jogl

Re: Should i get rid of my insulation tape?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:00 pm

I did not see it mentioned above, if you are using cheap electrical tape, try using some good stuff, my favourite is 3M Super 33.

For those times where you need to get it going now, the Super 33 is way, way better than the other stuff. Is 3 or 4 times the money but it is one of those things where once you have used it you will not go back.

binaryhermit

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Heater wrote: Now I tracked down a supply of Gumption https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Brow ... ctId=31783
Heater wrote: Edit: Maybe this is better:

But neither of those are tubes, and boyoh specifically said a tube of gumption.
:lol: :lol: ;)

Heater

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:30 am

binaryhermit,

"Tube", "tub", the more gumption you can get the better. I say.

They should sell it by the barrel. :)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

skspurling

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:52 am

You know, there's nothing wrong with your tape. Here's a little secret. ESD means conductive. Now, I'm not saying low resistance, but the charge has to bleed off. The reason you get static on electric tape is because it's plastic, and non conductive. You don't, as was said earlier, use it in a place where ESD matters anyway. You don't tape down the leads of your MOSFET, or MOS based surface mount device.
Now, as far as using it in a project. USE IT. So many of the previous answers show what goes wrong in the maker community. ideas, materials, and other stuff get pigeon holed as ugly or not in fashion and it limits what people think they can do. Every one of the other replacement suggestions has issues. Try cleaning hot glue off your connections because you have to redo them when a child yanked at the cord. Ugly. Try finding fine grade heat shrink for small gauge wires. Sometimes electric tape is the trick. Sometimes liquid electric tape is the trick. (Look it up, it's cool.) Don't throw it out of your tool box because, even though it's not duck tape, it is very hand to have around and ESD doesn't matter a lick with the applications you'll need it in.

Heater

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:35 am

skspurling,
So many of the previous answers show what goes wrong in the maker community.
That's a bit hard. I could say:

So many of the previous answers show exactly what is so great about the "maker" community.

People willing to throw in their experiences and make suggestions. Heck, even bother to reply or help at all.

Certainly not everything will be correct. Not everything will be appropriate for the task at hand. Who knows what that is exactly anyway?

But surely it's better to have all these ideas on the table than to have none?

Which is where the gumption comes in. Readers have to way up the pros and cons of any suggestion for their own purposes, budgets, etc. Investigate further, try it for themselves.

Heck, I'm going to insulate my connections with chewing gum if that's all I have to hand in some odd situation.

skspurling

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:22 pm

Heater wrote:skspurling,
So many of the previous answers show what goes wrong in the maker community.
That's a bit hard. I could say:

So many of the previous answers show exactly what is so great about the "maker" community.

People willing to throw in their experiences and make suggestions. Heck, even bother to reply or help at all.

Certainly not everything will be correct. Not everything will be appropriate for the task at hand. Who knows what that is exactly anyway?

But surely it's better to have all these ideas on the table than to have none?

Which is where the gumption comes in. Readers have to way up the pros and cons of any suggestion for their own purposes, budgets, etc. Investigate further, try it for themselves.

Heck, I'm going to insulate my connections with chewing gum if that's all I have to hand in some odd situation.
Sorry, yes that was a bit harsh. I've gone through a few posts where people with interesting ideas get bashed for being "dumb". Like this small group of people run around just to discourage ideas they don't like instead of helping. I like the chewing gum idea. What brand do you think has the best adhesive and breakdown voltage characteristics?

I am surprised that no one gave the answer that Insulating tape has static because it's insulating. In the right environment, you will get static off 3M tape. Cardboard in an Altoids tin is just fine. If the electronics get hot enough for combustion, you have a much bigger problem. Don't use anti-static bag, as it has a conductive coating so the static charge doesn't build up.

Get a bit of "Gumption", but not too much or you'll not be happy with your results. Lastly Common Sense is neither Common nor does it always make sense. And it's not available is stores. You got to make it yourself. Problem is, every one has their own recipe, and one persons recipe never works for someone else...

PiDork

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:08 am

Hi BlaaBlaa!

No, dude, keep the tape, love the colors man! Don't get them like that these days!
My fave has to be the red one, real awesome!
So I hope you gained some knowledge!
See ya 'round! :mrgreen:

Heater

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:02 pm

skspurling,
If the electronics get hot enough for combustion, you have a much bigger problem.
That is certainly true. However such problems happen. Happened to me with that SD card, see above. Or battery wires get shorted and start to glow red. All kind of things. Better to keep the fire hazard in mind. The other week someone wanted to hide his pi in a hole carved out in the pages of a book. Given my experience I adviced against it.
Don't use anti-static bag, as it has a conductive coating so the static charge doesn't build up.
Have you ever measured the resitance of an anti-static bag? It's huge. Not really going to pass enough current to be a short for any normal circuitry. Might be an issue with extreme high impedance things though.

Not that I'm suggesting an anti-static bag is a good idea for insulating a Pi in a metal box.

Ronaldlees

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Heater wrote:blaablaaguy
What about when you need to make a cable that isnt available to buy?
You know, despite what I have said above I don't think I have found the perfect solution for this.

Back in the day, power supplies and plugs could be opened by removing a few screws. Things could be rewired nicely to your
hearts content.

Today, wall warts and plugs are all welded shut. The only way to get in is to destroy them.

And of course "standards" keep changing so that nothing ever fits anything.

For example: The other day I needed 5v for some gadget. My 5v wall warts to hand all have micro USB plugs. The gadget
wants 5v through a barrel connector.

What to do?

Chop the USB off the wall wart. Chop the barrel plug of some other supply. Splice the cables together.

Yes, I have done it all. After soldering the conductors together mess with insulating tape, hot glue, heat shrink, etc.

Ugly, gak.

This time I screwed the conductors into a good old fashioned "Chocolate box" connector. Figuring that at least it was solid and
I could easily repurpose it if need be.
I finally got fed up with all the different connectors, and made them all 5mm/2.5mm barrel connectors. The first thing I do with a new supply/wart/etc is cut the connector off and solder on a new 5mm/2.5mm barrel plug. This then means it's really easy to plug a 20 VDC supply plug into a 5VDC female Pi supply jack connector! Not good! So, to remedy that potential situation, I put DC-DC converters into all my projects, so no supply ever feeds directly to a device. The DC-DC converters can take any voltage from ~5 VDC to about 30 VDC.

This means all my warts work the same, and as long as the voltage is at least as high as it needs to be, (almost) never is any harm done. I can get by with any wart or charger meant for any laptop or just about anything else that has power (even some power tool rechargers), so long as the max current is sufficient. This has been a great timesaver, and the little DC-DC converters are cheap.

I have a (very small) number of exceptions that have not yet been converted to DC-DC setups. For those (tiny) number of cases, I brush fingernail polish onto the jack and plug, as shown in the second photo here:

https://programmingmiscellany.wordpress ... de-tablet/

This helps me to see when things don't match, but is ONLY a stop-gap measure, as I intend to rearrange things in ALL of the devices to take the DC-DC any-voltage setup as soon as I can.
I am the Umbrella man

PiDork

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Oh dude please tell me u aint gotten rid of the tape.
Please.
Please i need them
No sarcasm intended but who is to intend when there -is not an intend
Over and outtt :?

blaablaaguy

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:38 pm

PiDork wrote:Oh dude please tell me u aint gotten rid of the tape.
Please.
Please i need them
No sarcasm intended but who is to intend when there -is not an intend
Over and outtt :?
I have no idea what your talking about.
This signature intentionally left blank.

JimmyN

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Burngate wrote:Rather than insulation tape, I tend to use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape. The end result tends to be just as ugly, but doesn't spontaneously unwrap itself.
The reason vinyl electrical tape unwraps after a bit is because the last laps were stretched, which is the "normal" way of applying it. But like many things in life the "normal" way that everybody does it is not always the correct or best way to do something. About 5 decades ago I was apprentice to a high voltage cable splicer and learned all about applying tape.

When applying vinyl electrical tape stretch the first wraps very tightly so they conform and then stretch less and less as you apply the overwraps. The last two wraps should not be stretched at all, and don't pull the end to stretch and break it, use a knife or scissors to cut it off. If you want it to last, and prevent the tape from shrinking back, avoid any tension in the tape for the final wraps.

When the top wraps are stretched they soon start to shrink back to their original length, as it was on the roll, which pulls the adhesive loose at the end and the unwrapping process begins. As each wrap shrinks back and pulls loose it allows the wrap under that to start shrinking back, as the adhesive alone is not strong enough to overcome the tension in the tape.

Heater

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:02 pm

That is possibly the most useful thing I have ever read on this forum!

That's after decades of having insulating tape unwrap itself. I think this calls for some experimentation...

Thanks.

blaablaaguy

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:33 pm

JimmyN wrote:
Burngate wrote:Rather than insulation tape, I tend to use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape. The end result tends to be just as ugly, but doesn't spontaneously unwrap itself.
The reason vinyl electrical tape unwraps after a bit is because the last laps were stretched, which is the "normal" way of applying it. But like many things in life the "normal" way that everybody does it is not always the correct or best way to do something. About 5 decades ago I was apprentice to a high voltage cable splicer and learned all about applying tape.

When applying vinyl electrical tape stretch the first wraps very tightly so they conform and then stretch less and less as you apply the overwraps. The last two wraps should not be stretched at all, and don't pull the end to stretch and break it, use a knife or scissors to cut it off. If you want it to last, and prevent the tape from shrinking back, avoid any tension in the tape for the final wraps.

When the top wraps are stretched they soon start to shrink back to their original length, as it was on the roll, which pulls the adhesive loose at the end and the unwrapping process begins. As each wrap shrinks back and pulls loose it allows the wrap under that to start shrinking back, as the adhesive alone is not strong enough to overcome the tension in the tape.
Instead of searching for scissors or a knife you can just rip it downwards vertically. Insulation tap rips nicely.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Return to “Off topic discussion”