rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Remote Desktop? HOW?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:36 pm

It isn't actually a remote terminal in the same sense as Windows Remote Terminal, which is really just a remote viewer on the existing single desktop.

It's a remote terminal as in another terminal, which happens to be remote. Any number of people can log in from their own computers and each will get a desktop to themself.

If you need a program to keep running while you are disconnected, I think the sessions package may be what you are looking for.

The RaspPi is very underpowered for bitmining.

codingman

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:16 pm

jfornango wrote:Hmm... trying to get it running through PuTTY from my XP box. It gets me logged in, but no GUI.
SSH has no GUI.

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:13 am

codingman wrote:
jfornango wrote:Hmm... trying to get it running through PuTTY from my XP box. It gets me logged in, but no GUI.
SSH has no GUI.
Unless you do X11 forwarding with SSH and have an Xming (or other X-server) running on Windows.

HNY 2014
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

codingman

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:32 am

I meant without any modifications :P

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:36 am

codingman wrote:I meant without any modifications :P
No modifications needed for that. PuTTY has X11 forwarding built in, sshd can do X11 forwarding (when asked nicely). It just does what it says on the tin.

HNY 2014
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

clubby789

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:03 am

Go to www.realvnc.com. Download your appropriate VNC version.. Open the vncviewer file in the archive, and enter the details of the raspberry pi. Go into your raspberry pi and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
, then type

Code: Select all

tightvncserver
to start it. You will need to start it every time the pi is turned on, as other wise you wouldn't be able to use it. Then on your computer, connect to the pi.

DarwinAnim8or

Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:37 pm

aaa801 wrote:jezus thats the "right way" to do it but its bloated as hell

apt-get install xrdp

thatl put up a rdp compatible server on the pi
I did this and restarted my pi, but when I try to log in it says "login failed"
I use the same login details for SSH so why isn't this working?

Thanks!
-Darwin

PS: sorry for replying to an old topic!

Le_Ze

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 am

hello
I installed XRDP.
In my PC is running Windows 7 (8,8.1).
Remote desktop does not Clipboard (ctrl + c, ctrl + v)
DarwinAnim8or wrote:
aaa801 wrote:jezus thats the "right way" to do it but its bloated as hell

apt-get install xrdp

thatl put up a rdp compatible server on the pi
I did this and restarted my pi, but when I try to log in it says "login failed"
I use the same login details for SSH so why isn't this working?

Thanks!
-Darwin

PS: sorry for replying to an old topic!

mad-hatter

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Hello,
Le_Ze wrote:hello
I installed XRDP.
In my PC is running Windows 7 (8,8.1).
Remote desktop does not Clipboard (ctrl + c, ctrl + v)
Does this do it?
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... spberry-pi

Regards

Chrisf423

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:43 am

If the Raspberry Pi is connected to my computer with a Ethernet cable; can I use the Raspberry Pi to remote in???

pUnK

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:58 am

Also you can use Teamviewer http://goo.gl/g4bcGi
ExaGear Desktop - run x86 apps on Raspberry Pi
pUnK from Eltechs

AKhan

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:46 am

fixed :D

TeamViewer

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:28 am

pUnK wrote:Also you can use Teamviewer http://goo.gl/g4bcGi
Hey there, we just released a preview of the TeamViewer Host for Raspberry Pi and created a contest to go along with it. Check out the official homepage and feel free to use the topic here in the forum to discuss.

bkdowning

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:21 am

I found this series of posts generally helpful. However I am now almost three years after the series and it needs some updating. The Mac OS Yosemite does NOT like the X11 XQuartz form the PI. I get REALLY ugly terminal response on the Mac. The header bar is on the main screen and the background form the Pi takes over the entire screen with a weird transparency effect, and I see my desktop icons from the Mac's desktop. I have two monitors also. I see the background image on both. but the task bar is only on the one monitor. All background clicks are for the Mac and Not the PI. The commands for the Pi are all "off screen". Very undesirable user experience. I would not recommend using the XQuartz solution with Mac OX X Yosemite.

bridge1

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:49 am

when i install xrdp. it can connect to mirrordirector.raspian.org. help me please!

sean-france

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Djtucker wrote:Can you do this in reverse? Can the raspberry pi control my desktop?
To find the VNC viewer I used
sudo apt-cache search RDP

I picked Remmina
sudo apt-get install Remmina

If you are on the Pixel, the Add/Remove tool is easier to use.
VNC requires you to install a VNC server on your windows machine. The real VNC client is free, but believe the server on windows is not free. Remote desktop is already in windows so you have already paid for it. You may need to enable it. On most versions of windows there is a help function, and if you put "remote desktop" it will talk you through it enabling it, else just google it.

sean-france

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:13 pm

llcooljoke wrote:
Djtucker wrote:Can you do this in reverse? Can the raspberry pi control my desktop?
This is a question I am very curious as to a detailed answer to.

Raspberry Pi is capable, but not able to run certain power-hungry programs that could easily be ran on a remote server on another computer.

Can the Pi connect to Windows-based operating systems and control the desktops in such a way that those programs can be run? I have seen lots of people suggest playing Blu-Ray quality movies streaming from another PC, but what about other stuff like World of Warcraft, or Steam in general?

I am not talking about achieving full playability as if you were on your desktop, but at least minimal capability to do things like check auctions in various games, chat with guild members in game, or watch a game of League of Legends or Starcraft II in spectator mode with a controllable camera.

Would that be possible? Is it really as simple as setting up a VNC server on the Windows PC and accessing it from the Pi?
I would start by installing the Remmina client on the PI as it talks VNC and Remote Deskstop. Then if you were unhappy with the images, go for VNC. But before you buy anything for the windows machine, try it or google it. There are various flavours of VNC server and they can be optmised for different things. Less bandwidth eg JPG format or more responsive eg Raw format, so you want to find the server and setting that suits you. It would be annoying to buy something and find the Pi does not have the gutts for what you want to do.

RpiName

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:28 pm

For a remote desktop solution from within the browser (plugin-free), there's a modern solution as shown in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wthS8TP ... e=youtu.be

In the clip: on the left side you have a PC with a browser (chrome), while on the right side you have a standard Raspberry Pi 3 connected to a standard Touchscreen and WITHOUT any keyboard attached (keep reading). They are in the same LAN (but they would work on Internet too). In this scenario the PC is a client and the Raspberry Pi is a server.

The Raspberry Pi runs the UV4L Streaming Server which captures whatever goes through HDMI-out and streams it to the browser PC on request. No browser plugin's are necessary.

(Internally the Streaming Server makes use of the UV4L raspidisp driver which creates a virtual input Video4Linux-compliant device from HDMI-out.)

In the clip you can also see another interesting thing, that is the possibility of sending PC keyboard inputs towards the Raspberry Pi in order to control it from with in the browser. In the clip this possibility is used to login in the Raspberry Pi and run omxplayer which plays a video clip.

To test the above, just install UV4L according the installation instructions, reboot and connect to your Rpi with the browser at
http://yourrpi:9080/stream/webrtc

http://www.linux-projects.org/uv4l/installation/

No configuration is required.

The above is an example of use, but UV4L offers a framework for custom development and more complex scenarios.

namanam1994

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:33 am

aaa801 wrote:Yes, use vnc
i guess it can view perform few functions, but it cannot control

dagre76

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:13 pm

I suggest DWService:
look at this link https://www.dwservice.net/en/download.html
it works great

Green67

Mon May 01, 2017 2:15 am

I've found that using Tightvnc to remote either from Raspberry Pi to to a Windows desktop or vice versa.. from Windows to a Raspberry Pi desktop is best.
Green

PrasantaShee

R-HUB remote suppoirt servers

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 am

You can have a look at on premise R-HUB remote suppoirt servers. It works easily on all platforms viz Windows, MAC, Android, iOS etc.

Return to “Off topic discussion”