hansotten

Re: Asus Tinker board

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Seems the Asus Tinker Board is now easier to get hold of.

A respectable Raspberry (and more) webshop sells it for €69.07 from stock

https://www.pi-supply.com/product/asus-tinkerboard/

Support has not changed, https://www.asus.com/uk/supportonly/TIn ... _Download/

Only the Kodi image is withdrawn. TinkerOS Debian seems to have an update 2017/02/07

Funny read in the faq (chenglish ;) )

34. What model of LCD panel is compatible with the tinker board
The DSI interface is refer to the most popular design from Raspberry Pi, that allows users to connect the 7” display
from Raspberry.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:54 pm

hansotten wrote: Only the Kodi image is withdrawn. ...
This: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/08/kodi_crackdown/ might have something to do with that.

bensimmo

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Not sure why they would withdraw it because of that, there is nothing wrong with KODI or similar. They have not gone after KODI.

It's people using it to illegally recieve payed for services (similar to using pirate software) or selling it in such a way that that is what it is designed for.

Raspian isn't withdrawn if people used pirate software or similar dodgy streaming services.
Neither has Windows been withdrawn if people plugged into WMC or to get illegal services or play pirate games or programmes.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:02 pm

bensimmo wrote:Not sure why they would withdraw it because of that, there is nothing wrong with KODI or similar. They have not gone after KODI.

It's people using it to illegally recieve payed for services (similar to using pirate software) or selling it in such a way that that is what it is designed for.

Raspian isn't withdrawn if people used pirate software or similar dodgy streaming services.
Neither has Windows been withdrawn if people plugged into WMC or to get illegal services or play pirate games or programmes.
I could see a company withdrawing Kodi over concern (fear?) of being sued for providing a legal product that purchasers have used in illegal ways. I have a vauge recollection that that has happened, though not with Kodi, at least not yet. When thing get ugly and lawsuits start getting tossed around, you do NOT want to be the one with deep pockets.

mikronauts

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 pm

I tried to order two of the tinker boards from CPC Farnel the day the CNX story ran.

I emailed their sales, asking for how much for two with shipping to Canada... about a week later I got an email saying they no longer have stock.

Today, the page is gone, and the Asus site lists the Tinker board as "Support Only".

Did Asus withdraw it from the market already?
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Heater

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Perhaps this arrest of an evil gang of Kodi distributors is something to do with Kodi and/or the Tinker Board disappearing from Farnell's pages. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38906561

I think this copyright "mafia" is way out of control.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Heater wrote: I think this copyright "mafia" is way out of control.
I can't really argue against your point, since I agree that the RIAA and MPAA have been abusive. On the other hand, my wife is a published author so I have concerns about the ability to enforce copyright. (I also think that copyright runs too long, but that is largely due to the efforts of the Kingdom of the Mouse and I expect an effort to extend copyright even further in the relatively near future.)

EULERPI

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi

The ASUS Tinker board may have been withdrawn from sale at least from CPC uk:

https://www.techgig.com/tech-news/edito ... Sale-91249

Regards

Nik

bensimmo

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Heater wrote:Perhaps this arrest of an evil gang of Kodi distributors is something to do with Kodi and/or the Tinker Board disappearing from Farnell's pages. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38906561

I think this copyright "mafia" is way out of control.
No chance, the RaspberryPi is still sold for a start, there is no difference. That and Amazon FireTVs and Sticks and many other products would need to get pulled from everywhere. And scrap all PCs, XBoXs etc.
Pure and utter..... Codswallop

More than likely they've had a load of complaints, from people buying them, as not fit for purpose.

stderr

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:57 pm

I was looking at this, I can't believe there's no SATA, that's the thing that is almost never included and is very much needed. But does this really run at 1.8GHz without even a heatsink? If true, that's rather remarkable.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 pm

stderr wrote:I was looking at this, I can't believe there's no SATA, that's the thing that is almost never included and is very much needed. But does this really run at 1.8GHz without even a heatsink? If true, that's rather remarkable.
If you view the unboxing video linked earlier, they apparently didn't. One fairly large heatsink in the box with it.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Heater

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 pm

bensimmo,

Before you get so trigger with the "Pure and utter..... Codswallop" abuse you might like to consider the following:

1) We now have to pay a copyright levy on every blank CD or DVD or hard drive we buy. Just in case we are storing copyrighted content on them.

2) We now have to pay extra on our taxi fares to cover the "broadcast" of copy righted material if the taxi driver happens to have his radio playing.

3) The Raspberry Pi is used by millions for no other purpose than watching movies and such. I.e. using Kodi and the like.

Perhaps, possibly, maybe, ASUS has decided it does not want to enter that snake pit.

Heater

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:52 pm

6by9,

Please don't waste our time by linking to some guy opening a box.

There is no useful information there.

bensimmo

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:56 pm

There is no useful information taking about some coincidental kodi claim.
;-)

6by9

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Heater wrote:6by9,

Please don't waste our time by linking to some guy opening a box.

There is no useful information there.
Er, Heater, 45seconds in he removes a heatsink from the box. stderr had asked:
But does this really run at 1.8GHz without even a heatsink? If true, that's rather remarkable.
So no it isn't remarkable because they haven't. Or are you thinking Asus put it in there as an ornament?
Is that not pertinent to the question?

I'm fairly certain I've seen reference to the heatsink in the documentation that has now disappeared too.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Heater

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:22 pm

@bensimmo,
Yeah, OK, perhaps I am speculating too much.

@6by9,

Yes, there is a board and a heat sink in the box.

So? There is no useful information in the linked video.

Anyway, I said nothing about possible thermal issues.

jamesh

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Heater wrote:@bensimmo,
Yeah, OK, perhaps I am speculating too much.

@6by9,

Yes, there is a board and a heat sink in the box.

So? There is no useful information in the linked video.

Anyway, I said nothing about possible thermal issues.
The heatsink and video was nothing to do with you. So drop it.

As for the Kodi claim - it's nonsense. The reason the Asus board is disappearing from shelves is NOTHING to do with Kodi. That particular conspiracy is, indeed, codswallop. If people started taking things off the market because they were being used illegally despite being inherently legal, there would be less guns around for start.

Citation needed? Sorry, cannot say why/what I know, but I do know.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Heater

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:45 pm

OK, James, fair enough.

My speculation is nothing but "codswallop".

However "cannot say why/what I know, but I do know" does not help much.

It's a curious happening, we can't help wanting to know. It's not often a big company announces a product and deletes it a week later.

Heater

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:47 pm

James,
If people started taking things off the market because they were being used illegally despite being inherently legal, there would be less guns around for start.
Have you never heard of the DMCA?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:25 am

Heater wrote: It's a curious happening, we can't help wanting to know. It's not often a big company announces a product and deletes it a week later.
Possible reasons for such an action...

Sales numbers below expectations.
IP problems.
Hardware problems.
Asking themselves, "Why are we even IN this particular business?"

stderr

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:29 am

6by9 wrote:
stderr wrote:I was looking at this, I can't believe there's no SATA, that's the thing that is almost never included and is very much needed. But does this really run at 1.8GHz without even a heatsink? If true, that's rather remarkable.
If you view the unboxing video linked earlier, they apparently didn't. One fairly large heatsink in the box with it.
Thank you, all the sites I saw just have the board and it didn't have the heatsink on it. I think it is still impressive if it is a go with just the passive heatsink if it's really at 1.8GHz.

stderr

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:32 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Asking themselves, "Why are we even IN this particular business?"
They do sell motherboards, so this would be a reasonable fit. I guess they go into bespoke strawberries: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/08/single-st ... 7-6435546/

bensimmo

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:09 am

If we're going to speculate then my first though initially would have been some legal issue with duplicating/cloning the RaspberryPi so closely and especially with Farnell having the license to make the Pi.

jahboater

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 am

stderr wrote:
6by9 wrote:
Thank you, all the sites I saw just have the board and it didn't have the heatsink on it. I think it is still impressive if it is a go with just the passive heatsink if it's really at 1.8GHz.
Its probably a much smaller lithography. The Pi is 40nm, things like the Odroid C2 are 28nm (and mine runs cool at 1.7GHz with a passive heatsink). Since even 28nm is huge by modern standards, perhaps Asus have gone even smaller.

jamesh

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 am

It would still need a heatsink even at a lower process node I suspect. Hence the one in the box.

Raspberry Pi has a great support network, with good reliable software. What's the biggest reason board like this fail?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Off topic discussion”