pygmy_giant

Re: What was your first computer?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:25 am

BBC micro baby

jackokring

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:44 am

(a friends ZX81)->ZXSpectrum 48K->Oric 1->Commodore 64->CASIO handheld->(other pepole's PCs and Amiga A500)->Amiga A1200->Various PC desktops->a laptop->Thinkpad->desktop PC->EeeeeePC A901->Pi : And various CPU/microcontrollers along the way.
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

mntmst

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:13 am

Several home brew machines from the 70's. Cards from one of my 8080 machines.
http://myplace.frontier.com/~zoneminder ... es_012.jpg

geekify

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:00 am

a terrible mac

techpaul

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:14 am

A very old (70's) HP 'desktop' with single line LED display and teletype printer and built in cassette storage, also could do paper tape via the teletype.

Then got to work at a division of DEC in engineering had PDP-11 under my workbench and others to hand, even some PDP-8's

Many many other computers and micros since then.
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/

toxibunny

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:27 am

Shatner approved.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

ski522

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:35 pm

VIC-20...at the time wanted an Atari 400 because I had an Atari 2600, but the sales person talked me out of it saying a real keyboard was much better then that stupid membrane keyboard the Atari 400, plus the cost savings had a lot to do with it...I was able to get some extra stuff with the VIC-20 like a data cassette player and extra RAM. The rest was history as they say as I went on to help assist in developing some the technologies we all use now a days like Wi-Fi, Ethernet and that thing call the Internet :).

Still I miss those days when the computer world was so new that it seem like the possibilities were unlimited...sure that's still somewhat true today, but now a days we have a better concept of what processor speed, RAM size, and graphics power can and can't let us do.

Mortimer

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Back in the late 80s at university, I remember getting to use this thing called JANet. It was great, I was able to send something called an email to my friends at other universities, browse documents and all sorts of weird and wonderful things. :D

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Mortimer wrote:Back in the late 80s at university, I remember getting to use this thing called JANet.
ah JANET, many fond memories of her. :)

jpop12

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:41 pm

a mighty ATARI 400...
with that terrible membrane keyboard.

Operating system Atari 8-bit OS
CPU MOS Technology 6502B
@ 1.79 MHz (NTSC version)
Graphics 384 pixels per TV line, 256 colors, 8× sprites, raster interrupts
Sound 4× oscillators with noise mixing, or 2× AM digital
Connectivity 2× (or 4×) Joystick, 1× Atari SIO, 1× (or 0×) PBI, 1× (or 0×) Composite Monitor,1× (or 2×) ROM cartridge

Pytlicek

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:59 pm

AMD 700 MHz :)
Riva TNT2 64MB
20GB HDD

:lol:
Sorry for my English :)

Beat Scientist

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:29 am

Comodore something (C*64 I expect) loading from cassette ^_^
...Oh How times change.

when I was about 13 I managed to get my hands on a 2nd hand IMB 286, running windows 3 with DOS and using the now obsolete Floppy Disks ^_^
Started building my first PC when I was about 15 it took about a year buying one component at a time (starting with my Cyrix 150mhz CPU) - this one was able to make use of CDs ^_^

A lifetime of upgrades, technology advances, operating system evolutions and fiddling with computers and finally something like the PI comes along!

Its funny to see how fast technology has progressed with regards to size and 'power' over the years, my new Raspberry PI Model B is is about a minimum of 12th of the size (C*64) of those:).
....and now I have a reason/opertunity to learn linux ^_^
"Keep Pushing Forwards" - Beat Scientist

http://raspberrypisynthesis.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.PureSynthesis.co.uk

JPB-HK

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:39 am

Here is a progression of the computers I have used:

NCR310 (CDC160) 4K 12bit core memory, with paper tape punch and reader. Later added i/o typewriter. (Dad got one from his work (NCR) when they scrapped it!)
CDC 160 a.jpg
CDC 160 a.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 9778 times
ZX81, modified to support a 'real' keyboard, had the extra memory(16K) and thermal printer!

Apple ][ + with an Epson MX100 printer (wide carriage)

PC's Limited (before name change to Dell)

Ampro XT board - an all-in-one PC XT on a card

Mostly Dell PCs from here as well as Microchip microcontrollers.

Really having fun with the Raspberry Pi!

John
NCR 310 - ZX81 - Apple II+ - Dell/Intel - Mac mini... Raspberry Pi!

kiranghag

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:55 am

NEC V20 PC clone/5MHz/640KB/1.44 MB FDD/CGA at school

286 clone/1MB/HGA/80GB IDE at friend's house

First home PC was years later - PentiumMMX 166Mhz/16MB/2GB IDE/SVGA Color :o

Last home PC/rig was headless Intel Dual ATOM 330, replaced by RasPi :)

LetHopeItsSnowing

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:57 am

An acorn electron, kind of the BBC Micro's little and cheaper brother, i know very few people who had one, I suspect it must have been reduced, most of my possessions as a child seemed to have been.

Its still in my loft and it still works, i plugged it in a couple of years back, the only thing i could find in the house with a composite in was a projector so i played an ancient game on an 90" inch.... It took a few google searches to find the command to load a game from tape, CHAIN "".
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

kelav

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:58 am

I had an apple II/c

As far as i know, it is still working (despite the abuse of me as a child being piss off by the horrible gameplay of the games on it), i learn to program on basic with this, which was my first language i could write (even before learning to write french ^^)

Sadly, thoughout my life i haven't been around people who was interested in computer science (as i was) so i feel like a permanoob on programming.
Take a look at my wiki on the Raspberry Pi : http://madnerd.org

LetHopeItsSnowing

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:05 am

Grumpy Mike wrote:Back in 1975 there were no designs for a micro computer published, so I had to design my own. I used the 2650 Signetics chip and it has 256 bytes of memory.
first.jpg
That my friend looks like stuff i make today... I love electronics mounted on wood, there's a certain irony to it.
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

2bit

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:20 am

The first computer I OWNED ( actually just got it recently , awesome but not for everyone ) was my Open Pandora . EXTREMLY Off topic I know but The Prometheus here doesn't happen to be the ex-mod from the open pandora boards :?: ?

unclejed613

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:58 am

the first computer i worked on was a Heathkit Z80 machine with 8in floppy drives. it was the inventory computer where i worked, and i had to look up part suppliers from time to time. about the same time i bought a Sinclair programmable calculator. soon afterwards, i bought a Sinclair ZX-81, and then a TI-99/4A (actually 2 or 3 of them... i was trying to figure out a way to network them through the cassette port). later i worked with IBM PCs a bit. the first "real" computer i owned was a used Osborne-1 (Z80 CPU, 2 5in floppy drives) and used it to run a small BBS (300 baud hayes modem), then bought a Heathkit/Zenith Z-100 (IBM compatible) with a whopping 10Meg hard drive... after that it's a bit of a blur.......

back when i owned the ZX-81, i would play practical jokes on the sales staff at Radio Shack, such as the "one-liner-of death" on their display model Color Computer..... i think it went something like this:

Code: Select all

100 for x=0 to 65535:poke x (int(rnd*255)):next x
run
and since the Basic user space was near the top of memory, and the display was down near the bottom, the screen would fill with garbage, and about 30sec later, the one liner would self destruct as it over-wrote itself and locked the machine up...

fxmaker

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:35 am

HP 9820 and IBM 1130

First program was something like:
10 print "Enter a number: "
20 input
30 print "Wrong!"
40 goto 10

My classmates spent hours trying to guess the number.

cyrano

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:31 am

Heathkit 1->ZX81->Commodore 64sx->Sinclair QL->Digital PDP11->Sanyo MBC550->IBM PC g->Mac+->Various Macs->Pi
A number of other CPU/microcontrollers along the way. And I still own some of those above... :oops:

randrade

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Oh man... looking at your posts, I've obviously been spoilt (then again, I'm probably much younger than you guys :P)

My first computer was a really slow desktop, with a Pentium 3 and Windows ME. I forget the specs and I no longer have it around (I was like 5 at the time, and once I broke the CD drive tray, my dad took the computer away from me).

My first serious computer was a Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 256mb RAM, a nice Radeon graphics card, a 40GB HDD and it had Windows XP. I got this in 2003 and it was a beast. I used it for five years (something you don't see much these days) until I moved on to the world of multicore CPUs and laptops.

stu232

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:54 pm

C64 was my first real computer, I had a few other TV Game type devices beforehand though.

I still use my C64 daily, infact I'm now the proud owner of 9 of them :)

trainboy

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:29 pm

My first computer was a National Semiconductors "Scamp" kit. This had a single CPU, 1K of EEprom and 64 bytes of ram. This was 1973. Microcontrollers were is short supply. We built an EEprom eraser out of a wooden box and a UV lamp. We "wrote" the code in assembly language by writing down the Op Codes on paper then inputed them to the EEprom directly on a EEprom programmer. From this I moved on to the Motorola MC6800. Each morning I had to enter 2k bytes of program into the ram so that testing could begin (about 1-2 hours). I still remember some of those Op Codes!!! Then, to speed up product develoment, I made a Kansas City interface for a tape recorder to which I could store my code and retrieve it (1 -2 minutes). Microcontollers have moved on apace since "back in the day". I now mostly use ATmel and PIC devices, these all come with C compilers and debug environments which reside on PC's, making development very easy. I decided to give the Pi a chance so that I could develop some projects at home, Geek Alarm!!!, but up to now I am finding the experience very difficult, there is a wealth of data available but not supplied in a constuctive form - everybody is an expert, everybody has done it there own way everybody uses there own gargon - when did an I/O board become a Shell? When did a Batch file become a Bash?

dealextremefan

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:22 am

Well the first machine I got my hands on was a TRS-80 from Radio Shack. We had a few of these at school and did some (very) basic programming on them. I was in love.

Later, I got the venerable Commodore 64 and it was my best friend for several years. Basic programming and gaming. Its funny, today I have all these amazing games with breathtaking graphics and spectacular gameplay, but I really did have just as much fun with Zork, MULE, Elite, and Ultima.

(it was a simpler time...)

joseph :lol:

Return to “Off topic discussion”