Bacan

Re: Pics of Eben, while ...

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Ok. I've seen Eben being the "Best of Show".

Liz- How about showing us what he looks like trying to be a California Surfer Dude ?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:56 pm

I have been forbidden. On pain of divorce. :( (He did pretty well, though, and stayed up for a good 15 seconds or so. No idea how he actually steeled himself to get in the water; I was wearing a down jacket and a bobble hat, and couldn't feel my legs when I got back inside!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

obarthelemy

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Should I say I sometimes peed in my wetsuit to warm it up ? Nope. I shouldn't !

Bacan

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:13 pm

... and this is why you never rent a wet suit. :-)

scep

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Weeing in your wetsuit is a good thing (unless you are trying it on in the changing room). Weeing in your drysuit, on the other hand, is one of life's great unhappy events.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:49 pm

"Should I say I sometimes peed in my wetsuit to warm it up ?"
"... and this is why you never rent a wet suit."

Unless you're seriously into wearing tight rubberwear, this is definitely TOO much information!

Now, whenever I see the windsurfers and para-whatsit twits splashing about on a cold raw day, as a north-westerly gale blows in off the sea and up the estuary, I shall never be able to watch without a twinge of speculation......
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Bacan

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:16 pm

For the best fitting suits, look at O'Neil. Their sizing chart is just out standing; factors for height, shape, gender, body plus arm & leg length. They are almost a custom fit, which is what you need when cold water diving. The extra padded spine material is wonderful for keeping the cold water from sloshing up and down your back, at critical nerve endings.

Instead of nature liquid to warm the open spaces in your suit, bring with you a thermos (1 qt) of better than body temp water. Put on your suit, than pour the warm water in around your neck front and back. Not too much, just enough to fill the air gaps. Now, no sudden shock of cold sea water rushing in to fill the gaps between you and the suit.

Speaking as a North Coast California Diver; NAUI certified.

SeanD

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:24 pm

It always amazes me how few Nor-Cal kids, unless they surf ever get into the ocean. Having said that my 11 year old helped organise a beach camping trip this weekend where he and his fellow scouts suited up and went sea kayaking and body boarding in the surf and had a great time, some of the new scouts had never been in the ocean.

Bacan

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm

It is not surprising how many North Coast Divers never again dive cold water, after diving in the warm water of the tropics. Plus the hike you have to do for a beach dive vs boat diving.

Glad to hear your Scouts had a great time.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:44 pm

When I used to windsurf, I remember breaking the ice one boxing bay on the local lake to put the board in - first fall was, shall we say, a rather shrinking experience.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

scep

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Quote from Bacan on December 19, 2011, 20:35
It is not surprising how many North Coast Divers never again dive cold water, after diving in the warm water of the tropics. Plus the hike you have to do for a beach dive vs boat diving. As much as I love diving in shorts and T-shirt, some of the best diving in the world is in cold cold seas and I will always come back to it - the UK has some some world-class diving as has the north west coast of US and Canada. Norcal looks good but never been. Does look like 7mm semi-drysuit job at least though.

P.S. Nice to meet another NAUI diver - I did a NAUI course on Caye Caulker, Belize twenty years ago and you are the first NAUI diver I've ever "met"! :)

Point3Forever

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Quote from jamesh on December 19, 2011, 20:44
When I used to windsurf, I remember breaking the ice one boxing bay on the local lake to put the board in - first fall was, shall we say, a rather shrinking experience.

Too much information.

Return to “Off topic discussion”