Heater

Re: Asus Tinker board

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 pm

hansotten,
Ken Olsen ... 1977: There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.
That makes me chuckle.

At the time he said that I had been dreaming of having a computer at home for nearly ten years. Since I was a kid, I would have killed to have a PDP 11 at home! We were ecstatic that micro-processors became available to us a year or so before.

Perhaps Ken was right. Most people don't want a computer, at home or anywhere. Not in terms of a computer they will be using as such. No, what they want is gadgets, smart phones, tablets, stuff to surf the web play music, watch video with etc. The fact that there are computers in their is incidental to them.

PeterO

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:54 pm

bensimmo wrote:4K will just become the norm, the same thing was said for HD TVs
<snip>
There is no reason for manufacturer to sell 1080 displays unless it's budget or higher quality mid level price.
I didn't ask about 50" 4K TV sets, I asked about 4K monitors (i.e. for desktop use on a PC where a 50" screen is non-appropriate),

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

RaTTuS

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm

PeterO wrote:
<snip>
There is no reason for manufacturer to sell 1080 displays unless it's budget or higher quality mid level price.
I didn't ask about 50" 4K TV sets, I asked about 4K monitors (i.e. for desktop use on a PC where a 50" screen is non-appropriate),

PeterO
well TBH we're starting to use them in the office, though not in quantities yet...
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-gaming/ ... k-monitors
prices are getting pretty good
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

PeterO

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
PeterO wrote:
<snip>

PeterO
well TBH we're starting to use them in the office, though not in quantities yet...
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-gaming/ ... k-monitors
prices are getting pretty good
I note they are listed under "Pro Gaming", so it seems they aren't yet being considered as standard office/desk top equipment.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

hippy

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:31 pm

PeterO wrote:If you google for "Asus Tinker board" it seems the majority of headlines focus on the 4K video capability of this board.
Is that really the feature that will attract most potential buyers away from the PI ? Surley that's only important for the media centre builder ?
That seemed to me to be the market which the ASUS Tinker Board was primarily aimed at. The Gigabit LAN, doubled RAM and faster 32-bit CPU would also seem aligned with that, and the main reason for accepting a 60% price premium over a Pi.

It will compete with a Pi where people find it more preferable but I don't really see it as a direct competitor; more a better fit and alternative if one wants what it has to offer, or the Pi doesn't have what one needs.

It's understandable they will want to try and appeal to all Pi users as an alternative, but given the price premium I expect they will find that difficult.

For me it mostly fits with the 'if you want something a Pi doesn't have then buy something else, but be prepared to pay more' sector.

Heater

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Wow, 64.90 Euro in Finland. Compares well with the 54.90 Euro of the Raspberry Pi 3 in local stores.

RaTTuS

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:52 pm

PeterO wrote:
hansotten wrote: Quote: The research group anticipates global market penetration for Ultra-HD televisions to pass 20 percent by the end of this year
I wonder what predictions were being made for the still-born 3D TV market a few years ago ?

PeterO
http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/3d-tv- ... aking-sets
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

mikronauts

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm

I do.

I just switched my main development setup to a 55" 4K TV, and I love it.

Previously I used 2x 32" 1080p tv's.
jamesh wrote:
PeterO wrote:If you google for "Asus Tinker board" it seems the majority of headlines focus on the 4K video capability of this board.
Is that really the feature that will attract most potential buyers away from the PI ? Surley that's only important for the media centre builder ?
I wonder how many PI owners currently have a 4K monitor ?
It's going to take a while for the education market to upgrade to 4K.

PeterO
I wonder how many PEOPLE have a 4k monitor/TV. I've only ever seen them in shops!
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

bensimmo

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 pm

PeterO wrote:
<snip>

PeterO
If you did mention 3D TVs... a lot of Pi's are connected to a TVs as their monitor (the fact it has a digital TV reciever is by and by). So they are coming and things do look nicer at native resolutions. Not everyone uses a traditional monitor, it convenient for sound to use a TV as one, most people I know do now.
We use TVs a our school all large and also very large touch screens. They are nicer than the IWB they are replacing for most uses. So yes school may well end up having them.
From memory they are cheaper than our IWB setups.

rpdom

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 pm

PeterO wrote:I didn't ask about 50" 4K TV sets, I asked about 4K monitors (i.e. for desktop use on a PC where a 50" screen is non-appropriate)
I will admit I haven't seen any in the shops yet, although my work laptop had an option to upgrade to a 4K screen. (I have the 1080P version, with two more 1080P monitors plugged into it).

drgeoff

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:13 am

This topic seems to be degenerating into "mine is bigger than yours". (Monitors that is.) :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:07 am

It's not the size of the monitor that's important, but how big a desk you have to put it on.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Heater

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:18 am

Yeah, 4K capability is a bit wasted here.

We don't have any TV at all, never mind a 4K one. I have never owned a TV in my life and 'er in doors has taken to watching everything over the net with her laptop.

There are 4K monitors turning up in the local computer/electronics mega store. Quite a few too choose from already. I'm not about to spring the required 6 or 7 hundred Euros for one though. Not unless my current Samsung dies.

Still after a year or so 4K might just be everywhere and a lot cheaper.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:35 pm

That's if there even is real 4k capability. If it's just upscaling, some (most?) 4K TVs do that anyway. People are reporting that it's not able to decode 4k video in realtime. Even if they fix that, will it downscale to 1080p before upscaling to 4k again?

Heater

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Playing 4K vids is not really my thing.

What I would be interested to know is how well the Tinker handles webgl in the Chrome browser.

AndyK

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:02 pm

So my ASUS Tinker board arrived from CPC today.

It came with a printed instruction sheet which has some rather vague information about "downloading an image and using Win32DiskImager" to put it on a memory card. It doesn't specify what image or where from.

Fortunately I had downloaded the Debian image from ASUS before they removed it yesterday so I flashed a card and booted it up.

When you boot the board up the HDMI output is blank for quite a long time - long enough to have you wondering if it is working - and it comes up a second or two before switching into X. Might make troubleshooting tricky..?

Once in the desktop it does "feel" quite fast and snappy. I've yet to do a back to back comparison with my Pi3 - I've been using a PI Zero lately so that might be why it feels faster. There's little supplied software besides Chrome and command line programming tools like gcc and python and some libraries to access GPIO.

I didn't have much time to play since this was done in a lunchtime at work. When I get home later I'll add some packages and have more of a play.

ASUS really do need to sort the software side of things out. Coming from the PI arena the lack of support for this board is very stark. I am only glad I managed to download the Debian IMG file before it vanished or I'd have a £50 paperweight.

Andy

Heater

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:00 pm

No problem?!

The Tinker Debian OS is under "Drivers and Tools". You don't get to see it unless you select "other" from a drop down box. Then it's mixed up with a long list of documents and other stuff.

Not exactly easy to find. At least I could not find it.

GoingPostal13

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:15 pm

It could probably be a bit more obvious (there's nothing in the little manual about it) but hard to find? Took me all of a minute to spot it. Perhaps your click-foo needs more training :D

Heater

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:40 pm

My click foo is just fine. Give that I don't actually have a Tinker board perhaps I was not tenacious enough about it.

So far, from what I'm hearing, I'm content to give the Tinker a miss for now.

alphanumeric

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:33 pm

When I looked on the ASUS Canada site earlier in the week, a search for Tinker Board turned up nothing. Its there now though. I used the contact us option on their web site to ask about the missing info but got no response.

paulhothersall

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Have one now.

One weird thing I noticed right away, is it does NOT support 1080i of an old TV I had kicking around. so SSH-fu it was to do initial testing on.

BTW, if you install tightvncserver (or other) you will need "sudo apt-get install xfonts-base" to get it to work.

now to test with a 4k screen..... big buck bunny 1080p60 / 2160p30 / 2160p60 and see how it does in VLC

paulhothersall

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 pm

paulhothersall wrote:Have one now.

One weird thing I noticed right away, is it does NOT support 1080i of an old TV I had kicking around. so SSH-fu it was to do initial testing on.

BTW, if you install tightvncserver (or other) you will need "sudo apt-get install xfonts-base" to get it to work.

now to test with a 4k screen..... big buck bunny 1080p60 / 2160p30 / 2160p60 and see how it does in VLC
4k output works, video playing in VLC.... is obviously software and is black screen (4kp60) or a pixelated slideshow

off to try kodi now

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:36 pm

paulhothersall wrote:

4k output works, video playing in VLC.... is obviously software and is black screen (4kp60) or a pixelated slideshow

off to try kodi now
Is what it's outputting actual 4k or is it 4k downscaled to 1080p and then upscaled to 4k?

paulhothersall

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:53 pm

paulhothersall wrote:

off to try kodi now

kodi sucks, so ....... its basically not ready with the GPU acceleration, or honestly as a real product yet.

paulhothersall

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:59 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
paulhothersall wrote:

off to try kodi now
Is what it's outputting actual 4k or is it 4k downscaled to 1080p and then upscaled to 4k?
The desktop is 4k 60Hz. I think they imply that media can be upconverted to 4k screen size

but obviously the GPU capabilities need to be baked in, and they are not yet

Return to “Off topic discussion”