fireraisr

Re: PC's are boring

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:24 am

Hmm, now that I think about it, it was my tv that had the limitation of disabling external input when hdmi was connected. So you're probably right about the audio out on the raspi..

Bikko

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:34 am

PC's are awsome.

I have alsorts, Even dual P2 motherboards ect even 386's

but TBH I love all tech (not apple... never apple)

lobster

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:50 am

I want what I do with it to be exciting

I worship my PC by setting it up as a Buddhist shrine
http://tmxxine.com/s4/index.htm

I then pray to the future Buddha to send me a time machine
I believe such behaviour is a direct consequence of too little Pi
and too much raspberry.

Let this be a warning to you . . .

DavidS

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:08 am

Yes PC's are boring.  Though not because of the case, OS, malware, etc...  Rather because of a choice that many have made.  PC's are now about giving the power back to the few the programmers, thus reversing all the work of the 80s to take the power for ourselves.

Does no one remember the great love of using and programming computers just because we could.  We no longer had to have access to a mainframe, or minicomputer, we could program at home, we could understand how computers work.

Now it seems that everyone wants to lose this power.  We use OSes written by others.  When we need some simple software tool that can be written in a couple of hours of our spare time so many will spend days searching for the same thing written by some big company instead.

All computer users need to take back the power in order to bring the fun back to computing. This does not mean that all computer users have to be programmers, just that they have to be willing to understand what they are using.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

barnaby

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:29 am

However much I admire the polish and design of the casing, OS and general interaction of/with my mac, there"s still something faintly arousing about using a good old slide rule

But really, I think any computer, device, car, house, life, etc is just as boring as the person/people who use/own it. Perhaps that old beige box with a CRT monitor and ps/2 mouse and keyboard off free cycle is owned by a child prodigy who programs robots in machine code. Equally, perhaps that flashy cased Alienware desktop with water cooling and a load of other rubbish is owned by some brain-dead individual who plays zombie death games 24/7. Which of *those* computers is more boring?

Whilst I"m a way off machine code, I generally try to be more like the first one.

Cheers,
Barnaby

hippy

Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Barnaby Walters said:

But really, I think any computer, device, car, house, life, etc is just as boring as the person/people who use/own it.

Consider what part the boring "PC" played in delivering the R-Pi; if it wasn't for the PC being a tool we'd likely not be looking forward to having it delivered soon. It would be nice to know the complete design story of the R-Pi and what tools were used to create it; I'm intrigued as to how essential or not Windows was in R-Pi development, if it was used, why and why not something else ?

rwilliford

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:55 pm

Bikko said:

PC's are awsome.

I have alsorts, Even dual P2 motherboards ect even 386's

but TBH I love all tech (not apple... never apple)

Why not apple? What's wrong with them?

barnaby

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:16 pm

rwilliford said:

rwilliford! Don't provoke the haters…

Damn, too late

I must say, when I first saw this thread my 'it's going to turn into an Apple hate war' sense started tingling. Let's not, shall we?

Cheers,

Barnaby

rwilliford

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:25 pm

lol, I wasn't trying to do that, not in the least. I could see where you'd see that though.

But I just like knowing how people feel about certain things, and how opinions differ.

barnaby

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:29 pm

rwilliford said:

lol, I wasn't trying to do that, not in the least. I could see where you'd see that though.

But I just like knowing how people feel about certain things, and how opinions differ.

How about starting a new topic, encouraging the thoughtful and educated discussion of relative merits of operating systems and hardware?

Dudeofdoom

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Barnaby Walters said:

rwilliford said:

Damn, too late

I must say, when I first saw this thread my 'it's going to turn into an Apple hate war' sense started tingling. Let's not, shall we?

Cheers,

Barnaby

Oooh i'm coming out of the closet on this one as I love Apples

Joules

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Me too bro, a whole orchard of them.

rwilliford

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:27 pm

You're right. Where should I go about doing that?

barnaby

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:03 pm

You"re right. Where should I go about doing that?

The "off topic" forum. Conveniently, the board that this message is in.

Cheers,
Barnaby

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:18 am

Barnaby Walters said:

rwilliford said:

Damn, too late

Cheers,

Barnaby

Oh come ON!

I've always been inclusive in this "PCs are boring" thread.  Apples are PCs, therefore they're just as boring as any Wintel box.  And since Apple abandoned the PowerPC platform in favour of Intel, there's not much difference in the hardware...

(I've got an Apple, its a Mac Mini.  One of the most disappointing computers I've come across.  Apart from the 7" Android tablet that was sent back because it was no more than a paperweight, and did that badly too...)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

timmeyh

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Jongoleur said:

I've got an Apple, its a Mac Mini.  One of the most disappointing computers I've come across.

disappointing computer or disappointing OS?

Please don't always blame the hardware

zomzilla

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:55 pm

there's a fundamental problem with this topic; the reason computers always used to be so full of character is because of the differences both inside and out: these days most computers are practically identical on the inside, and all run Windoes or Mac

what do i do? on my laptop i run my very own build of linux in the form of Funtoo (gentoo derivative; its fantastic!)

i run gentoo on a strange router we bought (on the inside its just a small ARM board, even had VGA :O)

currently debating RasPi vs Pandaboard for my needs

then just make your own case/laptop/whatever

timmeyh

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:22 pm

zomzilla said:

i run gentoo on a strange router we bought (on the inside its just a small ARM board, even had VGA :O)

I would like to know the modelnumber / manufacturer of that router if possible

nvoid82

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:23 pm

@ the person who was disappointed by his mac mini, I know how you feel. Mi padre has one, and for certain things it is a very nice computer, but it tends to sag in graphics or IO heavy areas. An ssd would help with general usability.

Mac were cooler when they were ppc, and the rainbow apple is better than the chrome.

On topic: I view computers as tools and don't generally think about wether or not they are boring. I just make sure they are mine. Most of my interest in computing stems from the fact that I enjoy creating and modifying things To me, computers have not lost their character, its just the things you are capable of doing with them have changed. A computers case is as important a piece of the whole as the motherboard, or the power supply. You just have to broaden your view of what composes it.

barnaby

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Mac were cooler when they were ppc

Yeah, but they're a whole lot faster now they use Intel processors! Not to mention the… *ahem* feature of being able to run Windows. Not my cup of tea but it's a reasonable selling point.

nvoid82

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:46 pm

@ Barnaby Walters

But it's not the same!

The ability to run windows is very useful, and now that macs are using intel, I can triple boot osx, linux, and windows. (And a variety of others OSes)

lightman

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Well, I've had PC's and now have an iMac and to be honest I put them in the same camp; lacking charm, LOL.

For a while my wife noticed my computer enthusiasm waning and asked me what kind of computer I had when I was a kid.  I told her that I had a Spectrum.

Well, guess what I got for Christmas?  A ZX Spectrum boxed and a C64 also boxed, because she couldn't remember which one I had said, LOL.

Now, for the first time in a long time, I feel that I slowing finding my way into the mysterious and amazing world of the computer.  I'm loving it.

I'm hoping the P.I will also have a charm attached to it, because it this high tech world of numbness we need a little pinch of the cold.

Oh, glad to be a member here.  Can't wait till the release!!

Cheers, and happy Near Year!!!

Lightman

Prometheus

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:30 am

Barnaby Walters said:

Mac were cooler when they were ppc

Yeah, but they're a whole lot faster now they use Intel processors! Not to mention the… *ahem* feature of being able to run Windows. Not my cup of tea but it's a reasonable selling point.

And they run a whole lot hotter, too... (And my experience is that they're not as well-built, but that's a whole other matter. )

I miss the PowerPC Macs, too. It seems that Mac OS X started getting really bloaty right after the move to Intel processors...

I do still have a Mac for the time being, purely because some companies I have to deal with sometimes insist on the use of software to use their services, which is invariably only available for Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X, and as I don't get along with Microsoft Windows, having a Mac around is the better option for this. It seems that that era may soon be coming to an end, thankfully, which is good, because my MacBook is so poorly-built that its casing keeps cracking and coming apart at the seams, and I have no desire to replace it with another one (especially since I've seen the allegedly "indestructible" Unibody MacBooks belonging to friends and relatives, which frequently fall victim to the entire bottom part of the casing falling off in spite of being treated very gently indeed).

That said, OS X going off in a direction that didn't suit my requirements did facilitate me switching to Linux, so it's not all bad. That brought quite a bit of the fun back to computing, for me.

johnbeetem

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:15 am

Prometheus said:

I miss the PowerPC Macs, too. It seems that Mac OS X started getting really bloaty right after the move to Intel processors...

I lost interest in the Mac when they went from OS 6 to OS 7.  With OS 6 one person could read and understand all of Inside Macintosh.  IMO OS 7 became way too complex, and without any good reason.  I think the bloat began when you could load up a Mac with many megabytes of memory, eliminating the need to keep things small and efficient.  Same deal with PC, though it took PC longer to come up with a 32-bit OS.

jwatte

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:14 am

To be fair about System 6: Living in a world where the user would run arbitrary INITs that tail-patched A-traps, and any application could smash the memory of any other application, wasn't exactly the most robust computing experience

I've been running a Mac Mini since 2007 in my TV/stereo rig, running Windows Vista Media Center, and it does great at that.

Return to “Off topic discussion”