jardino

Forum time

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Sorry to grumble, but the forum time on the home page seems to be set at British Summer Time, not GMT.

Did someone forget to set the system clock back?

Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

DirkS

Re: Forum time

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:49 pm

jardino wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 pm
Did someone forget to set the system clock back?
No, phpbb doesn't keep track of your local time.
go to ucp.php?i=174 and set your time zone to europe/london

davidcoton

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:17 pm

jardino wrote: the forum time on the home page seems to be set at British Summer Time, not GMT.
What time, where on the page? In what circumstances? Was a post given a posting time ahead of current GMT? (I can't see a clock on that page, so I don't know what you were looking at.)

At the bottom of the page it says:
All times are UTC
which is effectively GMT.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

Heater

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Something is up with the forum times. For example I'm posting this at 18:15 local time, Finland.

But the forum tells me I will be posting it in one hours time, 19:15

Just now UTC and local time in England is 16.15 so it's not that.

Looking at the page source I see it has the text "Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 pm" hardwired into the page so it seems to be trying to make a guess where I am and serve my local time. And failing.

hippy

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:34 pm

I recently noticed some posts appearing to be for tomorrow when it was still today for me. I am currently seeing "All times are UTC+01:00" at the bottom of most pages ( including this ) which would explain that.

I checked my forum settings and that's what my timezone was set to; UTC+1. I can't believe I would have selected that as a default, but maybe I had. Perhaps something changed when accounts migrated from the old forum software. Or I previously had not noticed, or just lived with the discrepancy. Wrong times are encountered so often I subconsciously ignore those like top of the screen advertising banners.

I have changed the timezone setting and times now seem to be as they should be, at least none seem anomalous.

Added: Rather oddly that "UTC+1" setting is not there when I go back to try and choose that again. So a mystery as to how it became that, but it's not a mystery I need an answer to or will fret over.

Also the data and time of joining doesn't seem to change regardless of setting chosen.

Extra Added: Date and time of joining very odd for me. With a Europe/London selection it's the same as a UTC+1 selection, 9th Sep 23:34, but for a UTC+3 setting it's 10th Sep 01:34, which seems to suggest Europe/London is UTC+1 which it isn't currently.

I have changed my mind; there's something screwed up with timezones on the forum and things do not seem to be entirely consistent.
Last edited by hippy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:49 pm

I'll flag this up when I next talk to the web guys.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Heater

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:06 pm

hippy,

Ah yes, there it is at the bottom of the page "All times are UTC+03:00", never noticed before. Who would look down there in the small print?

gkaiseril

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:13 pm

It appears that the time on the web page is adjusted for the user's time zone as set in their profile for the forums. I noticed that the time offset for Chicago, Il is not correct. I expect this is an issue with the software not being updated for the current dates used by the U.S. for time changes.

Heater

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Strangely enough I have recently been fighting with this time problem on web pages. It's a nightmare what with time zones and daylight saving etc.

It would be better if times were stored and transmitted around the place everywhere in UTC. They can then be displayed in whatever local time the users browser has.

davidcoton

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:52 pm

hippy wrote: Date and time of joining very odd for me. With a Europe/London selection it's the same as a UTC+1 selection, 9th Sep 23:34, but for a UTC+3 setting it's 10th Sep 01:34, which seems to suggest Europe/London is UTC+1 which it isn't currently.
Ah, but London WAS UTC+1 on 9 September....

Dates are a nightmare. Unless everyone just sticks to UTC then sometime some time will seem to be wrong to somebody somewhere. Hope I typed that correctly. :o :shock: :? :roll: :lol: :ugeek:
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:44 am

Obligatory Tom Scott YouTube ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

Set your local timezone at: ucp.php?i=174 and avoid some of Tom Scott's problems.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Heater

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 am

Testing, testing...

Lo, after setting my timezone the posted is time stamped correctly.

Heater

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Dougie,

Love the Tom Scott video. So true.

I was just bitten by this last week....

We had a few hundred thousand measurements with time stamps (UTC), one per minute, saved in text files, line by line. I wanted to stuff those into a simple SQL table. Somebody wanted all the time stamps rounded to the nearest minute. Easy I though, I'll just round to the nearest minute before inserting each record.

Well, the database complained that I was trying to do a bunch of inserts with duplicate time stamps somewhere in the middle of all that data.

Eventually it dawned on me. The duplicate time stamps were happening over the night when daylight saving time changed. Thus causing one minute to be duplicated. Why? Because the stupid date time library I was using was applying DST to my UTC time stamps!

Grrr...

hippy

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:52 pm
Ah, but London WAS UTC+1 on 9 September....
Yes; that does seem to be the explanation. Selecting various UTC timezone locales, which are all at UTC now, my join date shows as ...

UTC : 9th Sep 22:34
Africa/Freetown : 9th Sep 22:34 (DST = UTC, no DST)
Europe/London : 9th Sep 23:34 (DST = UTC+1)
Antartica/Troll : 10th Sep 00:34 (DST = UTC+2)

I'm just glad I'm not the one having to figure out where the discrepancy is :D

Return to “Off topic discussion”