mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Anyone else still got a Dragon?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:00 pm

As I recall Motorola made a kit available (similar to Rockwell's KIM board) as a successor to its first series of engineering boards with the MC6800, and with the "MIKBUG" monitor in ROM, this 6809 and color graphics featuring kit is essentially the design of the dragon, and also Tandy's color computer (that is why they are so similar) , only instead of "colorbug" they both featured a version of Microsoft BASIC.

and yes, as I recall I do have a dragon 64 in my collection.

fivdi

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:37 pm

SN wrote:Install MESS
You can relive all your 80's 8-bit computing wetdreams
And realise that it wasn't actually that good... :roll:
How insensitive of you SN :)

Your revived interest in Fortran 77 would indicate that you didn't really mean it: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 30#p193930

sixxie

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 pm

fivdi wrote: I works for about 10 minutes but then freezes. The emulator is called XRoar and works fine on Ubuntu and Windows. Here's the link: http://www.6809.org.uk/dragon/xroar.shtml

It looks like the author is aware of the freezing on the Pi: http://archive.worldofdragon.org/phpBB3 ... ?f=5&t=754. Maybe he'll fix it sometime.
I've tried it with the current development branch and it doesn't seem to hang any more. Sadly various other changes have slowed it down such that it's not quite full speed without frameskip (doubtless fixable with some custom pi targetting). That's from the console btw, in X it's terribly slow anyway.

fivdi

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Great stuff sixxie. I'll have to give it another try soon.

sixxie

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Well, I've done video with dispmanx (tried egl first with glTexImage/SubImage and just got black screen) and gratuitously ripped off hello_audio for sound (ALSA fails on snd_pcm_hw_params_get_period_size(), i think) and it now runs full speed, with top reckoning the system is about 50% idle. Of course you can't play anything unless you have a USB joystick, as I've not done anything with the keyboard yet...

In the git repos, "rasppi" branch, configure with --enable-rasppi, and you have to have a bunch of the stuff in /opt/vc/src already built as it uses that... Been fun hacking about, anyway!

..ciaran

fivdi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:36 pm

So you're making progress in leaps and bounds. Believe it or not I've used XRoar on three different platforms over the last few years; Linux, Nintendo DS Lite, and Windows. I can't actually think of another piece of software that I've used on three different platforms. Maybe Chrome and Firefox come close with Android, Linux, and Windows but Android is Linux under the covers.

sixxie

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 am

Cool, nice to hear :)

The code in the git repos now handles the keyboard using the K_MEDIUMRAW trick (so long as you fire it up from the console), so:

$ git clone -b rasppi http://www.6809.org.uk/repos/xroar.git
$ cd xroar
$ ./configure --enable-rasppi
$ make

No file requester, so anything you want it to attach you need to give it on the command line.

After several starts & stops it seems to not start again, so something's wrong with my resource freeing, but hey these things reboot pretty quickly ;)

I guess it wouldn't really make it a fourth platform, though...

sixxie

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:04 am

Oops, should add, before all that, you would definitely need to build the libraries in /opt/vc/src/hello_pi.

JonB

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Ohh Dragon 32... I used to sell those, along with all the other 8-bit contenders in a computer shop.

Actually, I don't recall selling a single one - all the kids wanted was a 48K Speccy. I recall it had a reasonable keyboard, and my brother in law used to get my wife to type in the games as they had one. Hmm, I wonder what became of it?

Fast forward 25 years or so and I have been collecting 80's micros. I've got a BBC B, ZX-81, Speccy, Electron, UK-101 (home made clone), Memotech MTX512, Atari ST, STE, Mega ST4 (x2) and a TT030 (which has just been sold). Would love an Einstein but they go for too much money.

Best place for cassette recorders is going to be eBay (maybe charity shops), but they seem to be expensive for some unknown reason, and I guess often have slipping belts or other age related illnesses.

jedie

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:21 pm

What's about to emulate a dragon disk drive with a Raspberry Pi ?

Connecting the GPIO to the cartridge interface?

Return to “Off topic discussion”