mpalomer

Re: What was your first computer?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 am

Toshiba Satellite Laptop, circa 2001. It had a 4:3 13 inch 1024x768 display, 1GHz Celeron CPU, 256MB of RAM and Windows XP. I wasn't really into doing techie things back then (I was like 8) but I remember playing lots of Runescape and Neopets on it. The thing was built like a tank, It was still working in 2009, and it probably still works now (it didn't break in 2009, we just gave it to relatives).

michele.x

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:32 am

The first computer I ever used was my uncle's Commodore PET (maybe was the 8032, but I'm not sure) connected with a daisy wheel typewriter.

My first computer was a sinclair QL, initially used with a big colour TV, then used with a green phosphor monitor, then added a Star NL-10 printer.
Next, I upgraded with an XT compatible "made in Taiwan", that took the printer and monitor from the QL.
Next I got a second hand Epson 80286, using the same monitor and printer. Next PC was a Vobis branded 80386. The green monitor followed the other PC in the attic. The next computer was an assembled Pentium I.
Those computer were unfortunately discarded, because after years where they were badly stored in the attic, they were almost nonfunctional. Especially the older ones.
The next PC I bought were a Pentium IV the current Core i3, I'm using now.

By the way the green phosphor monitor is still working, after replacing a couple of capacitors, and the Star NL-10 also is working ok: actually is still connected to the PC, and used to print envelopes and scaring the cat.

Harold1946

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:52 pm

My first computer was an Ohio Scientific Superboard. I paid $275.00 US for it in 1978 and built a wooden case for it. It was a 6502 based system with 4 k of RAM running at 1MHZ. It booted up in a BASIC interpeter that was written by Microsoft. Programs were saved to a cassette tape recorder and were painfully slow to load. I remember making several copies since it was so error prone that it was not a good idea to only have a single cassette. The monitor was a television and RF modulator that would turn it into a 30 character wide display. :geek:

poglad

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:23 pm

JPB-HK wrote:NCR310 (CDC160) 4K 12bit core memory, with paper tape punch and reader. Later added i/o typewriter. (Dad got one from his work (NCR) when they scrapped it!)
CDC 160 a.jpg
How helpful of them to actually include the desk. If only manufacturers today were so thoughtful! ;) :lol:

Aren

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:17 am

Before I had my own, it was an Apple II at my dad's school. Also a terminal at Oxford University (server unknown).

Then I got my own Vic-20. Followed by a Dragon-32 (got a tour round the factory which was neat). Next was a Beeb-B.

Got a job at an IBM dealership, and had a "portable" IBM PC for a while, then another Mac (I forget the model). Someone got me into this new fangled Java and something called HTML - lol. Had internet account on Compuserve in about 1995.

Various 286 and 386 Elonex PCs, then homebuilt from then on. Windows ME was a revelation! Played Need For Speed a lot with a mate.

Now, an upgraded HP-Compaq, about 4 years old. 3Gb RAM, Pentium D @3Ghz with SATA and Div-I. Also, Raspberry Pi B overclocked to 1.25Ghz, unbranded Gingerbread 7" tablet, Sammy Galaxy Y phone, and Justop A10 SmartTv box.

Aren

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 am

When I was at school, about 30 years ago, we were lucky to have been given an old "thing" from the Gasboard. It ran Fortran, had a card reader, a line printer, and filled the specially airconditioned false floored room!

It also had a "Reset" thing which you could pull, and several kids did pull, which from what I could tell simply physically disconnected the thing from the main boards. We were told it was very expensive to fix! It had I think about 48k RAM and a large tower thing containing hard drives which I can't remember the capacity of, but it wasn't very much!!

We then got a RML 480Z - for which I wrote a CESIL compiler - which annoyed the hell out of my computer studies teacher!!!!

I also had a Casio calculator that my Dad had bought me, it was programmable, I think it had Fx512-p in it's name, I wrote a space invaders game for it. When I did my maths O level, we were allowed calculators for the first time. I'd pre-programmed it for a few things. Still only got a C.

Aren

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:57 am

I got an A in computer studies LOL.

Aren

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 am

I have used a PET. Hated it. I wanted a 101 or a TRS-80 but didn't get one :(

I very briefly had a thing, was it a Newton, I can't remember the name or anything. It had squidgy keys and a small display. That's all I can remember of it. It lasted a week before it went back and I got the Dragon.

I did try and build my own Z-80 board and had that big thick Z-80 programmers' manual!!

Nemesiscorporation

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 pm

lets see, in my 40's, got middle age spread :twisted: ,geeky, sci-fi fan and interested in making my own computer gear.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48K. It has several interfaces, joysticks and add ons. My favourite game on it was Atic Atac, which is now bizzarely owned by Microsoft. Still have the Atic Atac tape, but it appears to be stretched due to use and will not load. Think when I get a chance I will play the audio into Ardour, Cubase or similar and compress the length of play slightly, then send it to the spectrum to see if it loads.

A few years later I picked up a BBC B 32K with monitor, followed by a BBC Master with monitor, light pen, AMX mouse, co-processor and rom board. Since then I have picked up various things for the BBC that are being mostly thrown out, from break out boxes to a buggy. My BBC Master has more peripherals than most modern PCs.

I was given a BBC 3000A and I picked up a second for spares on Ebay. The metal monitor stand is a really good idea.

I was given an Archimedes 7000+ which works really well and has been expanded to 128mb.

Also have an Acorn Electron, Atari Mega, Amiga 500 with 501 expansion, Amiga 600 and Amiga 1200 with midi expansion, blizzard 1220 (4mb) and internal SD card expansion.

All my computers are still fully working.

Risc OS is my preferred OS for the Raspberry pi as it is faster and more familiar to me since the BBC 3000A days. Just have to make sure to keep remembering that ARM has switched from 26 bit to 32 bit addressing. I intend to use the Raspberry Pi to get back into programming again.

Andrea

djones60

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:19 pm

zurak wrote:An SCCS-85 (designed by a Purdue University student), that ran assembly language for an Intel 8085 computer. 4K RAM, 4K ROM and an S-100 sub-system with 32K RAM (Mostek MK4104) - all wire-wrapped.

Then a JB Ferguson "Big Board" running CP/M. It's bolted to the side of a Shugart SA-801R 8" floppy drive, uses an Apple II (green phosphor) for a screen, and a Cherry keyboard and still runs.
I was a student at Purdue during the early 80's too and still have my partially build SCCS-85. Does anyone have the manual, schematics, build info for it?

As far as my first PC goes, it was an 1802 Elf followed by a Kim-1. I still have the Kim-1 :)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Aren wrote: I very briefly had a thing, was it a Newton, I can't remember the name or anything. It had squidgy keys and a small display. That's all I can remember of it.
sounds like a Grundy Newbrain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grundy_NewBrain

Ik0adr

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:24 pm

1- ZXSpectrum
2- Apple //e (with cp/m z80 card to run BASIC)
3- IBM PC 8088 (the original!)
4- 8086 clone
and so forth...

mrpi64

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:40 am

Pi, believe it or not!
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

PiGraham

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:43 am

Texas Ti59 programmable calculator.
Sinclair ZX81 (self-assembled kit)

Then lots of others. I still have most of them.
Last edited by PiGraham on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

AndyD

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:47 am

gkreidl

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:57 am

A Nascom Z80 development board, 1 KB RAM and another 1 KB video RAM.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mrpi64

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:11 am

A lot of Spectrums and Macs here - where's the IBM or olivetties? (olivetties?)
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

DougieLawson

Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 am

First one was a £49.95 Sinclair ZX80 built from a kit
Then Microtan65 (built from a kit)
Then
Amstrad CPC464
Amstrad CPC6128
Commodore 64
Amstrad PC 2516 (two floppies no hard disk)

My brother built an Acorn Atom (6502 forerunner to the BBC Micro) from a kit

s/370/168D
and then a bunch of other mainframes, PCs and laptops
then a Viglen MPC-L
then a Raspberry Pi

There's been a little bit of change in the last 35 years.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Ravenous

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26 pm

mrpi64 wrote:A lot of Spectrums and Macs here - where's the IBM or olivetties? (olivetties?)
A very good question, with an answer young folk won't believe :)

When the IBM PC came out (around 1980 ish, anyone know?) it was a seriously expensive piece of gear - a business computer, certainly not a home computer. It cost a few thousand I think - and that was in '80s money. Even in the '90s they tended to be over a thousand for a basic IBM-compatible (i.e. a clone) PC. I can't remember when IBM-compatibles became common for under a grand, but it might have been around 1990 ish...

Cancelor

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm

poglad wrote:
JPB-HK wrote:NCR310 (CDC160) 4K 12bit core memory, with paper tape punch and reader. Later added i/o typewriter. (Dad got one from his work (NCR) when they scrapped it!)
CDC 160 a.jpg
How helpful of them to actually include the desk. If only manufacturers today were so thoughtful! ;) :lol:
I used to fix machines like that, the same size as a desk. One had a single display in it that was split 50/50 between two users, on on each side of the 'desk'! The display faced upwards and each half was viewed via a mirror, half the screen was upside down text and all of it was mirror imaged!

All that coz the CRT was expensive.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm

Ravenous wrote:
mrpi64 wrote:A lot of Spectrums and Macs here - where's the IBM or olivetties? (olivetties?)
A very good question, with an answer young folk won't believe :)

When the IBM PC came out (around 1980 ish, anyone know?) it was a seriously expensive piece of gear - a business computer, certainly not a home computer. It cost a few thousand I think - and that was in '80s money. Even in the '90s they tended to be over a thousand for a basic IBM-compatible (i.e. a clone) PC. I can't remember when IBM-compatibles became common for under a grand, but it might have been around 1990 ish...
I think the first Amstrad PC compatible came out in 89 or so.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Ravenous

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:11 pm

jamesh wrote:I think the first Amstrad PC compatible came out in 89 or so.
Now I think you're right... and well under a grand, probably £500 or so. (My memory was faulty - well, back then I only needed 640K.)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Didn't own them at the time, but I did work for a company that sold Olivetti M20 computers, with the very idiosyncratic Zilog Z8001 16-bit CPU inside, and their very own, and different operating system called PCOS. In fact that company never sold any of them and they were trashed as unsellable, I rescued a few from the dumpster, I still have one or two somewhere.
the M20 was launched in 1982, so about a year before the IBM PC-XT.

mimi123

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 pm

My first PC was a 133 MHz PentiumPro.
Seems to be new compared with the others old computers.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:11 pm

The first computer I had (physical) access to was a PDP-8S (1972).
The first computer** I built was a kit based from a design published in (what was then) "Wireless World" c1979 (as a "self-training exercise" - whilst it was "scrapped" I still have most, if not all, of the design documents).
The first computer I bought was also z80-based, a "Jupiter Ace" (Same era as the zx80/zx81 but ran "Forth", rather than "Basic" and still works!).
Trev.
** and my first calculator was built from a kit too (Sinclair Cambridge - the salvaged led display has been used with a Pi here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... l_board.29 )
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Return to “Off topic discussion”