PeterO

Re: Raspberry Pi - Is is good for designing icons

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:30 am

sarahemi wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 am
Normal software Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and sometimes CorelDraw will be used.
AFAIK none of those software packages are available for Linux, so I don't think you'll be able to make any use of a Pi.
There are Linux alternatives to those packages, but it your business requires the packages you list to be used you are stuck!
Also, I expect your graphics design work involves large hi-resolution images , something that the PI does not handle well as it doesn't have the large amounts of memory needed to hold and manipulate them.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ghans

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am

The graphics programs available on the Pi are called LibreOffice Draw, GIMP, Inkspace, Krita
and Pinta. No name brands here.

Also, the Pi is as fast as a 10 year old Intel machine with 1 GB RAM. Enough for many tasks but not for all.

ghabs
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Heater

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 am

If you can't design banners, brochures, icons, logos, on a 4 core, 64 bit machine running at 1HGz with 1G of memory and multi gigabytes of storage there is something very wrong with the world!

Not saying you can of course, just making an observation.

The biggest stumbling block is probably finding software that produces and consumes all the same file formats as your customers.

scotty101

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 am
If you can't design banners, brochures, icons, logos, on a 4 core, 64 bit machine running at 1HGz with 1G of memory and multi gigabytes of storage there is something very wrong with the world!
You've clearly never used any Adobe product! They are total resource hogs that require more than you standard 'office-use' laptop.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Heater

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Ha! That is right, I have never used Adobe products.

I am however, often surrounded by and working with people who do. So I do get the resource hog idea. Those guys always manage to get a company to kit them out with far more capable and expensive machines than us other devs get by with :)

After all, being able to design, in ten minutes, the logo and brochure for the product we have been working on for years is very important!
Last edited by Heater on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bensimmo

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Yep it's a good job intel improved the IGP to allow Adobe you work a bit quicker, needs all the grunt it can get.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 am

The original poster was identified as a spammer he was banned, and his two posts were deleted.

Return to “Off topic discussion”