Heater

Re: What was your first computer?

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:23 pm

When I were a lad (1969) we had comedy on'tv. Like Monty Python's Flying Circus.

And you try and tell the young people of today jokes like that ... they won't get it.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

LTolledo

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:51 pm

I saw the term "Fortran".... :o

reminded me of college days...
as I remember it...
....we were tasked to do a program multiplying [n] matrix by [m] matrix, inputting real numbers (no imaginary numbers)
we had 3 hours to make the code, input, compile and test it, comparing the results with manual computations
after the instructor confirmed our code worked, we passed the subject... :D

....now returning you all to the regular topic..... ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

rin67630

Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:46 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:51 pm
....we were tasked to do a program multiplying [n] matrix by [m] matrix, inputting real numbers (no imaginary numbers)
That is the beauty of Fortran matrix computations. Exactly the same code worked with imaginary numbers, you just had to put an i in front of the value. You described the matrix, entered the formula in the same way it were a trivial resistor ladder network and got the frequency response of a complex RLC ladder in a breeze!
I felt like being the king of the universe as it worked out of the first try!
It was not a given exercise. The math teacher just introduced matrices with imaginary numbers and the CS teacher on his side told us about the ability to process imaginary numbers in Fortran an I decided to do the rest on my own.

karanprakash

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:42 am

Hello,
My first computer was a Dell Inspiron.

AnthonyKatz

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:41 am

7 years ago,i got my own pc (Dell laptop).

bestazy

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:37 pm

My first computer like device was an Intellivision, a early game machine I recieved as a Christmas gift.

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS 100, or something like that https://onplanners.com/notebooks/best-pocket-notebooks It had a 25 MHz processor, 140 megabyte harddrive, 4 megabytes of ram, it had no video card and ran Windows 3.1. This was in the early 90s, close to 25 years ago.
Last edited by bestazy on Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:46 pm

bestazy wrote:
It had a 25 MHz processor, 140 megabyte harddrive, 4 megabytes of ram, it had no video card and ran Windows 3.1.
You must mean 2.5MHz.
also, the model 100 portable had no harddisk, and just 32K RAM.

so with the specs you mention it is very unlikely that your first computer was a model 100.
Its also unlikely that it was a model 1000, as the specs you give are far to high for one, and the model 1000 couldn't even run Windows 3.1.

So it is bit of mystery what you mean.

ejolson

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:02 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:46 pm
bestazy wrote:
It had a 25 MHz processor, 140 megabyte harddrive, 4 megabytes of ram, it had no video card and ran Windows 3.1.
You must mean 2.5MHz.
If running Windows 3.1, then 25MHz sounds correct. It likely had an i386SX-25 processor as in the Tandy 1000 RSX.

A few years later I had a computer by vTech with an i486DX-33. That was the first computer I actually owned. It arrived around Christmas (woohoo! that's today--good tidings to everyone) after earlier comparing the many models available at Micro Center with my dad by means of my own program provided on a floppy.

In the end the testing was a bit of a failure, because my program favoured those computers which, by chance, didn't have a DOS high-memory extender installed. Anyway, it was a good computer that easily ran some of the first versions of Linux and still runs today, though upgraded with a 486DX2-66 and RAM.

AnthonyKatz

Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:48 am

Has anyone ever done a Windows upgrade (W 7 to W 10)on their pc,this is whta i am going to do now,i need the help of someone with experience.

rpdom

Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:51 am

AnthonyKatz wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:48 am
Has anyone ever done a Windows upgrade (W 7 to W 10)on their pc,this is whta i am going to do now,i need the help of someone with experience.
This is the wrong place to ask about Windows.

Heater

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:45 pm

It might be, if they want to use that Windows to develop software fro their Pi. As I do.

As it happens I have done the Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade on three machines in recent months. The is nothing tricky about it. Just follow the instructions: https://www.techsupportall.com/upgrade- ... n-in-2018/

Then to make life easy in developing software for the Pi I install the Windows Subsystem for Linux which allows one to use all kind of Linux compilers and tools.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

XxRa5pGuyXx

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:56 pm

My first computer is a laptop. Dad gave it to me. It had 4 gig of ram and very bad graphics card, but I use it for over 3 YEARS.
I played some games with it(simple games like Minecraft), and I used Scratch too. I got a new laptop but my old one is still at my house.

Trollenator

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:55 am

My first was an Atari console unit with game cartridges I bought used to play games with my 5 yo son. Later bought a used 5 1/4 disk drive for it with a bunch of programs and games on them. That was around 1985. Two years later went back to school for chemistry at age 33 and got a Commodore PC 10-II with 640K, 2 - 5.25" floppies, no HD and an amber monitor. Hate green! lol

Almost flunked out my first term getting hooked on computers. Bought a 286 next then started building my own rigs and others for friends. Still do but it's boring now so I got me a Pi 4B 4gig with 64gig pre-loaded SD. Picked it up this afternoon at the PO. I ordered it from Amazon.ca and it shipped from Canakit one province over in Vancouver, BC. Is $10 cheaper at their website. lol

I'm typing this on a old Micro$oft wireless keyboard running off the Pi right now. Needless to say the setup and Raspbian install went flawlessly. All updated and ready to rock.

As an older retired dude who's birth mother died of Alzheimers I needed a new hobby that was challenging enough to help keep the brain cells busy and this ought to do it. ;)

Do they make FireFox for the Pi? Hate Chrome and all the Google bs.
Bad things happen to good people to balance the good things that happen to bad people.

ejolson

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:09 pm

Trollenator wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

As well as raspberry pie I understand eating plenty of Camembert cheese also helps to avoid Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6073537/

I think the Chromium version of Chrome which ships with the Raspberry Pi does not have the same privacy concerns as Google's version of Chrome.

It appears recent versions of Firefox work best on the Pi with a 64-bit operating system. Right now that means going with a distribution that is supported by a third party, such as

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4&t=188448

My recommendation is to stick with the vendor-supported Raspbian and use Chromium until futher along in learning curve. After that, it is interesting to try the other available operating systems.

Trollenator

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 am

ejolson wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:09 pm
Trollenator wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

As well as raspberry pie I understand eating plenty of Camembert cheese also helps to avoid Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6073537/

I think the Chromium version of Chrome which ships with the Raspberry Pi does not have the same privacy concerns as Google's version of Chrome.

It appears recent versions of Firefox work best on the Pi with a 64-bit operating system. Right now that means going with a distribution that is supported by a third party, such as

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4&t=188448

My recommendation is to stick with the vendor-supported Raspbian and use Chromium until futher along in learning curve. After that, it is interesting to try the other available operating systems.
Sounds like a plan. I have a paid ProtonVPN and mail account so going to try to get that working and the more I learn the more I find that I need to learn.

Survived IBM DOS 1.0 and everything else they've thrown at me since so this can only make me stronger! :)

Does my Pi 4 have a 64bit architecture? It came with a 64gig SD card 4gig ram. Will it take a 128gig SD OK or should I just format it FAT32 and go get NOOBS on it and see. Better yet can I clone the 64 with Raspbian on it to the 128 then use the 128 as my boot drive?

Wrong forum probably but none of it is a panic.

Thanks much for your advice!
Bad things happen to good people to balance the good things that happen to bad people.

procount

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:50 am

Trollenator wrote:
Wrong forum probably but none of it is a panic.
Maybe off topic, so I'll be brief...
Trollenator wrote:
Does my Pi 4 have a 64bit architecture?
Yes, although Raspbian is 32-bit. There is a 64-bit kernel available and some other 64-bit third party OSes you can use.
Trollenator wrote:
It came with a 64gig SD card 4gig ram. Will it take a 128gig SD OK
Yes.
Trollenator wrote:
...or should I just format it FAT32 and go get NOOBS on it and see?
You will need special formatting tools to create a FAT32 partition for NOOBS. Most utilities will format an SD card over 32GB as exFAT.
If you want to use NOOBS on an SD card >32GB, I suggest you switch to the NOOBS-compatible PINN program. There is a version you can flash to an SD card using Balena Etcher.
Trollenator wrote:
Better yet can I clone the 64 with Raspbian on it to the 128 then use the 128 as my boot drive?
Yes. Use the SD Card Copier that is built into the menu to clone your SD card to a larger SD card (in a USB card reader).
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Trollenator

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:58 pm

Again thank you for your help.

A friend on an unrelated forum was the one who put this Pi bug in my ear talking about the things he's been doing with them and and Arduino unit he says has lots more interesting things to do with so I may be getting one of those too. Seems there are more opportunities to develop skills in electronics but I worry about my capacity to absorb it all. lol

Time to clear off some desk space in the mancave and roll up my sleeves! After I go out and move some of the snow that fell last night so we can get out of the driveway if need be. :(

I formatted that 128 but as an exFAT for now. I had used it in my dash cam for my drive home from the west coast a month ago to my home here in northern Alberta and it was right full of boring driving videos mostly at night.

I'm on my PC atm so will have to switch to Pi online and try using those progs you linked to later tonight.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again procount!

procount

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:07 pm

PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Trollenator

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:21 pm

New questions and you have only yourself to blame. :D

I've followed a few links to GitHub but really have no clue how to use what I find. Must I join to download from there? Seems I don't.

I'm used to using zip, rar etc types of files on the PC platform but unzipping zips on the Linux platform and making sure they go to the right place is all Greek to me at this point.

Please do not waste your time spelling it all out to me here as I'm sure I can find the info in a Sticky somewhere with a bit of searching. Probably at GitHub itself. :)

Decided to skip the snow shoveling. With any luck our neighbour down the road will swing by in his Versitile tractor with the 14' blade and make short work of what would be a painful effort on my part. Getting old sux but the alternative is worse! lol

Mercy buckets mon ami!

Trollenator

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:11 am

Managed to get my system onto the 128G SD @procount . Found a little program to do the FAT32 format on my Win7 PC. http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm

Did the copy with SD Card Copier that took ages then powered off, swapped out the 64G and she booted up perfect. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your help.
Last edited by Trollenator on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donimedia

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:00 am

Hello and Happy New Year !

My first steps in computer science were made in college , during a Technology course , in the 80s .

This is where I first worked on a computer ; It was a Thomson MO5 .

( the competitor of the ZX81 Spectrum and the Commodore 64 )

Regards .

David Donisa
Academypedia.info - David Donisa

ejolson

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:46 pm

johnbeetem wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:32 pm
The first computer I owned is a Heathkit H-8, a much better design than the S-100 bus machines popular at the time both in terms of hardware and software.  Octal front panel.  Very elegant thermal design which conducted waste heat from the linear regulators to the chassis.  Everything was kit form except the Intel 8080 CPU card, which I eventually altered to help implement PC-relative addressing.  16KB of memory on two 8KB memory cards.  1200 Baud cassette tape storage, with Heathkit silly-scope handy to monitor playback signal level.
Also amazing was the unique way the cards mounted at a diagonal--neither horizontal or vertical. Was that to fit them in a shorter box, for thermal dissipation or to allow hobbyists the ability to see each card after they were all installed?

It would have been nice if higher quality sockets and connectors less prone to corrosion were provided, as I lived in a rather humid climate at the time.

ZacKnox

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:26 am

I first played on a windows 98 box with my brother around year 2002. Together, we thought ourselves how to use all the office applications and how to type fast.
Then I grew dark, I started playing around Command prompt. I got fascinated till the system gave up.
Around year 2007, we got another dying system, but through trial and error, we revived it and install windows xp on it. This was one of the happiest moment of my life. I finally got the chance to use windows XP even though around this time, most of my friends were already using windows Vista.
But still, I was happy to transit from ugly windows 98 to xp. Quickly, we install everything we needed. I remember helping my priest type some stuffs to make some money for myself.

Then our dying system with windows XP started giving us headache, we started learning how to troubleshoot a computer without even reading any manual as I can't even afford a phone that connects to the internet.

when the headache is too much, we take the system to a local engineer for repair and I would get some good opportunity to watch him closely and learn a great deal. Through this process, I was now fully equipped to troubleshoot my dying computer that I started helping other people too.

At last I got a phone (a Sagem or something), with this, a new world opened:
I started learning advanced troubleshooting techniques. I was now en expert at fixing desktop computers, troubleshooting and fixing damaged MBR partitions to make them boot again.

TheoPA3DSS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:21 pm

My first one was a tandy TRS80 model 1 with 16K RAM and 16K ROM, i believe back in 1982, loading and save programs with casette recorder.
After a year or so expanded with 48K RAM and an expansion box with a single sided single density 5 1/4" disk with NEWDOS80 as operating system, i spend many many many hours those days and lots of times until deep in the night, was big fun :D

BenFioren

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:02 pm

My first go on a computer was my dads ZX Spectrum 48k.
But my first computer was the ZX spectrum 128K +3 , which we then added either an argos or tandy tape player to.

I won't lie, I was envious of my friends who owned the C64. That thing sounded and looked great in the day. But I later came to notice the games on my spectrum ran smoother most the time.

Plus I'll never forget the day while staying with him and his parents, they took us out to buy games. We both bought Robocop. His the c64 version and mine the spectrum.
Got back, loaded his up and though the music was amazing, it was horrible to play and hard.
Then we plugged my spectrum in and played my version all night ( probably until 9pm, we were about 9 or 10 ) which was superior.

After that I was a NES, Megadrive, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS4 player.lol
Though I did own a Dell and Acer laptop.

Return to “Off topic discussion”