Ed Raket

Replace mint with debian (dualboot win7)

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 pm

I need some help to keep my windows7 booting with grub... At this moment i have a dualboot with mint 13 and windows 7 using grub. i would like to replace mint 13 with debian but before when i replaced mint 12 with 13 i had a hell of a time to get windblows7 (needed for work...) to boot again with grub. I hope someone can provide a litte help on the best way to do this, and keep all osses booting ;)

Thx in advance!

Ed Raket

Re: Replace mint with debian (dualboot win7)

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Well all is done, removal of Mint has crippled the booting of Windblows again... :x even the Win7 system DVD could not repair the bootsector. But the installation of Debian Wheezy (testing) beta 2, re-installed Grub and Grub made Windows boot again!

Where would windows be without the help of linux.... :lol:

gritz

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 am

GRUB can be a huge PITA for dual boot with Win if something goes belly up. It's not always possible to resurrect the MBR either (whatever the online experts might say). I don't have a dual boot Linux / Win machine any more - it's just not worth the hassle. The advice here is (as always) back up everything before making any changes. Glad you got it sorted out though. :)

Ed Raket

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Yes Grub can be a pain... but i believe the new Grub (2.0) has features that are allso quite futuristic and "the" way to go for a bootmanager. Once we understand how to deal with this "smart" manager, where moving foreward ;)

Return to “Off topic discussion”