rokcy

Is a new Raspberry Pi model coming?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Hard to know if I have searched "correctly", but I have not found anything indicating why the Pi Zero/W has a mini-HDMI port. That is such an odd size that requires rather uncommon cables (I happen to have one I found on eBay I bought some years ago for an Archos 80 - rare then, too), or adapters, that I wonder why the much more common micro-HDMI size was not chosen during the design phase?

Is that size more common in the UK? Most tablets and small laptops I see on the market have micro-HDMI ports (if not full-size), or is that only true for the US market where I live? The size reduction on such a small SOC board would also be advantageous, too, I would think.

Is there any prospect for future models having a micro-HDMI port?

TIA,
R

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Is a new Raspberry Pi model coming?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:02 pm

You should really have started a new thread rather than ressurect this one, but in answer, everything on the Zero is down to cost. This will be the cheapest option.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

ejolson

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 pm

rokcy wrote:
Is that size more common in the UK?
Welcome to the forum!

That's an interesting question. Judging from the size of the UK mains plug, you'd expect there'd be a special extra-large style of HDMI plug that was popular.

Ernst

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:00 pm

ejolson wrote:
rokcy wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

That's an interesting question. Judging from the size of the UK mains plug, you'd expect there'd be a special extra-large style of HDMI plug that was popular.
An UK style HDMI plug would only be complete with a replaceable build in fuse.
My first computer was an ICT1500, my first "personal" computer was the Science of Cambridge Mk14, followed by a TRS-80 Model I later

rokcy

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 pm
rokcy wrote:
. . .
Mini-HDMI only needs to be soldered on one side of the PCB. There is nothing on the Pi0/Pi0W that requires the second side of the board to be soldered. This saves manufacturing cost.

FYI...mini-HDMI cables are readily available. See here https://www.monoprice.com/search/index? ... I%20Cables for instance. (The have adapters as well.)
Hard to imagine an HDMI port the next size down (micro) needing to be soldered to 2 sides of a board.
I suspect the cost saving would be more due to pricing of a huge closeout buy from a component maker who found out some years earlier that the mini size did not turn out to be such a hot seller as they anticipated. I guess we should be grateful they did not find a similar deal for mini SD card sockets such as were used for my Windows Phone HTC Apache (Verizon XV6700) from about 10 years ago - finding the cards for that phone was quite the scavenger hunt ;-}

I did manage to chase down a T adapter (has 1 of each of the sizes on the 3 ends: micro, mini, full) to go with the special cable needed for a Motorola LapDock HDMI connector (micro male on the other end) so I could use it with RPi's, and some other such gadgets like a Windows Phone Continuum dock. Cool portable rig for RPi's since they can be powered by one of the full-size USB ports on the dock from its battery, with keyboard/touchpad via the "erect" male micro USB port next to that micro HDMI port on the flip out phone support. I actually got that dock for a matching Moto Bionic long before RPi's came along. I still think Google killed that idea as they acquired Motorola Mobility right about the time they must have been developing the Chromebook, and saw the Moto phone/dock hybrid as a potential rival, but we will never know...

rokcy

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:33 pm

ejolson wrote:
rokcy wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome!

As for plug sizes, see my response below to W. H. Heydt re the T adapter with all 3 sizes - nothing unobtrusive about it. ;-}

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Wow, yet another thread risen from the dead.
Necro.jpg
Necro.jpg (35.04 KiB) Viewed 824 times
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:02 pm
... everything on the Zero is down to cost. This will be the cheapest option.
Yup, but the trade off is that the user who wants to use it with a keyboard, mouse and screen will need to buy additional accessories, which is why the Pi0 is recommended for end projects, while the Pi3 is what everyone should get as their main learning or working Pi (not to mention the Pi3 is 8X faster, has 2X the RAM, etc.).

I also suspect it would have been more difficult to squeeze a full size HDMI port onto the tiny and crowded Pi0 PCB.

As for the mini vs micro debate, they are just your typical planned obsolescence progression of popular product standards.
  • HDMI > mini-HDMI > micro-HDMI
  • USB > mini-USB > micro-USB (and now of course, USB-C)
  • SD card > mini-SD card > micro-SD card
  • etc...
standards.png
standards.png (23.74 KiB) Viewed 824 times
I have owned both phones and tablets with mini-HDMI, then I got a convertible ultrabook with micro-HDMI, and now newer devices are being equipped with USB-C ports, but let's not forget the previous generation of smartphones with micro-USB MHL ports that can do HDMI over micro-USB.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:09 am

the smaller HDMI connector was chosen for just one reason, it was the one option that did not need wave soldering, it is only reflow soldered, (with solder paste in an infra-red oven, like all the other parts on a zero) the low price is partly due to the fact that only reflow soldering is needed, and wave soldering is not.

locking, please don't necro old threads.

had to put the old thread to rest again, sorry for the casualties, it wasn't an easy job.

Also, the RPF *never* announces new products.....

Return to “Off topic discussion”