nicknml

Would love a good call blocking solution

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:14 pm

I currently get 10+ junk calls a day. I would love to find an inexpensive way to block individual numbers, entire prefixes, and unknown calling numbers (my VoIP provider TWC has call blocking tools but they don't even function properly).

bonelifer
Location: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberli ... e&u=147848

Re: Would love a good call blocking solution

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:16 pm

For POTS(Plain Old Telephone System:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcblock/

Along with a USB(Serial modem with serial to usb adapater) modem that supports callerid, check ebay for most likely USRobotics or Zoom.

Never used it, just found it with a search online.

For voip, try Asterisk. Ward(NerdUno) of PBXInAFlash fame is doing some great work on IncrediblePi a Asterisk/Freepbx distro for the Raspberry Pi. Recently they tested their v3 beta of IncrediblePi and had 9 calls on a conference call using the RPi's Turbo mode.

Link to topic on PBXInAFlash site:
http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index. ... -pi.13873/

You should be able to find help crafting a call blocking strategy for the Asterisk on their site.

nicknml

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks, I should have mentioned that my phone line in my house is POTS, my cable modem acts as a VOIP adapter that provides an analog phone connection.

twocvbloke

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Pull the plug? :lol:

Seriously though, look at TrueCall, it claims to do as you want it to, you do need to have Caller ID enabled on your line for it to work though:

http://www.truecall.co.uk/

Although not knowing where you're located I don't know if that'd be available to where you are or not... :|

Macaque

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

I've just set up my Raspberry Pi as a call blocker.

It's based on a combination of jcblock (see sourceforge.net) and vgetty (the linux answering machine).

Jcblock (my compliments to its author) uses caller ID info via a modem to do a "pick-up-and-drop" on blacklisted numbers. In the UK caller ID info arrives before the first ring so the process is silent :P The jcblock code needs some tweaking but it's trivial.

For withheld and unavailable callers I needed more functionality because some of these might be genuine calls and, for me, the "pick-up-and drop" method is undesirable. I installed vgetty just to get the "vm" command that can play (and record) voice messages. Withheld callers cause jcblock to use vm to answer and play my message asking them to redial without withholding their number.

Configuring vgetty is a pain because most of its wonderful modem database is now well out of date but I found my modem responded well to the V253 config. Quite a lot of source code hacking was required (for me anyway).

I added a button to the Pi so that I can add new numbers to the blacklist. So far the set-up seems to be working well. I had to change from a Conexant based modem to one from US robotics because the former seemed to keep missing caller ID signals.

priority

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 pm

NCID (Network Caller ID) is an open source solution that now runs on Raspberry Pi and will handle call blocking along with a whole host other features. My setup has a Zoom USB 3095 modem plugged into a RPi; this modem is readily available and requires no drivers to be loaded for Raspbian, just point ncid to to the modem and it will set all the callerid stuff for you. As far as blacklisting, edit the /etc/ncid/ncidd.blacklist file to add to your own wishes. http://ncid.sourceforge.net

jh71283

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Macaque, could you please let me know what modem you used for this?

It's very difficult to find a USB modem that can handle caller ID in the UK...

drgeoff

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm

jh71283 wrote:Macaque, could you please let me know what modem you used for this?

It's very difficult to find a USB modem that can handle caller ID in the UK...
As you are in the UK have a look at http://www.maplin.co.uk/cpr-call-blocker-784225. Ready to use and may even be cheaper than RPi plus PSU plus modem etc.

nicknml

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for the info guys, right now I'm trying a cheaper alternative; I recorded the SIT tones on my answering machine, will see how that goes.

whiteshepherd

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:32 pm

I would love a way to block the call unless a 3 digit pin is entered correctly by the caller. I have researched this the last to days and come up dry. Is there any projects or even devices that will do this?

drgeoff

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:18 am

whiteshepherd wrote:I would love a way to block the call unless a 3 digit pin is entered correctly by the caller. I have researched this the last to days and come up dry. Is there any projects or even devices that will do this?
The OBi110 (obihai.com) is intended to do much more (it is an ATA with FXO, FXS and supporting SIP and GoogleVoice) but it can probably be made to do what you want. Read about the Auto Attendant, page 111 onwards of http://obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf. Typically after entering a PIN, the caller would enter a second phone number and the call would be forwarded out on another 'line' to somewhere else. However, it looks like there is no reason that the second number cannot be null and the call made to the attached phone. You'll need to study the later sections on Digit Maps and Call Routing to understand it all.

(I do have an OBi110, very heavily configured to my own requirements but I'm not using the AA.)

You don't say where you are. The OBi110 is readily available in the US and from Amazon UK.

sicarumba

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:16 am

Macaque wrote:I've just set up my Raspberry Pi as a call blocker.

It's based on a combination of jcblock (see sourceforge.net) and vgetty (the linux answering machine).

Jcblock (my compliments to its author) uses caller ID info via a modem to do a "pick-up-and-drop" on blacklisted numbers. In the UK caller ID info arrives before the first ring so the process is silent :P The jcblock code needs some tweaking but it's trivial.

For withheld and unavailable callers I needed more functionality because some of these might be genuine calls and, for me, the "pick-up-and drop" method is undesirable. I installed vgetty just to get the "vm" command that can play (and record) voice messages. Withheld callers cause jcblock to use vm to answer and play my message asking them to redial without withholding their number.

Configuring vgetty is a pain because most of its wonderful modem database is now well out of date but I found my modem responded well to the V253 config. Quite a lot of source code hacking was required (for me anyway).

I added a button to the Pi so that I can add new numbers to the blacklist. So far the set-up seems to be working well. I had to change from a Conexant based modem to one from US robotics because the former seemed to keep missing caller ID signals.
Macaque (or anybody for that matter)

Would you mind telling me how you did this? I have successfully deployed jcblocker but have no clue how to implement vgetty into the code....

Return to “Off topic discussion”