johnbeetem

Re: Yet another tiny ARM computer

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Some of us in the Off Topic forum like to keep up with new ARM-based computers. I'm not trying to steer anybody away from RasPi -- it's just interesting to see what else is out there.

I just saw the 99 Euro / US$130 CuBox from Israeli start-up Solid-Run:

http://www.linuxfordevices.com.....Run-CuBox/

This is a small cube 2.17 x 2.17 x 1.65 inches (55 x 55 x 42mm), with connectors for power, two USB, eSATA (probably shared with USB), Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI, and microSD. Processor is Marvell Armada 510 (ARMv6/v7) with 1GB DRAM. Software is Android or GNU/Linux.

CuBox is essentially the same as Globalscale's US$249 D2Plug, but in a smaller package:

http://www.linuxfordevices.com.....ll-PXA510/

I think both are based on Marvell's SheevaPlug reference design.

I actually considered getting a D2Plug recently as a new workhorse computer, but I didn't have confidence that the software was really ready. I'd wonder the same thing about CuBox, since "open platform" too often means "you're on your own". JMO/YMMV

obarthelemy

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:50 pm

It seems like a bare implementation of the Marvell SoC. I wouldn't be too worried about software, they don't seem to have added anything proprietary... actually, they don't seem to have added *anything* to the SoC.
It's tempting @ 99€. They hammer on the shipping though, 30€ to France. I got the eCafe for 150€, no eSata and only 512 MB, but a screen, a keyboard, and a battery, 8GB SSD+8GB SD... actually, a netbook ^^

obarthelemy

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Actually, eSata doesn't seem shared on the block diagram (bottom left) from http://www.linuxfordevices.com.....-and-1000/

Interesting for server uses.

mkopack

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeah, seen those. They use the 510 model in this guy:

http://plugcomputer.org/develo.....2plug.html

Higher power use than the RPi, but also has a number more interfaces. I have one of the first Gen SheevaPlugs and while interesting, it's a bit on the limited side...

mkopack

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Oh, and it's also $250!!!! OUCH...

johnbeetem

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on December 13, 2011, 20:54
Actually, eSata doesn't seem shared on the block diagram (bottom left)

Right, and taking a closer look at CuBox it's not shared there either. I guess the tiny slot under HDMI is microSD, while the slot under the two USBs is eSATA. I guess the photo is a pre-silkscreen prototype.

OTOH, the D2Plug does have a combined USB+eSATA (eSATAp) connector.

updatelee

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 am

personally Id rather get a beagleboard/bone or overo for that price.

Paul Webster

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:24 pm

and, like the recent emergence of XMBC running on RPi, the CuBox people have also posted a video showing XBMC running on it

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:47 pm

I think we are going to see an Arms race (geddit?) on these small format Arm devices. As usual it will come down to the amount  CPU/GPU performance for your cash. As more and more Arm SoC's come out with higher and higher performance, things can only get better!

Profit will be hard to come by, if you are completing with the Raspi which has no profit motive and is priced to the bone There will need to be differentiation somewhere. GPU's will all start to produce the same minimum level stuff, so its Arm power and software that will swing it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Off topic discussion”