DavidS

Re: Low Power.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:36 am

@Gavinmc42:
Real, Real time people use the ARMxR, not ARMxA(Pi) or ARMxM(micro).

Linux is useful in the post MS era.
Keeping the code/data/docs on an external USB stick, means the SD card just holds the OS.
Easy then to swap OS.
Real real time people use an MCU with no interrupts at all, and every process running in its own processor core :) .
Lots of pictures and code or do what they do these days, YouTube videos.
My kid learns more minecraft tricks from youtube than doing it himself or reading the books..
I am a worse demonstrator/lecturer than I am an author. There is a reason I have turned down every professorship that has been offered me.

Though I can definitely write a book, however small. I will have the time to be complete while away from everything.
Mains voltage stuff is not as important as it used to be with the fridge the number one issue as it runs 24/7.
Things like TV are multi voltage and getting more efficient, soon 12V OLED roll up stick on wall?
Not that TV is a big as it used to be with small screens and phone/tablets potentially in every room.
Those small screens take more power than most realize. Small LCD/OLED displays are much more efficient.

As for the fridge, it is not as big of a thing as most make of it. All you need is a very well insulated top opening cooler that uses a peltier junction pile to cool. If you keep it full of stuff well packed it will keep itself cool for long periods, and with it being top opening there is less loss when you need to get into it. Ends up actually running about 20 minutes per day, sometimes as much as 45 minutes.
Utilities are a big problem, too expensive for most people to replace.
Cooking and aircon really the major problem we have here.
Peak demand brownouts have even got the politicians talking big project again.
Cooking is an easy one, there are many alternative ways to cook that cost near nothing, or nothing.

As for Air Conditioning, in that climate, build underground dugouts. That takes care of 98% of your climate control needs.

As to the rest:

If you give a problem to the politicians to solve they will create a 'solution' that costs billions, and in the end makes the problem worse.

If you give the same problem to a quiet thinker he will provide you with a solution that costs nearly nothing and solves the problem, though the politicians will never go for.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Gavinmc42

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:45 am

If you give a problem to the politicians to solve they will create a 'solution' that costs billions, and in the end makes the problem worse.
If you give the same problem to a quiet thinker he will provide you with a solution that costs nearly nothing and solves the problem, though the politicians will never go for.
Sounds like you are familiar with both types :lol:

The boaties like these types of fridges, but if they can afford a boat/yacht then these prices are not scary.
htttp://www.ozefridge.com.au/?page_id=22
Mind you 6" of insulation helps too.
Danfoss also have a compressor designed to be hooked directly to solar panels, no battery needed.
Very low starting torque. 10-45VDC

Yippee they have a CO2 one now, er a decade ago.
http://www.achrnews.com/articles/94092- ... ical-cycle
Has it been that long since I last looked? hmm B4 the wife n kid :oops:
Well at least I now know to ask "does it use R-744 refrigerant?"
Real real time people use an MCU with no interrupts at all, and every process running in its own processor core :) .
sounds familiar ;) interrupts just cause trouble.

4 cores in the Pi2/3.
Hmm Prop 2 getting closer, 16 cores.
Hey what is P1V? Have I been spending too much time here? Oh, FPGA Version.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

DavidS

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sounds like you are familiar with both types :lol:
You could say that :) . :lol:
The boaties like these types of fridges, but if they can afford a boat/yacht then these prices are not scary.
htttp://www.ozefridge.com.au/?page_id=22
Mind you 6" of insulation helps too.
Danfoss also have a compressor designed to be hooked directly to solar panels, no battery needed.
Very low starting torque. 10-45VDC
Interesting, hmm.
Yippee they have a CO2 one now, er a decade ago.
http://www.achrnews.com/articles/94092- ... ical-cycle
Has it been that long since I last looked? hmm B4 the wife n kid :oops:
Well at least I now know to ask "does it use R-744 refrigerant?"
The other question, has it been that long since I looked last, wow.
sounds familiar ;) interrupts just cause trouble.

4 cores in the Pi2/3.
Hmm Prop 2 getting closer, 16 cores.
Hey what is P1V? Have I been spending too much time here? Oh, FPGA Version.
Got to enjoy the simplicity of 8 Cores without inturrupts, and the next gen version to have 16 cores, twice the clock speed, four times fewer clocks per instruction, a lot more built in RAM, and a lot more IO's :) .
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Gavinmc42

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:32 am

Got to enjoy the simplicity of 8 Cores without interrupts, and the next gen version to have 16 cores, twice the clock speed, four times fewer clocks per instruction, a lot more built in RAM, and a lot more IO's :) .
Er, after decades of micros with interrupts the Prop 1 comes out, the first thing I said was "where's the bloody interrupts?"
Looking back, a P1+, 64 I/O, 100MHz, double the ram would have probably kept me interested.

Anyone making clock-less micros?
http://www.tiempo-ic.com/products/ip-cores/TAM16.html
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

DavidS

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:39 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Got to enjoy the simplicity of 8 Cores without interrupts, and the next gen version to have 16 cores, twice the clock speed, four times fewer clocks per instruction, a lot more built in RAM, and a lot more IO's :) .
Er, after decades of micros with interrupts the Prop 1 comes out, the first thing I said was "where's the bloody interrupts?"
Looking back, a P1+, 64 I/O, 100MHz, double the ram would have probably kept me interested.
I still want to see the P1 with port B exported to pins. 100MHz is already in the P1's range, and I sometimes use two P1s working together for additional IO. Still the Pi at least matches the RPi for GPIO, and trumps the RPi in the universal nature of potential use of any IO.
So it is measured in MIPS per volt for performance? :lol:

Return to “Off topic discussion”