xgodzfury

phone or tablet like display?? Help please

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:03 am

Hi, im fairly new to linux and pis, but i have a mish-mash technical background so im hopefully not a complete idiot :)
I ditched windows (because its terrible, it broke my boot files, wiped my computer, and did something to a harddrive and microsoft are no use)and i got ubuntu about 2 weeks ago and im starting to play around with other things like live drives, different distros and pis,
And ive thought of something but i dont know whether its possible (relatively easily) or if its already a thing or not,
but noone i talk to can seem to grasp the concept of what i mean but i thought it was rather simple (maybe im just simple)
and could be done rather easily (for someone with more knowledge than i)

Basically i want to get a touchscreen device like a tablet or a phone and have it run as a desktop interface of whatever is running on the pi.
i'd prefer it to be more phone sized so you dont have to carry a huge tablet with you but i will make compromises

My goal is maximum portability, so i want to run my pi off a battery bank and be able to have it in my pocket (or in my car or somewhere nearby,,, if possible) and use this device to act as the display, keyboard and mouse. i would use a small display with a keyboard and mouse handnest combo thing, but i dont want to have to get the display out and the handset its just still a bit to bulky and cumbersum having something the size of an xbox controller in your pocket, and then when you want to use it youll look a bit wierd in public. (i am wierd but not that wierd) ........(publicly)

the only thing ive found so far is the rasberry pi touchscreen but i dont like the look of the pi jutting out the back

my first thought was to find a device built for the job,
something like a blank smartphone or small tablet that connects through a usb dongle or bluetooth or the onboard command and control wifi on the pi
(if thats possible or even a thing i could just be a complete idiot)
and has basic functionality like touchscreen, onscreen keyboard, obviously mouse usage, maybe bluetooth and wifi (depending on how it would connect)
i dont really want and i dont need phone services like calls and texts, i want it as a terminal sort of
just need the touchscreen with keyboard and mouse
i assumed that this might be a common thing but i cant seem to find anything that resembles what im on about

My next thought was to see if i could find a linux phone, but asfar as i can see they dont exist, but there is a tablet but im trying to keep it small and portable, a tablet is sort of portable but i like the idea of a phone sized terminal

and now im wondering if there is a way to either
1 wipe an android phones os and put on a small linux based os and try make it talk to the pi on a encrypted wifi network or something and make the handset a root user on the network

2 boot in some app on an android phone (ive seen people use ssh to do something like what im talking about) but i dont really like that idea, but its not really i down to what i like its about whats possible

any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated, i hope ive posted this ion the right place on the forums didnt know where to post it so i assumed it wouldnt bother anyone here

just thought, the display doesnt neceseraly have to be a touch screen display i just thought it would be easier to get the keyboard and mouse inputs, but something like a blackberry or pda or any other sort of display i cant think of or dont know of that gets the job done really, and isnt really bulky and large or blatantly obvious like the pis touchscreen,

fruitoftheloom

Re: phone or tablet like display?? Help please

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:56 am

xgodzfury wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:03 am
Hi, im fairly new to linux and pis, but i have a mish-mash technical background so im hopefully not a complete idiot :)
I ditched windows (because its terrible, it broke my boot files, wiped my computer, and did something to a harddrive and microsoft are no use)and i got ubuntu about 2 weeks ago and im starting to play around with other things like live drives, different distros and pis,
And ive thought of something but i dont know whether its possible (relatively easily) or if its already a thing or not,
but noone i talk to can seem to grasp the concept of what i mean but i thought it was rather simple (maybe im just simple)
and could be done rather easily (for someone with more knowledge than i)

Basically i want to get a touchscreen device like a tablet or a phone and have it run as a desktop interface of whatever is running on the pi.
i'd prefer it to be more phone sized so you dont have to carry a huge tablet with you but i will make compromises

My goal is maximum portability, so i want to run my pi off a battery bank and be able to have it in my pocket (or in my car or somewhere nearby,,, if possible) and use this device to act as the display, keyboard and mouse. i would use a small display with a keyboard and mouse handnest combo thing, but i dont want to have to get the display out and the handset its just still a bit to bulky and cumbersum having something the size of an xbox controller in your pocket, and then when you want to use it youll look a bit wierd in public. (i am wierd but not that wierd) ........(publicly)

the only thing ive found so far is the rasberry pi touchscreen but i dont like the look of the pi jutting out the back

my first thought was to find a device built for the job,
something like a blank smartphone or small tablet that connects through a usb dongle or bluetooth or the onboard command and control wifi on the pi
(if thats possible or even a thing i could just be a complete idiot)
and has basic functionality like touchscreen, onscreen keyboard, obviously mouse usage, maybe bluetooth and wifi (depending on how it would connect)
i dont really want and i dont need phone services like calls and texts, i want it as a terminal sort of
just need the touchscreen with keyboard and mouse
i assumed that this might be a common thing but i cant seem to find anything that resembles what im on about

My next thought was to see if i could find a linux phone, but asfar as i can see they dont exist, but there is a tablet but im trying to keep it small and portable, a tablet is sort of portable but i like the idea of a phone sized terminal

and now im wondering if there is a way to either
1 wipe an android phones os and put on a small linux based os and try make it talk to the pi on a encrypted wifi network or something and make the handset a root user on the network

2 boot in some app on an android phone (ive seen people use ssh to do something like what im talking about) but i dont really like that idea, but its not really i down to what i like its about whats possible

any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated, i hope ive posted this ion the right place on the forums didnt know where to post it so i assumed it wouldnt bother anyone here

just thought, the display doesnt neceseraly have to be a touch screen display i just thought it would be easier to get the keyboard and mouse inputs, but something like a blackberry or pda or any other sort of display i cant think of or dont know of that gets the job done really, and isnt really bulky and large or blatantly obvious like the pis touchscreen,

Hard to dissect you diatribe, but there are hundreds of small screens for the RPi such as:

http://www.neosecsolutions.com
Adieu

topguy

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:06 am

If you buy a phone or tablet and install Linux instead of Android, you no longer need to integrate with the Pi.
Because you now have a better computer than the Pi:
- one that has Wfif
- can connect keyboard and mouse via bluetooth.
- has battery.

procount

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:53 pm

You could create a wifi Access Point on your Pi and connect to it from your tablet using SSH if you want a command line interface, or using VNC if you want a graphical desktop interface.

You can also do this with a mobile phone, but in this case you might want to turn your phone into a mobile hotspot and tether your Pi to your phone, that way the Pi can use the mobile phone to access the internet, too.

You may want to add a virtual keyboard to your Pi to use VNC, although I've not heard good reports of them (Florence, kvkdb, matchbox) on the latest Raspbian (viewtopic.php?f=91&t=216252). But see also viewtopic.php?p=884532 and other posts.

Or you could just pair your phone with a bluetooth keyboard, mouse or combo.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

The Traveler

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Don't take my answer as being flippant but buy a Chromebook, install linux. https://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-l ... -509039343
A simple, elegant solution to your problems.

Cheers.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:37 pm

topguy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:06 am
Because you now have a better computer than the Pi:
- one that has Wifi
- can connect keyboard and mouse via bluetooth.
Both of those points are true of the Pi3B, Pi3B+, and even the Pi0W.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:40 pm

I would have said "get an RPF 7" touchscreen", but you have rejected that. However, I think you have done so too soon. You don't have to mount the Pi on the back of the screen, though you might need to get a longer ribbon cable, depending on exactly how you go about finding a place to put the Pi.

procount

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:01 pm

The RPF 7" touchscreen works great with the Smarti-Pi Touch case. (https://smarticase.com/products/smartipi-touch)
Pimoroni's Hyperpixel is the same resolution also with touch at only 3.5" (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/hyperpixel), but it could do with a case as it is more fragile. It's a little on the small size for desktop work, but ok for videos. I have both, but would probably use the RPF 7" touchscreen more because it is easier on my eyes.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:39 pm

procount wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:01 pm
I have both, but would probably use the RPF 7" touchscreen more because it is easier on my eyes.
That's why I'd be very happy in the 10" display that Dr. Upton mentioned in passing when the 7" was being worked on would come to pass. However, at this point it doesn't look very likely. Perhaps we need to start an "older Pi user" movement.

Return to “Off topic discussion”