tjohnson

Why was my post deleted?

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

I made a post on the forum several months ago called "GUIDE: Google Assistant on Raspbian", that explained how to set up the Assistant SDK on Raspberry Pi". I kept it updated regularly, and it was popular with over >20k views.

Today I logged in to the forum and noticed that this thread is suddenly gone (dead link). Was it deleted by a mod for some reason? If so, I would have expected a PM explaining the reason why. I'm confused about what happened.

Heater

Re: Why was my post deleted?

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Curious.

A google search still finds links to that thread. They are unfound if you click on them.

hippy

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Can't help with why or where it's gone but Google shows a cached snapshot dated 29th Jan 2018, so it went walkabout fairly recently.

Seems your post count was up to 45 or more, now down to 7. I guess you had quite a bit invested in that thread.

From looking at other cached snapshots of your posts it appears your post count had dropped to 6 on 1st February, so I guess it went sometime between Monday 29th Jan and Thursday 1st Feb.

Interestingly threads 188958 through 188960 seem to have gone ...

viewtopic.php?t=188958
viewtopic.php?t=188959
viewtopic.php?t=188960

tjohnson

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:14 pm

hippy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 pm
Can't help with why or where it's gone but Google shows a cached snapshot dated 29th Jan 2018, so it went walkabout fairly recently.

Seems your post count was up to 45 or more, now down to 7. I guess you had quite a bit invested in that thread.

From looking at other cached snapshots of your posts it appears your post count had dropped to 6 on 1st February, so I guess it went sometime between Monday 29th Jan and Thursday 1st Feb.
I did have a quite a bit invested in it, I want to get it restored if possible. But I don't know what the best way is to contact the moderators, to ask if they can put it back up?

mikerr

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Sometimes a whole thread will temporarily disappear while a mod cleans it up, and then it will reappear later with some posts removed
- this usually happens where a discussion has got out of hand though - did anything like that happen ?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

klricks

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 pm

tjohnson wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:14 pm

I did have a quite a bit invested in it, I want to get it restored if possible. But I don't know what the best way is to contact the moderators, to ask if they can put it back up?
Go to your post and press the report button [!]
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 am

I have no idea where that has gone. I didn't delete it, I'll see if any other mods know. Cannot find it in any of the mod forums in case it was moved there for some reason. So I supect its is gone, but no idea where. I an not sure deleted stuff can be recovered.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

tjohnson

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:58 am

jamesh wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 am
I have no idea where that has gone. I didn't delete it, I'll see if any other mods know. Cannot find it in any of the mod forums in case it was moved there for some reason. So I supect its is gone, but no idea where. I an not sure deleted stuff can be recovered.
I'm afraid if I repost it that this could happen again. As far as I know regular users on the forum don't have power to delete entire threads, and even if they did I can't comprehend how I would have done it by accident.

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll just go ahead and repost it. I should back it up too, I almost panicked because I couldn't find a cached version but it's on Bing.

jamesh

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Looks like this was accidentally deleted, and I haven't found a way of getting it back. Glad you can find a backup - please repost - it's deletion was purely accidental (something which has happened only very very rarely in the last 5 years!), and nothing to do with content.

hippy

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

jamesh wrote:
it's deletion was purely accidental (something which has happened only very very rarely in the last 5 years!)
But how does one know how often it has happened, whether something has been accidentally deleted or not ? Only if someone knows it should be there will they notice it is not.

One can check every thread number to see what's not there (as I did for a subset earlier), but how does one tell if those are not there because they were deleted in error or not ?

Were the other two threads I identified which now don't exist also accidentally deleted ?

I moderate and admin other forums so it's not criticism that such things happen. I have done it myself; deleted the wrong thing, accidentally locked threads, mangled thread merging.

vBulletin which is used for the forums I moderate has an option to hide (the default) or delete permanently. We very rarely use permanent delete, and I believe non-admin mods can only hide. That allows threads and posts to be recovered, and to be reviewed if there is a dispute over whether something was removed reasonably or not. Of course that doesn't mean one can never accidentally permanently delete a thread or post but it should not happen. I don't know if phpBB has the same.

Of course, at the end of the day, most threads lost are probably not that problematic; they aren't essential to have.

jamesh

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:21 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm
jamesh wrote:
it's deletion was purely accidental (something which has happened only very very rarely in the last 5 years!)
But how does one know how often it has happened, whether something has been accidentally deleted or not ? Only if someone knows it should be there will they notice it is not.
Because we vary rarely completely delete threads (spam or duplicates only), so given that small number, the total number of accidentally deleted threads from a tiny number of actually deleted threads is going to be small.

Don't have exact figures.

Return to “Off topic discussion”