Leeloo

zero vs orange pi?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

got a pi3 it used/run everything I threw at it, it's great! can't praise it enough! love it.

when shopping for the zero I had stumbled on a similar priced orange pi board boasting much better specs like around pi3 spec for zero price (its actually cheaper then zero with free postage) the gains being Quad-core Cortex-A7, 512mb ram, Ethernet port at the cost of having no built in wifi for the same price. but decided not to risk it figure it wouldn't have as much support.

decided to get the pi zero (for another room) and it has been a pain, wouldn't work with my half my usb hardware(1usb port is crippling when your hubs are not supported) by default wasn't clocked at the advertised speed, had to mess around with headless install because it wouldn't support my only/spare wireless keyboard/s but after a couple of days finally got the software where I wanted.

(really glad I spend time to get headerless up and running and didn't go out and buy another keyboard and hub)

then realize (well think) its too slow for what i wanted which I didn't think was too intensive tasks. mostly transmission/smb server that would also occasionally watch a locally stored movie file on tv. still seems a nice bit of hardware but have to find some other use for it

anyway tldr does the $10 china orangePi stand up well to the pi3 ? is it any good? ;)

Thanks

W. H. Heydt

Re: zero vs orange pi?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Those sound like questions better asked on an "Orange Pi" forum (if there is one...). And note that a quad-A7 system is *not* comparable to a Pi3B. Sure it's quad core, but the A53 cores of the Pi3B are much faster, per clock cycle, than A7 cores.

Leeloo

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:33 pm

"Orange Pi" forum (if there is one...)
I have no idea but If there is I didn't want to make another internet account and Im sure the orange pi guys would tell me if I'm comparing it to a raspberry I should ask on the Raspberry forums :D

I did some more googling which I should maybe have done first but I prefer peoples opinions over benchmark scores.

you are correct though, it isn't even close to the pi3 but the benchmarks say at the same cost orange is double performance of the zero.
Last edited by Leeloo on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Leeloo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:33 pm
"Orange Pi" forum (if there is one...)
I have no idea but If there is I didn't want to make another internet account and Im sure the orange pi guys would tell me if I'm comparing it to a raspberry I should ask on the Raspberry forums :D

I did some more googling which I should maybe have done first but I prefer peoples opinions over benchmark scores.

you are correct though, it isn't even close to the pi3 but the benchmarks say at the same cost it is double performance of the zero.

There is no direct comparison as the Hardware Architecture is completely different.

Please do not ask here about the Chinese alternatives of which there are several, the majority here would say spend the extra and buy a RPi 2B or 3B.

With a Raspberry Pi you get a quality product, good software continuously developed and an active Support Forum as well as supporting a Charity..
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Leeloo

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Please do not ask here about the Chinese alternatives of which there are several, the majority here would say spend the extra and buy a RPi 2B or 3B.

With a Raspberry Pi you get a quality product, good software continuously developed and an active Support Forum as well as supporting a Charity..
I did get the 3b and a zero so official pi stuff has my support ;)

should alternatives be allowed to be discussed? it seems a little harsh if not but I guess I understand and if admins want to lock and delete this thread I don't mind.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Leeloo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:08 pm
should alternatives be allowed to be discussed? it seems a little harsh if not but I guess I understand and if admins want to lock and delete this thread I don't mind.
There is limited tolerance for *discussion* about other boards. It is best put in the Off Topic forum, since it *is* off topic. Feature comparisons are usually tolerated. What the moderators give short shrift is troubleshooting other boards. After all, these forums are financed and maintained by the Rapsberry Pi Foundation and it is--at the very least--rather rude to come here looking for help on an SBC that the RPF does not benefit from.

You will find, I think, that opinions here are partisan towards Pis (entirely understandable) and if you ask "which is better..." the anser here will almost always be "Raspberry Pi" (also understandable).

I can understand that you don't want to proliferate accounts, but if you are thinking of using a board made elsewhere, then it behooves you to at least read the forums that apply to that board, and if you want to ask questions about it, ask there (which probably means you'll need to set up an account). The real trick is to ask questions without comparing it to a specific other board.

HawaiianPi

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Many of the competing products have great hardware but crappy software and support. Unfortunately software and support for competing products is not something you'll find much of on the Pi forums. For that you'd need to go to the appropriate product's support forums.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 am

I suppose it's worth noting that IBM came to dominate the mainframe market (70% market share) with so-so hardware but very good support and pretty decent software. At this point, the Pi is far and away to most widely sold SBC (over 90% of the market, at a guess) with good support and solid, well maintained software. I guess it goes to show that things haven't really changed that much over the last 60 years...

mikerr

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 am

It should be mentioned that a large amount of threads here are basically linux / debian based - not actually pi specific
- most answers could equally be applied to any other machine running a debian variant (Armbian, ubuntu on PCs etc)

The Pi, or other SBC is often people's first exposure to linux and the Pi community is so huge, it's probably now the largest linux community :)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:33 pm

mikerr wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 am
The Pi, or other SBC is often people's first exposure to linux and the Pi community is so huge, it's probably now the largest linux community :)
While that might be a slightly unnerving possibility, I have on occasion wondered what fraction of new Linux systems Pis account for. One would really like two measures of that. One with and one without dedicated web infrastructure (that is, separating out the commercial/datacenter usage which has got to be huge). It also depends on how you count Android devices...

Heater

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:53 pm

W. H. Heydt,
...I have on occasion wondered what fraction of new Linux systems Pis account for.
Almost none.

Given the uncountable numbers of Linux instances on "cloud" servers, in routers, in all kind of embedded systems. Not to mention Android and Chrome books etc...

How many Linux machines are visible to normal humans is another question. Which is perhaps nothing to do with Linux as such. For example Apple machines are Unix based. Even Windows 10 now has a "Linux Subsystem for Windows". There is no actual Linux in there but it runs all the familiar Unix stuff.

Where are we going with this debate? I have no idea but it's good that people have exposure to Free and Open Source software and can start to get the idea that they can have some power over the computers that rule our lives today. Rather than just use some black box from some company somewhere.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:45 am

Heater wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:53 pm
For example Apple machines are Unix based.
The lineage for OS/X goes back to bsd unix, IIRC. It wandered in Apple-land when they bought NEXT and recycled Jobs. On the other hand, I recall reading somewhere that MS Windows is POSIX compliant...

Return to “Off topic discussion”