piggletmoo

Re: Its the red tape thats the problem

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Whilst i applaud your efforts to re-introduce programming and electronics back into schools and homes.I do not think the problem is purely down to a lack of people with programming abilities, the biggest problem is the red tape known as the ce regulations and the costs involved in getting a products type approval either via a test house or self approved after buying the books.A number of people i have come across have fallen at the last hurdle because of the worry/complication and expense of these regs and so the product has never come to market. I envisage people/schools using your great device and intending to produce a product will also come across this.I think the governments in Europe really need to reassess the cost and complexity of these regulations and the damage they do to individuals creativity

pauldow

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:19 pm

The US educational is also tied up with regulations. There's the "No Child Left Behind" program where the entire system is now set up to only teach the kids to pass the standardized tests. The teacher unions don't want to change anything except lobbying for smaller class sizes which would require more teachers, which provide more union dues.

I wonder if an out-of-school program, would have long-term success? I'm thinking a technology equivalent to Little League baseball, Boy Scouts, or Girl Scouts (without the Girl Scouts lawyers) would work?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:24 pm

I love the idea that it's been *easy* up to now, red-tape-wise. Dealing with things like tax law, waste management directives, employment law, charity law, licensing, EU safety regs etc etc (I could go on for several paragraphs) has been a big part of our daily lives for months now. A lot of these things are really expensive. CE ratings are just another set of hoops we have to jump through, but I can assure you it's not one we plan to stumble at.

It's hard to estimate from outside just how many moving parts there are in a business like this. And I agree that governments could do a lot more to help manufacturers like us: did you know, for example, that if we build in the UK we have to pay import duty on parts; but if we build abroad, we don't have to pay duty because a finished device is exempt? This is beyond bizarre, and it's directly damaging to UK businesses.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

liz said:

... if we build in the UK we have to pay import duty on parts; but if we build abroad, we don't have to pay duty because a finished device is exempt? This is beyond bizarre, and it's directly damaging to UK businesses.

Utterly bonkers, I agree. Its probably a protectionist measure enacted when the UK actualy manufactured things to prevent cheap parts being sourced from abroad, undercutting the small manufacturers making components locally.  Nowadays, its a pointless exercise (though probably lucrative for the treasury) given we don't make the right sort of components anymore.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

stuporhero

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:39 am

Liz, I'd love to see a blog post on this - and definitely a topic worth bringing up for discussion (maybe with help from some valuable BBC links?)

Return to “Off topic discussion”