gtechn

Full Windows 10 can (somewhat) run on the Pi 3

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:30 pm

A user called @NTAuthority on Twitter managed to get full Windows 10 (not IoT) running on the Pi.

It lacks HW Graphics Acceleration, only recognizes 1 CPU core, and the USB Driver only supports a basic keyboard, but it nonetheless is full Windows 10 Enterprise.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2342247666

Heater

Re: Full Windows 10 can (somewhat) run on the Pi 3

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:43 am

Arghh, my worst nightmare is coming true.
@NTAuthority is quite busy with other projects...
Phew!
, however, but maybe a community effort could get this through...
Why would anyone want to work for free to support the closed source OS of a multi-billion dollar corporation?

alphanumeric

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Hmm, the way I read it, its Windows 10 on Arm, not Enterprise? I've been hoping somebody would port 10 Mobile to run on the Pi. Windows 10 on Arm might even be better, assuming progress is made. If you don't like Windows you don't like Windows. I have many many Pi's kicking around the place and would happily try out Windows on Arm on one of them. If its usable cool, if its not no big deal, I'll just swap out the SD card. ;)
The reality is, how does Microsoft feel about this? It is their Intellectual property. I hope they get on board, but something tells me they likely won't. I hope they don't go all lawyers on him though. =(

gtechn

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:54 pm

alphanumeric wrote: Hmm, the way I read it, its Windows 10 on Arm, not Enterprise? I've been hoping somebody would port 10 Mobile to run on the Pi. Windows 10 on Arm might even be better, assuming progress is made. If you don't like Windows you don't like Windows. I have many many Pi's kicking around the place and would happily try out Windows on Arm on one of them. If its usable cool, if its not no big deal, I'll just swap out the SD card. ;)
The reality is, how does Microsoft feel about this? It is their Intellectual property. I hope they get on board, but something tells me they likely won't. I hope they don't go all lawyers on him though. =(
This is Windows 10 Enterprise as an ARM build (by Microsoft - you can find this build online). What he has done is added in the UEFI components, a few 'hackety' firmware drivers, and other perfectly-legal support code to make it run. This is not a Windows "remix" or something - just a bunch of underlying UEFI/driver stuff to make it run.

To put it simply, you saw that Windows 10 on Snapdragon stuff? It looks like this:

[Windows 10 Enterprise/Home ARM64 Build]
[Qualcomm Snapdragon Drivers]
[UEFI]

What he did was:
[Windows 10 Enterprise/Home ARM64 Build]
[Really basic, just getting to desktop, use USB keyboard VideoCore Drivers]
[A UEFI implementation from GitHub, with patches to boot Windows correctly]

The UEFI implementation with patches is nearly done. In fact, to get Windows running properly on VideoCore, all that is needed is somebody to write the drivers. When the drivers are written, you pretty much have an implementation that could be as complete as the Qualcomm Snapdragon stuff. Right now, sadly, there are very few drivers so everything is quite limited. If there is somebody out there who knows Windows NT driver writing, he or she could probably do this...
Heater wrote: Why would anyone want to work for free to support the closed source OS of a multi-billion dollar corporation?
Well, I'd like Windows 10 on my Pi. I probably wouldn't activate it though... ;)

I definitely agree that Raspbian/Linux is a mostly-superior operating system. But I still want to see it happen...

hippy

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Isn't this just a re-run of the earlier (Feb 2018) thread here -

viewtopic.php?t=204993

gtechn

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:44 pm

hippy wrote: Isn't this just a re-run of the earlier (Feb 2018) thread here -

viewtopic.php?t=204993
Well, I guess it is - but I tried to see if this was news somewhere already and couldn't find that. :( So, okay, yes.

DavidS

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 pm

Interesting indeed.

This makes me wonder what the status of the ARM port of ReactOS is. ReactOS being an open source Win32 clone that does run quite well on x86 systems.

Think about the possibility of running ported Win32 programs that developers just do not want to take the time to port to Linux. And it would also be possible to run much DOS and Win16 software with a WoW (Windows on Windows) subsystem that uses a CPU emulation, and an NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) that uses the same CPU emulation.

While I am not a fan of Windows, it is enough to make a person really give the possibilities some thought.

Though it is still possible to figure out how to port DOSBox to bare metal, implement the needed configuration to boot into ReactOS x86 (or Windows 98SE, or even MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows 2.11/386, for that mater MS-DOS 3.21 + Windows 1.03).

It would be interesting to see a Win32 based OS running on ARM, though it may be some time before that happens.

As it stands I am about to setup a new SD-Card with a new install of Raspbian, add DOSBox, RPCEmu, MiniVMac II, and Hatari, install ReactOS on DOSBox, RISC OS Select on RPCEmu, Macintosh System Software 7.1.1 on MiniVMac II, and FreeTOS + fVDI + MiNT + XaAES + TeraDesk on Hatari. Now if we had native ports of all these OS's on the Raspberry Pi that would be great :) .
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

Nick_Hudson

Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 am

What's Windows 10 IoT? Specifically for IoT devices?

Return to “Off topic discussion”