bensimmo

Asus Tinker board

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:43 am

Now a *brand* getting in on the act, filling in the higher end gap people are actually asking for and for a price slot where it should sit.

To me that a nice nod to the Foundation for getting it right.

DougieLawson

Re: Asus Tinker board

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:35 pm

It's quite a bit more pricey at £55+taxes+shipping.

I like the colour coded GPIO header that's a neat twist.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bensimmo

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:38 pm

It is, but it's positioned higher in the range as such, so as would be expected to cost more. Filling what everyone said they would pay more for.

It do like the GPIO too.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:42 pm

What's the unique selling point?

Faster?
More RAM?
4K HDMI?
Brand name?

If it's just the 4K or the brand then I'm not interested.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

kevhowson

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Think they've wisely not tried to compete with the Pi. I don't think anyone can. In terms of value for money, software support, hardware support and community support the Pi is pretty much out on its own. Think the Tinker Board is looking at a niche position alongside the Pi for people who need extra performance of one form or another and are willing to pay nearly twice the price to get it.

bensimmo

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:18 pm

DougieLawson wrote:It's quite a bit more pricey at £55+taxes+shipping.

I like the colour coded GPIO header that's a neat twist.
It's £55 incl VAT, £45 ex VAT

bensimmo

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:23 pm

DougieLawson wrote:What's the unique selling point?

Faster?
More RAM?
4K HDMI?
Brand name?

If it's just the 4K or the brand then I'm not interested.
Faster, twice the ram, 4k, gigabit, better sound spec, lower BT spec, but changeable WiFi antenna with the connector Pi left off.
So just a general beef up of the Pi3.
At least that's the blurb and their benchmarks.

So pick which are important to use.
Pi3 at the moment for me as it runs everything I do and is a bit cheaper.

Though as they have a camera and display connector, it may mean they will hopefully bring out some nice screens we can use with the Pi (or not)

jahboater

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:31 pm

I believe the cortex-a17 is armv7 which is the same as the old version Pi2. The new Pi2 V1.2 and the Pi3 are both armv8 (and are therefore 64-bit capable).

I like the antenna socket.

Other than that (the wifi) doesn't the Odroid-C2 offer more or less similar features? The C2 is 64-bit, has eMMC etc for less money?

bensimmo

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:12 pm

It was more a bigger 'brand' had got on on producing something.
I don't know much about the other boards.
Popular branding can sway people with some marketing, certainly bring in the media and gaming people.

But v7a looking at the rockchip specs, used in various Chromebooks among things.
So 32bit, so will loose out to anyone needing 64bit.

EdwinJ85

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:31 pm

I like the idea of it (and the fact the Pi B+ layout appears to be a format/standard now as it's so good) but I worry that like other pi clones with hardware from less open manufacturers I worry support will be terrible. If you buy a Pi and an official Pi add on/HAT everything just works, and the support in this forum is brilliant for any other issues. I know if I buy a Pi the hardware will be supported for years, I still swap my SD cards between models as that is such a useful feature and means my older Pis still get used. If Asus can't match that then all the extra power in the world won't make it a viable replacement or higher tier alternative for/of the Pi.

I also wonder how well it will be supported by external developers. One of the joys of the Pi is if I get bored of one project like a Kodi machine I can just swap out the SD card and get put something else on like retropie or motioneyeOS. Without good software, hardware tends to just sit in a corner gathering dust.
Hello!

bitbank

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:02 pm

jahboater wrote:I believe the cortex-a17 is armv7 which is the same as the old version Pi2. The new Pi2 V1.2 and the Pi3 are both armv8 (and are therefore 64-bit capable).
It's true that it's 32-bit armv7, but it's faster than Cortex-A53 at the same clock rate. The RockChip RK3288 is a powerful 32-bit CPU. It's used in the Asus Chromebook Flip (running at 1.8Ghz). You can run Kali Linux on the Flip and have a fast ARM laptop. In my benchmarks, the Flip runs code 3-5x faster than the RPi3. At this point in time, it's not very interesting to have an ARM chip from several years ago finally land in an experimenter SBC with poor community/software support. If you're interested in bleeding edge, a more impressive product would be a SBC containing the latest/greatest ARM technology. I plan on getting a Samsung Chromebook Plus to run Linux on it. It should be something like 5-10x faster than the RPi3. Qualcomm / RockChip / NXP should be showcasing their best technology with affordable SBCs instead of teasing us with underwhelming products (e.g. Dragonboard410c).
The fastest code is none at all :)

drgeoff

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 am

"on sale" has different meanings.

In the UK it means "available to buy".

In the USA it means "price reduced from normal".

bensimmo

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:05 am

drgeoff wrote:"on sale" has different meanings.

In the UK it means "available to buy".

In the USA it means "price reduced from normal".
On Sale in the UK means, price is now at it's normal selling price. Previous prices have been temporarily inflated so that we can now have a sale, though may also have been cheaper previously when not On Sale.

alphanumeric

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:11 am

I think I might buy one at some point for a Media Center setup. The color codded GPIO pins is a nice touch. The antenna connector/jumper cable is a nice touch too. I have a usable cable and antenna in my parts box all set to go. I have an ASUS laptop that I really like. Two ASUS desktop PC's that have given me many years of flawless service too. When I get things I like that are reliable I like to stick with that brand. This is the first time I've actually been tempted to buy a Pi clone. It won't stop me from further Pi purchases though. There is nothing like the real thing baby. :D

fivdi

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:48 am

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:55 am

fivdi wrote:ASUS Tinker Board Unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMPOJH-okXQ
YouTube Comment wrote:Currently, a £55 paperweight as I can't seem to find a link to the OS image anywhere.
Says it all. ASUS have not put the website/forum stuff in place to support their RPi lookalike.

fivdi

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:57 am

Yeah, there's very little information available.

alphanumeric

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Yeah, that sucks. It was stated it will run Debian. I haven't found any dedicated custom image for it though? Searching for Tinker Board on the ASUS site comes up empty too. Very disappointing to say the least.

fivdi

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:20 pm

bensimmo wrote:Now a *brand* getting in on the act, filling in the higher end gap people are actually asking for and for a price slot where it should sit.

To me that a nice nod to the Foundation for getting it right.
I fully agree with what bensimmo says here and it's definitely a nice nod to the Foundation for getting it right. The Pi is a standard just like the Arduino. If this wasn't obvious to me before it is now.

It would be really nice to see color coded headers in the Raspberry Pi too. I think they're a fantastic idea.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:27 pm

alphanumeric wrote:Yeah, that sucks. It was stated it will run Debian. I haven't found any dedicated custom image for it though? Searching for Tinker Board on the ASUS site comes up empty too. Very disappointing to say the least.
Has anyone tried it with NOOBS or plain Raspbian?

fivdi

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:51 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:Yeah, that sucks. It was stated it will run Debian. I haven't found any dedicated custom image for it though? Searching for Tinker Board on the ASUS site comes up empty too. Very disappointing to say the least.
Has anyone tried it with NOOBS or plain Raspbian?
I wouldn't expect it to be that standard.

alphanumeric

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:50 pm

I don't have one yet, to try. And having second thoughts about buying one.

Heater

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:52 pm

I cannot imagine Rasbnian working on this thing out of the box. The Pi relies on the GPU and the secret binary blob to get it booted. I'm pretty sure this machine does not have the same GPU or even use the same boot method.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:56 pm

In that case ASUS need to do something very quickly or they'll get a reputation for selling things that are useless.

Of course, that discussion is off-topic for here but ASUS have also failed to provide a sensible support forum for their SBC.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:33 am

Heater wrote:I cannot imagine Rasbnian working on this thing out of the box. The Pi relies on the GPU and the secret binary blob to get it booted. I'm pretty sure this machine does not have the same GPU or even use the same boot method.
To be fair... I have a couple of Cubieboards that, when set up, using a custom Berryboot, gave the option to install "Debian"...and it turned out to be Raspbian. It actually runs okay on them.

Return to “Off topic discussion”