User avatar
ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4276
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:50 pm

As release day comes ever nearer I think we"d all better prepare for it by either watching this youtube video or getting a loved one to watch it for you. We don"t want any injuries caused by the sudden shock of being able to order the raspi or by people holding their breath when trying to place an order.


User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:12 pm

ogodnotthatagain.......

Arghhhh!!!!

Watching something dire on commercial tv and thet damn advert came on.

Switched over to BBC2 and its Jason and the Argonauts...

Its a timewarp I tell you, a timewarp!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Anyhow, I'm preparing for release day by attaching small dogs to the ceiling by the power of my mind alone....

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

tufty
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Dammit, Janet!

[Edit] aimed a jongoleur"s post, obviously.

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:53 pm

tufty said:


Dammit, Janet!

[Edit] aimed a jongoleur"s post, obviously.



Obviously.

But I'm not wearing a basque for ANYONE.....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

tufty
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Jongoleur said:


I'm not wearing a basque for ANYONE.....


Not even for some folk dancing?

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:10 pm

tufty said:


Jongoleur said:


I'm not wearing a basque for ANYONE.....


Not even for some folk dancing?



nonononononononononononooooooooooo.....

Apropos of nothing, I just realised how similar Janet is to Beans in "Rango".

( 1+3  sigh )
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

User avatar
ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4276
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Jongoleur said:





But I'm not wearing a basque for ANYONE.....


not even for pi?

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:21 pm

ukscone said:


Jongoleur said:





But I'm not wearing a basque for ANYONE.....


not even for pi?



No.   One has to think of the Children.  Allegedly.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

tufty
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Jongoleur said:


ukscone said:


Jongoleur said:


But I'm not wearing a basque for ANYONE.....


not even for pi?


No.   One has to think of the Children.  Allegedly.


Admitting to thinking of children when wearing a basque is liable to get you onto all sorts of unsavoury government lists.

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:30 pm

tufty said:


Jongoleur said:


ukscone said:


Jongoleur said:


But I'm not wearing a basque for ANYONE.....


not even for pi?


No.   One has to think of the Children.  Allegedly.


Admitting to thinking of children when wearing a basque is liable to get you onto all sorts of unsavoury government lists.



This is true.

Hence the "No Basques" rule.  Of course, this might cause some problems on the Iberian peninsula.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

mightygoose
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:53 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Preparing for release day

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Jongoleur said:


tufty said:


Jongoleur said:


ukscone said:


Jongoleur said:


But I'm not wearing a basque for ANYONE.....


not even for pi?


No.   One has to think of the Children.  Allegedly.


Admitting to thinking of children when wearing a basque is liable to get you onto all sorts of unsavoury government lists.


This is true.

Hence the "No Basques" rule.  Of course, this might cause some problems on the Iberian peninsula.



One must then infer that they have no children there...

roelfrenkema
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Now lets see:

Tent with tinsulation - check

Sleepingbag with dumb blond - check

Chinese Meal Service - check

Blunt object - check

25$ - check

OK whats the address to picket?

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:59 pm

roelfrenkema said:


Now lets see:

Tent with tinsulation - check

Sleepingbag with dumb blond - check

Chinese Meal Service - check

Blunt object - check

25$ - check

OK whats the address to picket?



PO Box 2535

Milton Keynes

England



7+7?   Its about time we had some multiplication - test if anyone learned ther times tables, or can remember them......
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

simonIOW
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:00 am

Jongoleur said:


7+7? Its about time we had some multiplication - test if anyone learned ther times tables, or can remember them......



Fibonacci sequence anyone?

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:27 pm

simonIOW said:


Jongoleur said:


7+7? Its about time we had some multiplication - test if anyone learned ther times tables, or can remember them......



Fibonacci sequence anyone?



How about probability problems?

"It is dark. There are three lime green socks and three acid yellow socks in a drawer. You take out a lime green sock, what is the probability of taking another one?"
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:30 pm

What is the probability you have really bad taste in socks or are colour blind?

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:


What is the probability you have really bad taste in socks or are colour blind?



In the real world, probably about 99.99999% bad taste, but remember, this is Probability Land, where the worst might happen and probably does....

I still think its far better than "9+2".
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

User avatar
ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4276
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Jongoleur said:





How about probability problems?

"It is dark. There are three lime green socks and three acid yellow socks in a drawer. You take out a lime green sock, what is the probability of taking another one?"


Have you been looking in my sock drawer again?

I thought we came to an agreement last time. You wouldn't go through my underwear drawers and I wouldn't steal your beer.

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:51 pm

The biggest test on go-live day will be the servers. My experience of buying tickets for events tells me that whenever an event will be sought after the servers can never cope with the demand and will just melt under the pressure. As an example, I didn't manage to get Glastonbury tickets this last year, despite being sat in front of the computer with lots of windows open for over 3 1/2 hours. The system just grinds to a halt. Hopefully the Pi Shop has been designed to cope with thousands of simultaneous purchases but I doubt it.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:


The biggest test on go-live day will be the servers. My experience of buying tickets for events tells me that whenever an event will be sought after the servers can never cope with the demand and will just melt under the pressure. As an example, I didn't manage to get Glastonbury tickets this last year, despite being sat in front of the computer with lots of windows open for over 3 1/2 hours. The system just grinds to a halt. Hopefully the Pi Shop has been designed to cope with thousands of simultaneous purchases but I doubt it.



Fortunately for all of us, we've been told that the servers that will be taxed (for purchasing at least) are some beefy servers of some company that runs on-line shopping sites (i.e. the one we got the stickers from) and not the servers that host the website (which while being fine and dandy, have been noted to have bandwidth issues under high /. demand) 
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
piglet
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:49 pm

The shop is with BigCommerce.com

That being said, I sort of hope there is a big enough rush to be noticable. It would be worse if nobody wanted one after all the waiting!

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:32 pm

ukscone said:


Jongoleur said:





How about probability problems?

"It is dark. There are three lime green socks and three acid yellow socks in a drawer. You take out a lime green sock, what is the probability of taking another one?"


Have you been looking in my sock drawer again?

I thought we came to an agreement last time. You wouldn't go through my underwear drawers and I wouldn't steal your beer.



It was dark and I couldn't find the beer you had swiped.  You do know I had to use a whole bottle of dettol afterwards?
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

roelfrenkema
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:16 pm

piglet said:


The shop is with BigCommerce.com

That being said, I sort of hope there is a big enough rush to be noticable. It would be worse if nobody wanted one after all the waiting!



But the shop's address is http://www.raspberrypi.com/ right?

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6401
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Preparing for release day

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 pm

I don't understand. If it's dark, how do you know you've taken out a lime green one?

If you can find that out, perhaps by taking the sock into another room, why not take the whole drawer into the other room.

9 + 4 = D

Return to “Off topic discussion”