na1pir

Re: Finally 2012 a year of Linux

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:27 am

For as long as I remember everybody in Linux community always thought that this year (insert number) will be a year of Linux. But now I can finally say the same...

Linux invaded almost all set top boxes and network routers. Over many years I have used Linux at home, job or collage... But I was still in minority, everybody told to me that this is just for geeks,... not for common folks... but last year, Linux came to my pocket (android) as well. And with raspberry pi coming soon, I can see Linux invading schools and homes of common folk as well not just geeks like you and me

zag

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Its all about getting it into schools.

As a network administrator it drives me crazy always having to support microsoft software because its so cheap and the curriculum basically requires it.

If we can get linux and open source tools into the hands of kids then thats the best step linux could ever take!
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

johnbeetem

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:31 pm

na1pir said:

For as long as I remember everybody in Linux community always thought that this year (insert number) will be a year of Linux. But now I can finally say the same…

Linux has been everywhere (routers, servers, supercomputers, Android devices, etc.) for many years — except at the desktop.  Most people use Linux every day without realizing it.  It's the annual "20xx will be the year of desktop Linux" predictions that have failed to materialize.  Up until very recently, every time anyone has tried to make GNU/Linux happen on the desktop they've been either too small to matter or have gotten "an offer they can't refuse" to go back to a more "popular" operating system.  I think it's finally turning around now that GNU/Linux has evolved to the point where it's usable by non-experts.   I'm hopeful that RasPi will help accelerate this situation.

kme

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:06 pm

John Beetem said:

Linux has been everywhere (routers, servers, supercomputers, Android devices, etc.) for many years — except at the desktop.

Yep and add settop boxes to the list. On the latest top500 list over supercomputers Linux is taking care of 457, Windows 1 (one) and UNIX/*BSD/custom the rest.

Prometheus

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 am

John Beetem said:

I think it's finally turning around now that GNU/Linux has evolved to the point where it's usable by non-experts.   I'm hopeful that RasPi will help accelerate this situation.
I personally found it rather heartening a couple of years ago when my parents came to me one and asked for some help switching to Linux instead, because they'd finally gotten sick of having to fix (or have fixed) their Microsoft Windows installation through no fault of their own (they kept it up-to-date and never did stupid things with it) - they asked for Kubuntu, specifically, by name, even. There was no prompting on my part - they just got fed up to the back teeth of dealing with Microsoft Windows (just noting this because quite often when someone relates a story like this, for some reason someone will pop up and claim you're some sort of zealot and bullied people into switching).

In the time since, I've not had to help them out with their computer at all (this was always a bit frustrating for me, as I don't use Microsoft Windows, and have never gotten on very well with it - I've personally always found it incredibly difficult and counterintuitive to use, and was glad to be rid of it once I switched to Mac OS X and later to Linux), and they've now distro-hopped more times than I have.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:46 pm

Raspberry Pi 2012: When Linux hit the desktop, the dinner table, the lounge carpet, the back of the TV....

2012 - The Year of Ubiquitous Linux!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

grumpyoldgit

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Of course, with the Mayan Prophesy looming, this could be the last chance for it to be the year of Linux.

I'll get me coat.

redpicman

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes I heard about the mayan thingy. One of the disasters is supposed to be a giant solar flare that will send out a giant magnetic pulse that will destroy most electronic equipment.

Liz if you are reading this, I know you are going to make cases for the Rpi, but have you considered manufacturing an "end of the world" edition rasberry pi (basically a rasberry pi enclosed in an magnetically shielded case)?

Jongoleur

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Given what the Mayans did to appease their gods, an obsidian knife, a stepped pyramid,  rubber boots and an apron may be more useful...

Jongoleur

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm

redpicman said:

Yes I heard about the mayan thingy. One of the disasters is supposed to be a giant solar flare that will send out a giant magnetic pulse that will destroy most electronic equipment.

Liz if you are reading this, I know you are going to make cases for the Rpi, but have you considered manufacturing an "end of the world" edition rasberry pi (basically a rasberry pi enclosed in an magnetically shielded case)?

Just buy two Pi's and wrap the spare in ally foil!

Return to “Off topic discussion”