Earlton2

Tea Time

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:13 am

2108-03-06 So at our Men's Shed we often stop for tea around 10:30, turn off the tools, sit down for a chat and a few laughs, or maybe a tear or two. Our up-coming project is another 50 bat-houses for the Canadian Wildlife Federation which brings me to one of my present Pi projects. Now I don't want any solutions thrown at me here because I've been at it most of the day trying all the foolishness I could find on the web with no end in sight.
Last year I was looking in on a Winterized home which has a couple of sump pumps running in the cellar. I'd always wanted to do some temperature monitoring and when I found the Texas Inst. TMP107 probe on DigiKey it seemed to solve the problem for me of distance. Only to say that I now have a Pi Zero running in the kitchen with three daisy chained probes, each 25ft from the last one. i.e. one near the sump pumps, one on the landing and a third out the bathroom window. A log file for the day is generated at midnight ready to mail to me. Last year it was only a Pi-B so we had to plug in a laptop and SSH the files down. This year it's a Pi-Zero so I walk in with my Galaxy and before I leave SyncBot has downloaded all the data.
That says very little about the struggle I went through switching over to SystemD, implementing an Access Point and finally a hardware clock. I probably lost a month on each topic and would like here to thank SurferTim and the like for their due diligence.
As for the bat-house location, it has a WiFi connection and the log file will be mailed to me one minute after midnight. It was already doing that on my home network but then I foolishly updated the operating system and we knows what happens then! A third Pi(Bee) in the equation is now wired as an Access Point so I''ve made it look like the farm WiFi and can happily login from my Win7-laptop and my Galaxy. Unfortunately Pi(Bat) is no longer behaving and it's WiFI now has the "carrier lost" sickness.
It seems to me I was happiest on the beach watching the tide remove my sand castles, while in Pi-land there seem to be far to many gremlins lining up to do the same.
As for Pi(Bee), it is destined to return to a bee-hive installation where last year it captured temperatures of +20C inside one of the hives when it was -20C outside, I thought that little tit-bit was worthy of the effort.

Heater

Re: Tea Time

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Earlton2,
...captured temperatures of +20C inside one of the hives when it was -20C outside...
That is indeed interesting.

I never thought about those "busy bees" being so busy in the winter, keeping warm.

I guess honey is heat !

W. H. Heydt

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:20 am

Heater wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm
Earlton2,
...captured temperatures of +20C inside one of the hives when it was -20C outside...
That is indeed interesting.

I never thought about those "busy bees" being so busy in the winter, keeping warm.

I guess honey is heat !
While a bee is a "cold blooded" animal, a bee hive is, essentially warm-blooded, being self-regulating with regard to both temperature and humidity.

Heater

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 am

I was wondering about that. Either the bees are doing a lot physical work to generate heat or there is some exothermic reaction going on with the honey or something.

Turns out to be the former. But there are specific bees with that physical work to do, the "heater bees".

Much of this has only recently been discovered apparently:
https://www.mybeeline.co/en/p/how-honey ... -in-winter

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm

The "carrier lost" struggle is being looked at by the RPF folks and Cypress (the hardware maker), it seems to be the changes to fix the recent WiFi vulnerabilty as the old code in Jessie never suffered like the current version.

It's just a waiting game now.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Earlton2

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:04 am

The WiFi has now settled down after the last update and my farm Pi-Zero-W installation is busily capturing temperature logs every hour and e-mailing me the days findings at midnight. This is last nights effort:

Code: Select all

2018-03-24 19:01, 12.1, -2.4,  0.0,  0.0,
2018-03-24 20:01, 11.0, -3.6,  0.0,  0.0,
2018-03-24 21:01, 10.0, -4.6,  0.0,  0.0,
2018-03-24 22:01, 10.0, -4.6,  0.0,  0.0,
2018-03-24 23:01, 10.0, -4.8,  0.0,  0.0, 
The first temperature is the CPU while the second is a TMP107 sharing the same plastic container. There are two more on a bat house about 25 ft away but both come up zero, so something has dropped off!

My WiFi was still being funny after the March 2018 update so I started looking at journalctl and the like, followed by a grep. I was still seeing "carrier lost" but no clues from "grep wlan0" or "grep dhcpcd" etc. It wasn't until I added grep -c 2 ... which was enough to show wpa_supplicant didn't like scan-ssid=1. At least not where I'd put it, in the header rather than a network {brackets}. I most likely copied it from some earlier forum entry which ended with those magic words: "this worked for me!"

The real point being that when Dougie asks us to reload the SD card it's because he's no idea 'where you're at', and neither did I.

Earlton2

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 pm

The cottage pi is now recording negative temperatures while the one in Beckwith his heading that way. Both have probes inside and outside a bat house and neither shows any significant delta.
We returned from the North to find the modem dead, along with the HiFi, three light timers and my CNC linux computer. Funny about the latter because it was completely disconnected from the AC. It did however have an ethernet link running upstairs and a power receptacle attached to the chassis. I suspect a ground surge on the latter as I had to replace all the 2N2222s in the CNC controller although the stepper drivers survived.
I gave up on the linux PC but the service guy managed to breath life back into it with new video card.
As usual I went off looking to see what progess there was with the pi and linuxcnc. I could tuck such in a corner of the controller and free up some bench space.
I eliminated the ethernet link with a USB WiFi and installed a block of wood between the AC socket and CNC chassis.

Return to “Off topic discussion”