a.lone.wolf

Re: New theme...What do you think

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

I like the new theme, it may be a bit complex but I am sure I will get used to it, what do you think????

DaQatz

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:08 pm

The new theme is meh in my opinion. However I am happy that they switched forums. So far this one operates better. Though I have been getting database errors "Errors connecting"

a.lone.wolf

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:11 pm

DaQatz said:

The new theme is meh in my opinion. However I am happy that they switched forums. So far this one operates better. Though I have been getting database errors "Errors connecting"

Same here... The Refresh button seems to sort out the Error.

hordecore

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:18 pm

I like it if only due to the fact I can post again.  No more email address issue :)

hippy

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:26 pm

a.lone.wolf said:

I like the new theme, it may be a bit complex but I am sure I will get used to it, what do you think????

I honestly don't know where to start, and I don't expect to be recommending WordPress to anyone any time soon, but as it's Christmas Eve, in the spirit of the season I'll put up and shut up, accept that if I don't like it I don't have to use it.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Its different.

It took me a few minutes to find out how to log in but I got there eventually! And asking people to do sums to post, its a bit off, especially at 5pm of a Chrishtmash eve hic!

Oh well, so long as it doesn't get Beebed again!

And we've lost our post total too..... 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Bear in mind that this is still very much a work in progress – we're still sorting out some forum database issues, and there are lots of cosmetic tweaks we'll be making too.

Just to complicate matters, the database error some of you have been getting is nothing to do with the forum changes. It's a result of a very big traffic spike we're experiencing - we've been in a couple of national newspapers in the UK and Germany, as well as being the most-read story on the BBC's website yesterday, and the servers are struggling as a result.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Listicath

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Embedded videos are causing a problem, when they're wider than the message pane.

It looks like the text is being rendered in a box that's wider than the one being displayed, so the right-hand-side is being cut off. Makes reading some posts difficult. (See the RiscOS and Fedora discussions.)

tonycollinet

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:36 pm

The change seems to have lost all links of posts to profiles. All posts are shown as being by Guest - apparently I have made no posts! Makes finding the threads I have contributed to a bit tricky.

Other than that - I'm not sure it is up to SMF standard - but serviceable.

liz

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:38 pm

We're trying to chase down the "everything appears as a guest post" at the moment. There's some very odd behaviour being exhibited; for me, the problem simply isn't there any more and everything is working as it should, but the guest problem is still there on Eben's machine.

tonycollinet

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:42 pm

That is very odd. I'll go have another look.

EDIT: - no, still doing it. Plus I'm not sure all threads are imported. I posted to one last night which asked "what would you include in a curriculum" or similar - I can't find it now, (Although I can't search for my post so I may get there when the guest problem is fixed)

gimliflea

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Seems to be looking good. After first rrrr everythings different reaCTION.

Text seems to fit in the boxes for me ok, even after I zoomed to see better (eyes getting old!). I'm using chromium browser.

gimliflea

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:54 pm

Curious I'm sure I fixed those caps before posting?

Also I have only posted once since you changed sw, but it says 2?

SlayingDragons

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:07 pm

It's a bit rough aestetically atm, and could use a bit of polishing, but as long as it works better than wordpress I'm fine.

edit: It still seems a bit buggy though. Eh, whatevers.

redman684

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:47 pm

My biggest problem is that I'm unable to post anything using my prefered browser. (seamonkey, which is firefox)

I can log in, type a reply and it says ''saving message'' when I post the reply, but my post just doesn't end op in the thread. I had to switch to a different browser to post anything. I'm now using google chrome, but it sometimes doesn't do line breaks in the editor and every line I type becomes 1 long line and I have to scroll the editor horizontally.

Feels like an over engineered piece of forum software which has all kinds of compatibility issues because it doesn't follow the simplest of standards, all because they tried to create a "saving message" popup or something. Chances are it won't work on my phone, my playstation or (later) on my Pi either.

I am not going to switch to another browser just to please some website using malfunctioning software. So If you don't hear from me again, it's because of a malfunctioning forum.

Here's the text I tried to post for the last hour:

My (next) biggest problem is that the forum is way to narrow.

The dashboard at the top fills the width of my browser window nicely (set to the size I prefer), Then there is the website itself which only uses 50% of the available space, filling the rest with a dull, light grey color. On the front page there is a 7% white border on either side.

All nice when you don't have much text to fill the screen with and still want to let the site look nicely filled.

On the forum, the border is a whopping 20%, and there is another 10% used for member information next to each post, leaving a meager 22% of my screen for the actual posts.

It feels like you're trying to discourage us from posting anything more than a few lines, which may be okay for now, as we're mostly just venting opinions, until we start working with the Pi's

Many sites think they know best what width a visitor prefers and I know a fluent html design can pose challenges with full width graphics (as the site designer is not in control of what 'full width' is) but the new forum is taking this to a new level, while there is no reason at all to make a fixed width forum.

The forum and site designs don't match. The main site is roomy and calm with wide borders and large line spacing, while the forum design is very crowded, lots of links and images all tightly packed together and crammed in a small column on the site.

My suggestion would be not to try to fit the forum inside the site's design, it's not good for the usability and you're not in control of the content anyway. (The forum probably already has a fluent design, which is now broken by inserting it into the fixed-width site design)

spennig

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Sucks big time.

Previously, one could see 'all posts since last time'. Now one has to trawl through each section to see new stuff . Or am I missing something?

liz

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:55 pm

You're missing something. Go and have a look at the main forums page, and you'll see a thing that says "n topics with unread posts" with a speech bubble icon next to it. Click on that icon.

We are dealing with database problems (like the fact that all old posts showed up as guest posts) before dealing with aesthetics. I'm afraid that complaints which basically go: "But the old forum did such-and-such like this" will not gain any traction.

gimliflea

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Using chromium most threads render fine but when reading the introduce yourself thread the right hand sside doesn't work properly??

(i.e. lines get chopped and border not shown)

liz

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:19 pm

gimliflea said:

Using chromium most threads render fine but when reading the introduce yourself thread the right hand sside doesn't work properly??

(i.e. lines get chopped and border not shown)

We've just noticed that (and I've just had to plonk a troll who has obviously been skipping his spelling lessons when it's not the school hols). It does look like it's just that thread, so we're looking into it.

liz

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Clipping issue was mildly fiddly, but it's fixed. Keep the snag reports coming!

Point3Forever

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I agree with redman684, but I do understand the need to get database issues worked out first. A simple change (I would think) would be to change the profile picture for users without one. Currently they look… well it would be nice if they looked cleaner (no gradient, orange background, or text).

I'm also posting to try out the html editor…

Test

Canuck

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Will the site/forums ever scale for widescreen, this cramped layout hurts. Even on a average 1440x900 its bad..

http://img198.imageshack.us/im.....creens.png

tonycollinet

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Have you identified if there are missing threads? I still can't find the one I posted in last night.

Also user names are back in posts, but it is still telling me I've only got the posts I made today.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:16 pm

There seems to be a minor problem in the General Discussion forum, from page 2 down, HTML isn't being rendered.  A quick scoot through didn't show the problem in any of the other forums.

6+11

Sheesh!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Prometheus

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:13 am

Aside from the squished-in-the-middleness that's already been mentioned, I'm not finding the new forum to be too bad – it's good to be able to mark everything as read, as I either couldn't find that option on the old forum, or it wasn't there at all. :P

Also, I like that I can now upload an avatar, rather than having to join that Gravatar service in order to do so!

I did spot a couple of problems, during a quick catch-up of the topics I haven't read yet, though. Specifically, apostrophes in some posts (but not others, oddly) all have backslashes after them, and things using the quote tags, formatting tags, and some other tags from the old forum are broken and simply displayed as-is (that is to say, the tags are visible, and their effect isn't applied). Some posts are in a different font and have scrollbars within them, too. I also spotted a couple of posters who the forum has labelled as guests, whose posts are marked as needing moderator approval – is this a problem or is it just because guest-posting is enabled?

Also, even though the old posts seem to have the correct names, it looks like a lot of post-counts are wrong. I can understand if this isn't possible to fix, though.

Also, a quick question, if I may: Is there any way to see, at a glance, whether you've posted in a particular topic or not? I'm used to forum software that puts a mark on the post's icon to show this. Is it an option with this software, or is it just not there? (I don't mind either way – it's more idle curiousity than anything, since by and large the new forum seems better than the old one.)

EDIT: It looks like emoticons aren't getting automatically converted to images (I don't know if it's supposed to be that way or not – it was on the old one, though), and when I've arrived at the editing screen, all of my apostrophes appear munged up – I bet that they'll end up with backslashes after them once I click "Save Edited Post"…

EDIT 2: Or not! How odd that the apostrophes are messed up when editing, then… (I'm using Xubuntu 10.04, with whatever the current Firefox version that their repo carries is. :P)

Return to “Off topic discussion”