DavidS

ARM and x86 and Play, my world now.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:16 pm

As I have recently dealt with some interesting medical issues, and some of which are ongoing, my world is suddenly more limited. Now all I do is play, write code for fun, create software for fun, create and print 3D models for fun.

So I have gotten things down to reason after a good deal of thought. It is that I will write code to run on x86 and ARM based systems, I will use OpenSCAD to create 3D models, and I will use ARM for MCU applications (already do).

For ARM, weather it be for desktop computing of MCU applications the Raspberry Pi is the target. It is a consistent series of HW that is fairly easy to work with (if you do not mind letting the GPU do its own thing).

On the ARM I like playing in RISC OS, as well as on the bare metal of the Raspberry Pi. I have also thought about possibly getting GEM up and running, then adding some of the features of the newer variants of GEM on Atari like systems (where it is becoming a very modern GUI). Also plan to use one Raspberry Pi to act as a WiFi to ethernet bridge, so that the others can get online.

For x86 I will continue to play on DOS, ReactOS, and bare metal projects, just having fun, I also play with GEM (Graphical Environment Manager, originally by Digital Research), as it is a well implemented for its time GUI, and seeing the 68K versions being brought more and more up to date spurs me to play more and more with the Intel versions which are open source, who knows I may one day tackle an ARM port, a little bit at a time.

Ok for keeping up with GEM, there will always be a little 68k in there, though it will be emulated from now on, and so done on the Raspberry Pi systems.

The point is that life is all about play for me now, and the RPi is one of the most important toys in my toy box.
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

hippy

Re: ARM and x86 and Play, my world now.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm

I am all for playing with things and keeping oneself entertained, amused and having fun, and it's one of the reason I have my Pi computers and enjoy using them. But I always have the thought, when doing that myself, that there may be something which is equally fun and worthwhile doing which would be of more benefit to others than what I am actually engaged in.

Of course, no one can dictate where anyone else should be focusing their efforts, but I think it's always something to reflect on; where one wants to go and what one hopes to achieve in that.

DavidS

Re: ARM and x86 and Play, my world now.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:00 pm

hippy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm
I am all for playing with things and keeping oneself entertained, amused and having fun, and it's one of the reason I have my Pi computers and enjoy using them. But I always have the thought, when doing that myself, that there may be something which is equally fun and worthwhile doing which would be of more benefit to others than what I am actually engaged in.

Of course, no one can dictate where anyone else should be focusing their efforts, but I think it's always something to reflect on; where one wants to go and what one hopes to achieve in that.
Thank you.

Do to my new limits, added on my existing limits, play is my life. Weather my play ends being useful to others or not. I would like to hope that at least some of it is of benefit for others.

Though I must agree that the effect on others is to be considered. I believe that it is important to at very least bring a smile to at least one other person every day, and if can bring a smile to many all the better.

I still hope to have some kind of useful and helpful contributions to the RPi community as a whole, and now I am at a point where I am able to get back into the forums.
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

Return to “Off topic discussion”