jcck2018

Getting a 14 year old started

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi All:
I have more of educational/non-technical question, so i wonder if this is the right forum to post, if i am wrong , please let me know where i can post this ...

i just got a Pi3 kit intended for my 13 (turning 14 in a few days) son, during his summer free time to learn about electronics, programming and just computer in general. i obtained all the documentation also books related to some fun to do Pi projects
as my self also doing this for the first time, i told him the basics and even the basic drawing and layout of the pi and explain what it does etc ...

but i got kind of frustrated because after a few days he said he was reading the material , he was afraid or unsure-how to even plug it into the TV/monitor , we finally plug it in and do it together, i had to research on how to change the HDMI resolution so the desktop isn't shown off-screen (which was not super easy to do as i had to edit a config file in the boot direct etc..) .... i was hoping he could learn how do this troubleshooting on his own as well eventually ..

education point of question:
does anybody have experience on training a teenager on pi can you share your experience ? my son is fairly verse in computer but only thing seem to interested him is to play games on iPad, that was one of the selling point for me buying him a pi is to play games while learning but i am afraid he is going toward the lazy approach and not work for it ... anybody has this experience ?

a non-technical question
i didnt intended to make this a project/class or a homework assignment for him, but do you know of any material that might get him started without having a feeling he is been locked up and doing an assignment ? on the flip side, if we don't enforce/guide the material to learn , he would probably choose not to do anything with it which defeats the purpose of my initial intention all together .... ...i need help to help him

Thanks !

drgeoff

Re: Getting a 14 year old started

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm reminded of the old adage "You can lead a horse to water ....." :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kusti8

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 pm

As a 15 year old myself who knows a lot of kids who like and don't like programming...

If your kid doesn't have the great motivation, then there isn't much you can do. I started when I was really young and taught myself because I was into it. Try and find something that he's interested in. It might not be for him, but you should try different things to see if he's interested in that. I knew someone who hated programming, but started using sonic Pi and got really interested.

So, I would look into Retropie, sonic Pi, minecraft pi, or finding a project personal to him that you could do together.

Show him some end results and what he could get out of it. If that doesn't motivate him to stick to the journey, then not much will. If it becomes an assignment, it will never stick. He has to find it for himself.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

alphanumeric

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Why not start here, https://www.raspberrypi.org/ Then check out Community, and Help.

boyoh

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:49 pm

jcck2018 wrote:Hi All:
I have more of educational/non-technical question, so i wonder if this is the right forum to post, if i am wrong , please let me know where i can post this ...

i just got a Pi3 kit intended for my 13 (turning 14 in a few days) son, during his summer free time to learn about electronics, programming and just computer in general. i obtained all the documentation also books related to some fun to do Pi projects
as my self also doing this for the first time, i told him the basics and even the basic drawing and layout of the pi and explain what it does etc ...

but i got kind of frustrated because after a few days he said he was reading the material , he was afraid or unsure-how to even plug it into the TV/monitor , we finally plug it in and do it together, i had to research on how to change the HDMI resolution so the desktop isn't shown off-screen (which was not super easy to do as i had to edit a config file in the boot direct etc..) .... i was hoping he could learn how do this troubleshooting on his own as well eventually ..

does anybody have experience on training a teenager on pi can you share your experience ? my son is fairly verse in computer but only thing seem to interested him is to play games on iPad, that was one of the selling point for me buying him a pi is to play games while learning but i am afraid he is going toward the lazy approach and not work for it ... anybody has this experience ?

a non-technical question
i didnt intended to make this a project/class or a homework assignment for him, but do you know of any material that might get him started without having a feeling he is been locked up and doing an assignment ? on the flip side, if we don't enforce/guide the material to learn , he would probably choose not to do anything with it which defeats the purpose of my initial intention all together .... ...i need help to help him

Thanks !
Fist thing forget the school master approach, he's your son and not a pupil,

My advice is do a few practical electronics circuits, like switching a LED,

This will give him some interest when he see's something working
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

jcck2018

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 pm

kusti8 wrote:As a 15 year old myself who knows a lot of kids who like and don't like programming...

If your kid doesn't have the great motivation, then there isn't much you can do. I started when I was really young and taught myself because I was into it. Try and find something that he's interested in. It might not be for him, but you should try different things to see if he's interested in that. I knew someone who hated programming, but started using sonic Pi and got really interested.

So, I would look into Retropie, sonic Pi, minecraft pi, or finding a project personal to him that you could do together.

Show him some end results and what he could get out of it. If that doesn't motivate him to stick to the journey, then not much will. If it becomes an assignment, it will never stick. He has to find it for himself.

Thanks kusti8 !!
i was thinking about doing Retro Pie with him, i am also interested in getting that working myself, but the problem is will he play games all the time and not looking to do anything else further ?

he has some courses done in C++ and SQL, i imagine he has some degree of interests in programming but dont know how much, he often ask us to give him access of an ipad or PC because he wants to do "coding", maybe its a way to trick us in giving him access to the devices ?

yes he will have to find out what he likes himself as he is approaching the age, as we tried many different area (sports,music,art etc...) already but none beats sitting flat and playing games ...

thanks !

jcck2018

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 pm

boyoh wrote:
jcck2018 wrote:Hi All:

a non-technical question

Thanks !
Fist thing forget the school master approach, he's your son and not a pupil,

My advice is do a few practical electronics circuits, like switching a LED,

This will give him some interest when he see's something working

Thanks!
will do the approach , seeing him not as a pupil
i guess i have to rise my sleeve do some project with him

jcck2018

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:03 pm

drgeoff wrote:I'm reminded of the old adage "You can lead a horse to water ....." :)

LOL !
hopefully he can figure out what he wants to do before he is 25, i finally did when i was 28 :P

alphanumeric

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 pm

What was included in the "kit" you bought? Knowing what you already have on hand may help. There are basic and advanced kits out there.
Two of my favourite sites for parts and info are Pimoroni, https://learn.pimoroni.com/ and Adafruit, https://learn.adafruit.com/

jcck2018

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:56 pm

alphanumeric wrote:What was included in the "kit" you bought? Knowing what you already have on hand may help. There are basic and advanced kits out there.
Two of my favourite sites for parts and info are Pimoroni, https://learn.pimoroni.com/ and Adafruit, https://learn.adafruit.com/

i got this kit

Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Starter Kit
https://www.vilros.com/shop/raspberry-p ... ter-kit-2/

i also accquired their manual but its for pi2 still usable for pi3 however

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:13 am

Some things occur to me....

Since you say he's had some C++ and SQL and wants access to something to program on, the Pi is *ideal* for that activity. The editors and language processors are already there and if he wants to use a language that isn't already installed, it's an "apt-get install" away. One might hope he got of bit of DDL to go with his SQL so that he can create a database and tables as well work with ones that already exist. MySQL (and the non-Oracle fork, MariaDB) can be installed and he can go from there.

There is a cut down version of Minecraft (MinecraftPi) as part of Raspbian. One can add external code in Python to "extend" it. Lots of materials out there.

Lots of education, tutorial, and project material on this very site, plus new blog posts about projects are frequently posted.

If all else fails, forbid him to use the Pi, but leave it out where it is unattended and unwatched. Make sure not to notice furtive movements when you pass by.

Gavinmc42

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:34 am

Screenagers, sometimes the only way to get through to them is take the screen away :o .
Oh boy is that a a lot of fun, all the yelling and wall thumping, temper tantrums etc and that's just dad.

Let us know if you find a way ;)
Does roblox work on Pi's?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

YCN-

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:05 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:Screenagers, sometimes the only way to get through to them is take the screen away :o .
Not sure about the take the screen away, but I laugh anyway ahah!

For this kind of kid I would try either robotic or retopie stuff but with box, and buttons and stuff.

I think that with all this screen-society people need to craft and use their own hands to build satisfying stuff even if it's screen or digital related.

I think that building a robot can be a crazy nice way to start building, since it's very satisfying when stuff works.

You'll find many tutorials that can lead to do this kind of stuff :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWSpRyCDfZE

Once you'll have build it you can extend its purpose build an app... Whatever.

My advice would be in the end, just craft something, even a cabin in a tree, but those millenials need to feel usefull and need the satisfaction of building stuff. (I strongly guess so...) I'm just one generation from your son as I'm 24 and I think I would have need this kind of building crafting way of expression to take me out of screen and online games.

YCN-

alphanumeric

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:03 am

jcck2018 wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:What was included in the "kit" you bought? Knowing what you already have on hand may help. There are basic and advanced kits out there.

i got this kit

Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Starter Kit
https://www.vilros.com/shop/raspberry-p ... ter-kit-2/

i also accquired their manual but its for pi2 still usable for pi3 however
Yes, its still usable with a Pi 3. The Pi 3 is basically just a faster version of the Pi 2 with WIFI added. Having the GPIO ribbon cable, breakout board, and breadboard makes tinkering with electronics easier. Looks like you also already have some LED's and switches to play with too. Programing a switch to turn on an LED is some basic stuff to learn programing and a little electronics.

alphanumeric

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 am

If your wondering how you use the bread board, how the contacts go etc, have a look at this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0c3t0fJhXU And https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2015/05/idiots ... gpio-pins/ Don't take the title personally, ;) It looks like the same breakout board you have. I use that same one too.

Strider64

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:40 pm

I trying to think back when I was 14 or 15 and I kind of remember doing a lot of figuring out when it came to computers with a bunch of friends. It was the days of Atari 400/800, Commodore 64, Amiga and Dos 3.0 (though I think that was brand new for a lot were still using Dos 1.0x). My point is that maybe your boy wants to tinker around with it by himself or friends, but doesn't want to hurt your feelings? I remember one friend bringing over a PC with Dos 3.0 on it and playing around with the computer. We had a blast and I believe we ended up play Zork 1 (The Original Original Version). I don't know but there seems to be something magical about a blank screen and only a cursor prompt. My suggestion would to be set up the rPi so it boots in the command line and there is nothing but a blank screen. Buy a cheap monitor and maybe one especially made for the rPi so that your son will be comfort tinkering around with it alone or with friends. Don't feel insulted if your son doesn't want you around for you can always check up him on a downtime. ;) Just my opinion and thought on the matter
"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" ~ Albert Einstein

Gavinmc42

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:26 pm

My advice would be in the end, just craft something, even a cabin in a tree,
Sounds like a good idea, I will move in there next time.
Might take him a few days to find out I'm not around and come outside looking for me.
But there is history, I made him a cabin out of a huge shipping box and spent weeks putting a door, windows and painting it etc and he has been inside twice in 4 years.
I made a mistake, it should have been for me. :oops:

A 3D printer might work, then he can print parts for the toys he breaks.
There is a risk he will break the printer ;)
Been waiting for nylon as ABS/PLA are not tough enough for the RC cars he breaks.
If I can show him a 3D printed fidget spinner I think I can hook him
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Off topic discussion”