com/unclick/reddit-pra ... ato-photo/
This is cool! I wonder if Reddit did it too often if Google would blacklist their indexes :P
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Heater
Posts: 9963
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:38 pm

That is a great web site you have created there, DarkPlatinum.

I have one suggestion...

Whenever you describe configuring WiFi or any other interface, please specify the OS you have used and the exact version.

These things change over time. In a year or so Raspbian will have rearranged such things yet again and anyone finding your instructions will be mightily confused when nothing works with their new OS. We see such problems here every day.

Similarly, if you have instructions for configuring/using any software state the exact versions of the software you have tested this with.

Things change all the time and it wastes millions of hours of human life for people to follow instructions and find they no longer work.

Stating the exact OS and application versions, and hard ware model as well, could save people a lot of frustration in the future.

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Heater wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:38 pm
That is a great web site you have created there, DarkPlatinum.

I have one suggestion...

Whenever you describe configuring WiFi or any other interface, please specify the OS you have used and the exact version.

These things change over time. In a year or so Raspbian will have rearranged such things yet again and anyone finding your instructions will be mightily confused when nothing works with their new OS. We see such problems here every day.

Similarly, if you have instructions for configuring/using any software state the exact versions of the software you have tested this with.

Things change all the time and it wastes millions of hours of human life for people to follow instructions and find they no longer work.

Stating the exact OS and application versions, and hard ware model as well, could save people a lot of frustration in the future.
Thank you for this suggestion. I will add it to the website shortly. :)
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Site will be down for a bit as i make a image backup.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:53 pm

UPDATE

Moved site from 8GB Micro SD to 32 GB Micro SD. :)

Added a new post to the site.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:09 pm

UPDATE

Added 2 new posts,

1. Scanning local network for all IP Addresses
https://html.dynu.net/index.php/scannin ... #more-145
2. WordPress/LAMP Installation On Raspberry Pi
https://html.dynu.net/index.php/wordpress-installation/
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:10 am

1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:30 pm

UPDATE

Added subscription popup to the site.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:49 pm

UPDATE

Receiving spam comments on my site. All comments have to be approved before they are seen on the site. Enjoy!
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: New Raspberry Pi tutorial website

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:55 pm

UPDATE

2 New posts on the site:

1. Installing PINN on a Raspberry Pi
https://html.dynu.net/index.php/installing-pinn/

2. DIY Heatsink
https://html.dynu.net/index.php/diy-hea ... cpu-chips/
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Return to “Off topic discussion”