hippy

What people want from a Pi 4

Fri May 25, 2018 3:47 pm

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/eben-q-a-2

"For the first six months or so we’re going to be figuring out exactly what people want from a Raspberry Pi 4. We’re listening to people’s comments about what they’d like to see in a new Raspberry Pi, and I’m hoping by early autumn we should have an idea of what we want to put in it and a strategy for how we might achieve that".

What's the official way for Pi users to get their comments to Eben and the team on what they'd like a Pi 4 to be, what they'd like to see it have ?

DougieLawson

Re: What people want from a Pi 4

Fri May 25, 2018 3:52 pm

I want ponies & unicorns. They must be pink ponies.

I also want 100GB of RAM, terrabyte ethernet, WiFi that uses a radar transmitter with 100Km range.

I also want folks to stop posting threads like this on the forum, because they're tedious in the extreme and they're an insult to the very clever folks at Raspberry Pi Towers who already know what they can get in a RPi4.

Stop insulting the intelligence of the RPF & RP(T)Ltd. folks.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Heater

Fri May 25, 2018 3:54 pm

What is wrong with this forum?

People post their wants and desires here all the time. Discussion ensues. Things get out of hand. Pink ponies and unicorns get slaughtered. A mod locks the thread.

I get the feeling that if any reasonable suggestion floats by it is noticed, at least by the mod that locks the thread.

asavah

Fri May 25, 2018 4:30 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:52 pm
I want ponies & unicorns. They must be pink ponies.
Where do I sign up for this?

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 25, 2018 4:32 pm

hippy wrote:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/eben-q-a-2

"For the first six months or so we’re going to be figuring out exactly what people want from a Raspberry Pi 4. We’re listening to people’s comments about what they’d like to see in a new Raspberry Pi, and I’m hoping by early autumn we should have an idea of what we want to put in it and a strategy for how we might achieve that".

What's the official way for Pi users to get their comments to Eben and the team on what they'd like a Pi 4 to be, what they'd like to see it have ?

There is 6 years worth of comments in various Posts. Every conceivable want has been mooted.
Adieu

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 25, 2018 5:02 pm

hippy wrote:

The official way seems to be to either talk with one of the raspberry PI foundation people face to face, (after being picked for such an event), or to participate in an official RPF organized Q&A session.

What is NOT official is that some random person starts spouting his half informed own needs and wants in this forum.

We (most forum participants here) especially don't need and want requests that are "Pie in the sky", and "wishful thinking" based.
If you really have something positive to contribute, preferably don't do it by posting it on this forum, and before you do, try to inform yourself on how realistic it is what you want, and does it fit well with the prime directive of the raspberry PI foundation (getting British kids to learn to program again as a hobby, as they did with their Sinclair-Spectrums, BBC's and their C64's, like they did in the 80's).

I think that Eben does nothing but talk with others about possible directions the RPF can go with the PI, all day long.
I don't think he has time to read any more threads like this, that are known as YAPP&UT. [Yet another pink ponies & unicorns thread], as some people I know call it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat May 26, 2018 7:36 am

mahjongg wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:02 pm
hippy wrote:

The official way seems to be to either talk with one of the raspberry PI foundation people face to face, (after being picked for such an event), or to participate in an official RPF organized Q&A session.

What is NOT official is that some random person starts spouting his half informed own needs and wants in this forum.

We (most forum participants here) especially don't need and want requests that are "Pie in the sky", and "wishful thinking" based.
If you really have something positive to contribute, preferably don't do it by posting it on this forum, and before you do, try to inform yourself on how realistic it is what you want, and does it fit well with the prime directive of the raspberry PI foundation (getting British kids to learn to program again as a hobby, as they did with their Sinclair-Spectrums, BBC's and their C64's, like they did in the 80's).

I think that Eben does nothing but talk with others about possible directions the RPF can go with the PI, all day long.
I don't think he has time to read any more threads like this, that are known as YAPP&UT. [Yet another pink ponies & unicorns thread], as some people I know call it.
If I see a good idea, I email the thread URL to those that might be interested. However, we are limited by the capabilities of whatever soc we might be using, so good ideas tend to be those related to the board itself. And most of those have been suggested already.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Off topic discussion”