W. H. Heydt

Re: The Holy war of editors

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:05 pm

JAVE wrote:I came from the Amiga, where I used Black's editor for a long time (Great Arexx interface for scripting the editor!).
When starting with Linux, I used pico for a while, but that was (is?) part of the mail client Pine. Later they released a standalone version called nano IIRC.
That's odd. Back when I was using pine to read e-mail on a unix system, my default editor was vi.
Then a friend spoke some wise words: "All Unix variants come standard with Vi installed. When you're able to use Vi, you don't need to install extra packages to be able to edit texts."
The advice used to be to learn ed or ex, so that if you found yourself with either a hosed terminal descriptor, or on a hardcopy device, you could still edit files to get things working properly again. Remember...unix originally used Teletypes for terminals.
As for Emacs:
1: I don't have enough appendages to hit all those keys at the same time, and
2: I already have an operating system :-)
Cute. I may steal that quip.

JAVE

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:03 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: The advice used to be to learn ed or ex, so that if you found yourself with either a hosed terminal descriptor, or on a hardcopy device, you could still edit files to get things working properly again. Remember...unix originally used Teletypes for terminals.
I started on Linux/Unix around 1998 (Redhat Linux 5.1). By that time VT220 terminals were already old, let alone teletypes...
The worst I ever encountered was an AIX machine that had no more handles to open programs. Killing the process that caused it was only possible by randomly killing processes until we could run ps to get the PID. (One of the few times we were glad to have Bash as shell. It has quite a lot of build-in commands)

morphy_richards

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:14 pm

I'm a big fan of joe. (Joe's own editor) apt-get install joe
Turns out however that joe is Emacs, except made more friendly to people who grew up using Dos Edit. (Which is me)

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:48 pm

morphy_richards wrote:I'm a big fan of joe. (Joe's own editor) apt-get install joe
Turns out however that joe is Emacs, except made more friendly to people who grew up using Dos Edit. (Which is me)
You mean edlin, or something later?

Heater

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Emacs started out in 1972. Long before there was an edlin or even an MS DOS.

Joe, whatever that is, did not happen till 1986 or so.

Vi dates back to Bill Joy in 1976.

DavidS

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Heck as goes arcane editors, and line editors:

I like the traditional style line editors (of which edlin is very similar). There is one for Atari TOS (actualy a port from CP/M-68000) that is very simple to use, allows the user to put the cursor on a given line press [esc][email protected] or [shift]+[return] to put that line into the edit buffer, where you could edit it in insert mode, or overwrite mode (pressing enter finished the line edit, reinserting the editied line into the original file). I no longer remember the name of that one, though it was my favorite line editor in early TOS.

Then if entering a file for the first time there is always echoing text redirected to a file, in append mode (using '>>' on DOS, CP/M, RS-11, Unix, etc).

Though then came the "screen editors", that allow you to simply scroll through a file, and insert, overwrite, delete from the current position of the cursor without using any extra keys, the style that are now common in DOS, as well as in most GUI enviroments. And now I use these, most notably !Edit, !Zap and !StrongED in RISC OS, or Leafpad in Linux,BSD,etc, or 7up, and the built in editors of Devpac, PureC, and AHCC in Atari TOS.

To note I rarely use !StrongED in RISC OS, as I prefer !Zap, though now that we are on the ARMv7 !Zap has a few issues, mostly related to depricated opcodes.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

asandford

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:39 am

vi(m) and notepad++ .

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:28 am

I think the strangest device I ever used vi on was a TRS-80 Model 100. That really was the original "notebook" computer. In order to use vi on it, I had to write a termcap entry. My wife submitted it to the bsd folks and it got included in the standard list shortly thereafter.

morphy_richards

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:01 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
morphy_richards wrote:I'm a big fan of joe. (Joe's own editor) apt-get install joe
You mean edlin, or something later?
I mean this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS_Editor

flatmax

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:03 pm

vi is like schizophrenia where you are either entering commands or writing text ... you are locked in one mode or the other ... its kind of bi-polar !
One nice thing about emacs ... you just press TAB to auto-indent code ... its auto-beautify ... don't even add thought :)
Check the Ultra 2 sound card - use our shop instead of Amazon Europe (Amazon USA is live).
Sound card for the Raspberry Pi with inbuilt microphone : www.audioinjector.net
Audio Inector Octo multitrack GPIO sound card

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:57 pm

It occurs to me--somewhat belatedly--to ask if you also like to program in JOVIAL (Jules' Own Version if the International Algorithmic Language)?

morphy_richards

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:58 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
It occurs to me--somewhat belatedly--to ask if you also like to program in JOVIAL (Jules' Own Version if the International Algorithmic Language)?
LoL IRL.
Never heard of it, sounds fun though :D

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 pm

morphy_richards wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
LoL IRL.
Never heard of it, sounds fun though :D
It's a version of ALGOL.

Return to “Off topic discussion”