Heater

Re: Asus Tinker board

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 pm

Interesting. You got working better than I ever imagined possible.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:13 am

Serious I think.

He's right, this forum is paid for by the Rpf, so asking for help on a competitor s device is a bit rude.

It's great you also have s Pi. But it's not really an excuse, and playing the education card is a bit disengenous.

But maybe someone can help while I decide what to do with this thread.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:55 am
I have a Raspberry Pi as well :|

But by helping me, you're not helping a corporation, you're helping a person learn and accomplish things that the Pi alone cannot quite handle.

Is not the Raspberry Pi foundation's aim to teach people to code? The device used should not matter.

I'm not asking someone to fix my problem with another SBC, merely to inform me of how I might go about achieving what I need.

In summary: I cannot tell if your post was a joke or serious.
I was being serious, very serious, why should you use this Forum to help ASUS fix an issue with THEIR Hardware/Software :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ask Asus to donate a few $$$$$$$$$ if they want free advertising :D
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Heater

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:33 am

Let the thread stand.

It's a great example to everyone as to the pitfalls of trying to use Pi like hardware that does not have Pi like support.

I'm not suggesting people don't try out other SBC's. There are many other great SBC's out there, many of them meet requirements the Pi cannot. But one has to realize that unless the vendor provides support or one has the skill or there are others around to provide a support network one may be buying a brick.

I do sympathize with Imperf3kt's plea for help. Whilst the Pi is all about computer software education that does not necessarily include sorting hardware issues with competing products. Especially as this is to do with graphics acceleration which is very different.

Bottom line I guess is that there is likely very few people around here who even know how to deal with that particular hardware.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jahboater

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 am

This thread is a good advert for the Raspberry Pi.

The Pi's support community is so good that its helping people with other SBC's.
Clearly a beginner reading this thread would be put off buying any other board.

hippy

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 am

piglet wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 am
Other boards shouldn't be seen as "competitors".
In the early days the Foundation's hope was that the Pi would spawn a gazillion similar products and clones. But things do inevitably change when one becomes more business-like and one needs to secure revenue streams to ensure future development, to fund educational goals, or simply pay for staff and other resources. Boards from other manufacturers are competitors when they reduce that revenue stream, even if they are helping fulfil goals which the Foundation shares.

This forum is here to support the Raspberry Pi and no one should expect support for competitor's boards when those competitors fail to support their users themselves.

Promoting competitors, encouraging people to move to them, insisting that anyone here provides the support for those products, is deserving of short shrift.

When people come begging for help I think it is a little different. Short shrift there is rather like 'you made your bed so sleep in it; you are being punished for your mistake and we are going to revel in that, aren't going to help you one bit'. Some may believe that's what people who make mistakes deserve. I prefer to lend a hand to help alleviate their plight, even if their predicament is of their own making.

But that doesn't mean all pleas for help need to be answered with the help they seek. Sometimes 'that's how it is; you chose that path and this is the inevitable consequence' is the correct response - which is what mine would be to Imperf3kt here. What additional help may be given rests upon what individuals are prepared and willing to give.

I don't think asking is as insulting as some are making it out to be. Asking if there is help is a lot different to demanding help, seeking it is very different to having an expectation of entitlement to get it. Of course some people are quick to want threads closed which they don't like, would be quite happy to drive away those they don't want here. That's a complete over-reaction when 'sorry; this is not the place for such help', 'try the manufacturer's forum' would suffice.

There's a big difference between the occasional asking for help and becoming a support forum for a competitor.

I would not like it if the policy were rigidly we are not going to be allowed to help others; that feels too much like 'you aren't going to be allowed to rescue those drowning because they didn't choose to travel on our line' to me.

Return to “Off topic discussion”