MaxTheSpy

What If I Told You... You could have a bad to the box Matrix Pi

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 am

What If I Told You....
I've just come across this program that recreates the text display effect from the film The Matrix, here's how to install and run it...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cmatrix
cmatrix
Last edited by MaxTheSpy on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Imperf3kt

Re: What If I Told You

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 am

Then I'd ask you why you are telling me random gibberish
User experiencing technical difficulties.

hippy

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:56 am

I'd wonder what you were talking about, Google "cmatrix" to find out what it was, discover it's most likely a Matrix-style terminal display with falling symbols, then wonder why you couldn't have told me that so I hadn't put any effort into what I'm not very interested in.

MaxTheSpy

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:54 pm

hippy wrote:
I'd wonder what you were talking about, Google "cmatrix" to find out what it was, discover it's most likely a Matrix-style terminal display with falling symbols, then wonder why you couldn't have told me that so I hadn't put any effort into what I'm not very interested in.
Oh your not fun!
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:27 pm

MaxTheSpy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:54 pm
hippy wrote:
Oh your not fun!
It has nothing to do with "fun". It's to do with old adages like "don't buy a pig in a poke" and "caveat emptor".

Burngate

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:33 pm

hippy wrote:
... then wonder why you couldn't have told me that so I hadn't put any effort into what I'm not very interested in.
The trouble with that is that, if he had told us what it was about, I wouldn't have bothered reading it.

As it is, even though I have no interest in the subject, and now know that it's uninteresting, I keep coming back to the thread in the hope that somebody does say something interesting.

So far, two posts have been interesting, so 50% success rate (dropping to 40% when I press the "Submit" button)

drgeoff

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:51 pm

So far the OP has "told" me that he has a propensity to use capital letters and that he doesn't know that the contraction of "you are" is not "your".

MaxTheSpy

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 pm

drgeoff wrote:
So far the OP has "told" me that he has a propensity to use capital letters and that he doesn't know that the contraction of "you are" is not "your".
You all are too critical. I thought it was a cool command, it's in off topic so I didn't see the harm and I know there are a lot of people that like those movies so even if I found just one it would have been worth it.
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Paeryn

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:47 pm

MaxTheSpy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 pm
drgeoff wrote:
You all are too critical. I thought it was a cool command, it's in off topic so I didn't see the harm and I know there are a lot of people that like those movies so even if I found just one it would have been worth it.
But you asked (well, technically didn't as there was no question mark) "What if I told you to install and run some random program?" The sensible thing for people to do when told to install and run an unknown program for an unknown reason is to distrust that person and their motives and to not install said program. If you cannot be bothered to say what it is, why should anybody take the time to find out?
Last edited by Paeryn on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She who travels light — forgot something.

Heater

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:40 pm

What a jolly thread this is.

Of course "sudo apt-get install cmatrix" is not installing some random malware ridden thing from the net. It's installing an "official" component of the operating system from what we like to think are trusted sources,

Why such a frivolity is part of any OS is another question.

Paeryn

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:13 pm

I didn't mean to imply that it could contain malware or such since it is installing a genuine package from the official repo, but without knowing what it is it could do anything. Just installing a package could make a new program be the default alternative of a current program, that could have negative consequences for the user if they didn't realise.

On seeing the name of the program, my first thought was that it was some sort of program for manipulating matrices.

<PetPeeve>
The OP could have easily said something along the lines of "I've just come across this program that recreates the text display effect from the film The Matrix, here's how to install and run it...", that way we know straight away what they are on about and whether we want to install it.

Thread titles should ideally be succinctly descriptive of the content rather than being a copy of the initial line so that people can make an informed choice as to whether the thread is going to be of interest to them or not without having to actually read the thread.
</PetPeeve>

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:53 pm

What a lot of fuss, about this:

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Heater wrote:
Units, fortune...and I'm sure several others.

jahboater

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:42 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:22 pm
Heater wrote:
Units, fortune...and I'm sure several others.
Whats frivolous about units ?
NAME
units — unit conversion and calculation program

SYNOPSIS
'units' [options] [from-unit [to-unit]]

DESCRIPTION
The 'units' program converts quantities expressed in various systems of measurement to
their equivalents in other systems of measurement. Like many similar programs, it can
handle multiplicative scale changes. It can also handle nonlinear conversions such as
Fahrenheit to Celsius; see Temperature Conversions. The program can also perform conver‐
sions from and to sums of units, such as converting between meters and feet plus inches.

Basic operation is simple: you enter the units that you want to convert from and the units
that you want to convert to. You can use the program interactively with prompts, or you
can use it from the command line.

Beyond simple unit conversions, 'units' can be used as a general-purpose scientific calcu‐
lator that keeps track of units in its calculations. You can form arbitrary complex math‐
ematical expressions of dimensions including sums, products, quotients, powers, and even
roots of dimensions. Thus you can ensure accuracy and dimensional consistency when work‐
ing with long expressions that involve many different units that may combine in complex
ways; for an illustration, see Complicated Unit Expressions.
or even "man 7 units" for that matter.

MaxTheSpy

Re: What If I Told You... You could have a bad to the box Matrix Pi

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:18 am

Alright, I fixed the title, and the description. Is everyone happy now?
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Paeryn

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:36 am

MaxTheSpy wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:18 am
Alright, I fixed the title, and the description. Is everyone happy now?
I am here. Sorry if I came across a bit narky, this muggy weather makes me irritable.

Heater

You have told us nothing.

MaxTheSpy

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:14 am

Heater wrote:
You have told us nothing.
What would you like me to tell you. And please be specific
Ask Me About:
Plex Media Server (PMS)
RasPlex

Heater

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 am

The answer to life, the universe and everything.

More specifically I was wondering today:

1) When you plant seeds in the ground, they germinate and grow their shoots upwards: How do they know which way is up?

2) As those shoots grow they tend to lean towards the sun. That suggests to me that they grow bigger on their dark sides than the sides that are getting the light, thus pushing then toward the light. How is that possible given that the energy input is on the light side?

Sorry... you did ask...

Imperf3kt

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:00 am

I'm fine with how the thread is. It gives enough information now.

Oh, and the answer to life, the universe and everything is unknown, but the answer to everything else is 42
User experiencing technical difficulties.

jahboater

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:20 am

Heater wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 am
The answer to life, the universe and everything.

More specifically I was wondering today:

1) When you plant seeds in the ground, they germinate and grow their shoots upwards: How do they know which way is up?

2) As those shoots grow they tend to lean towards the sun. That suggests to me that they grow bigger on their dark sides than the sides that are getting the light, thus pushing then toward the light. How is that possible given that the energy input is on the light side?

Sorry... you did ask...
Geotropic, phototropic, haptotropic (twining round things), hydrotropic movements are about differential growth (so are not reversible).

Light inhibits production of growth hormone. So if light hits one side of the plant, growth hormone is reduced on that side and the other side grows more, so it bends towards the light. Similarly if a seedling grows in the shade, it will grow longer and faster to reach the light (which helps explain the counter-intuitive nature of it).

In the same way touch inhibits growth in a vine. So the side not touching the beanpole grows more and the stem bends around the pole.

and so on ....

Google "The Control of Growth and Differentiation in Plants" or similar - there are lots of books about it.

Sorry... you did ask...

Heater

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 am

jahboater,
Geotropic, phototropic, haptotropic ... hydrotropic ...
Thanks, those might just be the key words I need to get me started in pursuit of my newly found interest in plant growth.

You see, I have been nurturing 50 or so chilli plants on my balcony, from seed, and start to wonder what goes on with them and what they might like best.

I guess I might have learned some of this in school, except in my day we had to chose science or biology at O-level time, we could not do both for some strange reason.

I quite happy with the Matrix thing. I used to have a Matrix screensaver for X11. I presume it's still available somewhere.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:12 am

This thread took an odd turn!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

jahboater

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 am

Heater wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 am
jahboater,
Geotropic, phototropic, haptotropic ... hydrotropic ...
Thanks, those might just be the key words I need to get me started in pursuit of my newly found interest in plant growth.
Actually I might have mislead you a bit (ideas and names seem to have changed since 40 years ago when I was at uni). Auxin is the hormone. See:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitropism

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phototropism

Plants are fascinating. When you study them from an engineering point of view, you see all sorts of seriously clever solutions to various problems - so clever that you cant imagine how they randomly appeared in nature. Look at how different plants deal with the problem of allowing carbon dioxide in and oxygen out while at the same time resisting water loss (cacti have a truly brilliant solution).

Heater

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:35 am

jahboater,
Gravitropism...
Now I do recall that in the biology lab, next to our science lab, they were germinating seeds and growing the seedlings on a continuously rotating platform. Sure enough they all leaned toward the axis of rotation. I was happy to see that plants also cannot tell the difference between gravity and acceleration. As Einstein pointed out.
...all sorts of seriously clever solutions to various problems - so clever that you cant imagine how they randomly appeared in nature.
This can be said of all living things. And pretty much all else in the universe.

We should not anthropomorphize things. Plants do not have solutions to problems. They never knew they had a problem to solve! Only we see it as "problems" and "solutions".

Return to “Off topic discussion”