timbro321

Does leaving your Pi on all the time do anything???

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:45 am

Just wondering if I leave my Pi on all day, does it do it any harm? Processor life-span? Thanks and I look forward to any of your Replies!

;)

malakai

Re: Does leaving your Pi on all the time do anything???

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:19 am

It shouldn't hurt anything if you have usb drives attached and you experience large power spikes or drops it could hurt them but this is the same for your computer.

The Pi itself has no moving parts it has a fail safe if voltage gets to high it will turn off just unplug and wait it can take time depending on how bad the hit was and for how long but should be fine.

The worst that will typically happen is you get a power drop and the sd card becomes corrupt eject and put image back on card.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

rvalles

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Mine's on 24/7, doing distributed.net. It's overclocked with the highest (1GHz) profile, even.

Doesn't have a heatsink and it's not even hot. (tops at around 50C).

pluggy

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Probably does it a world of good, it uses BGA connections for the processer, RAM & USB hub chip. And the biggest point of failure with BGA is thermal cycling, keeping it warm all the time means there isn't any thermal cycling.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

hayesey

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:20 pm

As above, it's arguably better to leave it on all the time than keep turning it on and off.

That's why NASA don't test backup systems from time to time in space probes etc... it's more likely to fail if they keep booting it up than if it's just left off. Remember in the news a few years ago about them having to boot up Hubble's back up 486 CPU which had been switched off since the telescope launched in 1990?

Return to “Off topic discussion”