sayhello

Banana Pi - Model: BPI-M2-Berry compared to Raspi : fully compatible ?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:03 am

hello dear all,

new to this list.

one question - as a beginner i am musing about the question which system to use:
i love this great community for its many users and the options to share ideas, knowledge and code.
Should i buy a Raspberry Pi or a banana Pi.

Note: the Banana Pi - Model: BPI-M2-Berry - is it compatible to the Raspi !?

Banana Pi - Model: BPI-M2-Berry: with- CPU: Allwinner V40 Quad Core 32-Bit ARM Cortex A7 with 1.2 GHz

it is told that the Banana Pi is (fully) compatibel to the Raspi 3
in other words: can i use the above mentioned Banana Pi and work with this?`
Banana PI M2 Berry is fully compatible [in regard] to the connections of the Raspberry PI 3B and in regard to the Raspberry addons

Banana PI BPI-M2 Berry is the open source hardware platform, Banana PI BPI-M2 Berry is a quad-core cortex -A7 CPU ,use Allwinner R40 design, it support WIFI+BT on board.and support SATA interface on board. Banana Pi BPI-M2 Berry series run Android, Debian linux, Ubuntu linux,Raspbian system and other OS. Banana PI PBI-M2 Berry hardware: Quad Core ARM Cortex A7,ARMv7 CPU, 2GB DDR3 SDRAM, all size is same as raspberry pi 3. note ,BPI-M2 Berry not onboard eMMC flash support.
Banana PI BPI-M2 Berry with Gigabit Ethernet port, It can run Android smoothly. The size of Banana PI BPI-M2 Berry same as Banana Pi BPI-M64, support 1080P video, the 40 pin GPIO header is pin-compatible with Raspberry Pi.
The new BPI-M2 Berry is a tiny little computer with great big ambitions. The expandable single-board device runs either Linux or Android and features impressive specs that outshine comparable products by a substantial margin. Highlights include a quad-core ARMv7 processor, a Mali 400 MP2 GPU, and support for 1080P ultra high-definition video.
Well i want to run a system which is attached and connected to this great community.

should i take the original - the raspi or
can i also take the Banana PI M2 Berry ?

Btw: there are rumors about the Raspi 4 out there.

When is the next version - the RASPI 4 expected!?

love to hear from you

regards

VG

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Banana Pi - Model: BPI-M2-Berry compared to Raspi : fully compatible ?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am

They are not completely compatible.

Buy a Raspberry Pi. Just better.

Raspberry Pi do not announce schedules for new product. But you are OK for the moment, there is no Pi4 on the horizon.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:15 am

jamesh wrote:
Raspberry Pi do not announce schedules for new product. But you are OK for the moment, there is no Pi4 on the horizon.
Doesn't that constitute an announcement and we can all now speculate on the emergence of RPi5 from its cocoon.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

sayhello

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 am

hello you both

many thanks for the quick reply - and for the advice.

great to see this community - alive and so supportive..

greetings
sayhello

procount

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:20 am

As a beginner, the technical nuances between the two devices are mostly irrelevant to you.
You should be considering more of the following aspects: the help, support, resources, tutorials, books, local raspberry jams, hardware hats, community, PiWars, magazine, podcasts, blogs etc. Far more are available for the Raspberry Pi than any other similar device, so you will be able to learn a lot more and more quickly.
If you want to be sure your device is 100% compatible, just buy a Raspberry Pi.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

jamesh

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:10 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Doesn't that constitute an announcement and we can all now speculate on the emergence of RPi5 from its cocoon.
Think that just matches what Eben said a while back? There will be a Pi4, and unless you are a flatearther, it's over 12miles away.

davidcoton

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:18 pm

jamesh wrote: There will be a Pi4, and unless you are a flatearther, it's over 12miles away.
Hmm -- I live within 12 miles of Cambridge. Does that make me a flat earther? :lol:
I'm not quite a fen flatlander either.
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

jamesh

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:18 pm
I'm not quite a fen flatlander either.
I am !!

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 pm

procount wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:20 am
As a beginner, the technical nuances between the two devices are mostly irrelevant to you.
You should be considering more of the following aspects: the help, support, resources, tutorials, books, local raspberry jams, hardware hats, community, PiWars, magazine, podcasts, blogs etc. Far more are available for the Raspberry Pi than any other similar device, so you will be able to learn a lot more and more quickly.
Good list. I rather suspect that there is more activity and more resources around the Pi than *all* the other SBCs, combined. Certainly more Pis have been (and are being) sold than other SBCs. Can you imagine any other SBC maker remarking that "it's hard to schedule low volume production runs"...where "low volume" is less than 500K units per year? (Not direct quotes, but it's the gist of what Dr. Upton said, and the volume number is what he used.)

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 pm

jamesh wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Think that just matches what Eben said a while back? There will be a Pi4, and unless you are a flatearther, it's over 12miles away.
Kind of depends on how high up you are (and, yes, I understand that by my standards, Great Britain--I'm referring to the island--is fairly flat). Do I need to get out Bowditch and look up the distance to the horizon for height above "ground" (in Bowditch they're actually concerned with height above the sea)?

sayhello

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 pm

hello

many many thanks for the reply - great to hear from you

convinced - i am overwhelmed by this clear and concise arguments.

this is what was aiming for - i need this great community,

keep up the great work

regards - sayhello

and now i am going to buy a Raspi 3 ;)

jamesh

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:10 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 pm
jamesh wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:

Kind of depends on how high up you are (and, yes, I understand that by my standards, Great Britain--I'm referring to the island--is fairly flat). Do I need to get out Bowditch and look up the distance to the horizon for height above "ground" (in Bowditch they're actually concerned with height above the sea)?
I live in the fens, 2m above sea level, and its i flat. Very very flat.. Although from my offshore racing years, it's about 12M to the horizon IRC.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:33 pm

i'm Dutch, where I live its about 4 meter below sea level! :mrgreen:

gkaiseril

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:39 pm

You should look beyond just the hardware compatibility. The support the manufacturers and developers provide is important as well as the community of users support and exchange of ideas. This is especially true for beginners who might not have enough experience with understanding hardware and software differences and how to compensate for them.

davidcoton

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Does the Banana Pi community ever spend time debating the distance to the horizon in Holland, England (Fens), and elsewhere? Or do they just do slapstick (slipping on the discarded wrapper of a Banana PI?) :lol:
@Jamesh's next project is to attach a laser distance measure (long range!) to a Pi....
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

Return to “Off topic discussion”