tater1337

other pi-like boards

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:56 pm

a few months ago a friend of mine sent me the release about the Pine64, I just came across it while cleaning up my email inbox.

overall I tend not to hop on the latest bandwagon like a neophyte. I tend to let announcements like that sit and then see how they stand up after a few months.

but it got me to thinking, with most of the production effort going into pi3 and pi zeros, that if I wanted a less capable board that maybe i should look into other boards.

the orange pi plus 2 looks overfeatured, but maybe the earlier orange pis might be doable....same with pine64 maybe.

does anyone wish to comment on this? maybe give me a bit of advice?

FlexibleSigmoid

Re: other pi-like boards

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:58 pm

tater1337 wrote:that if I wanted a less capable board that maybe i should look into other boards
I think you already summed things up quite nicely. Not much more needs to be said really.

Laurens-wuyts

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:03 pm

I think, for beginners it's good to use a board which is very good documented. So they can get started in the world of SOC. :D
As for more advanced users, I think it could be a challenge to get the other boards running (as good as the raspberry pi) and see what advantages they have for specific projects. :)
I also only have some raspberry pi's, but I'll probably buy some other boards in the near future.

Laurens

mikronauts

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:52 pm

I've written a lot of Raspberry Pi and other SBC reviews - you may find them useful:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Review
Raspberry Pi Zero Review
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Review
Raspberry Pi Model A+ Review
Raspberry Pi Model B+ Review

LeMaker Guitar and Base Board Review
Banana Pro Review
Banana Pi Review
ODROID-XU4 octal core Samsung Exynos 5422 Review
ODROID C1 Review
MIPS Creator CI20 Review

See http://www.mikronauts.com/all-single-bo ... r-reviews/
tater1337 wrote:a few months ago a friend of mine sent me the release about the Pine64, I just came across it while cleaning up my email inbox.

overall I tend not to hop on the latest bandwagon like a neophyte. I tend to let announcements like that sit and then see how they stand up after a few months.

but it got me to thinking, with most of the production effort going into pi3 and pi zeros, that if I wanted a less capable board that maybe i should look into other boards.

the orange pi plus 2 looks overfeatured, but maybe the earlier orange pis might be doable....same with pine64 maybe.

does anyone wish to comment on this? maybe give me a bit of advice?
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

JRV

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:35 pm

You won't find another board that has as good of community support as the RaspberryPi.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

tausciam

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:39 pm

You can't look solely at specs to decide which board is better. I started out with an Odroid C1+ and had plans to turn it into a DVR.

You're stuck on a 3.10 kernel.... so many drivers do not exist. I had nfs problems that made it unusable for my purposes and never got a single reply in their forums when I asked for help. After a couple of weeks of trying to get it to work, I gave up and bought a pi 3. My DVR was running within a day

liudr

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:23 pm

I've read about orange pi and how they support raspbian. Sounds good, price and hardware, right? After some more reading on their forum, I found out that GPIO with python is not well supported at all. I wish they were because that's like one of the places where you start playing around a bit once you're comfortable with your new little computer. On the other hand, this is a good candidate for rpi alternatives if they do provide more support.

Separately, I read about how broadcom is not selling the SOC to anyone else except to rpf. Does that rhyme with open source or else?
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:51 pm

liudr wrote: Separately, I read about how broadcom is not selling the SOC to anyone else except to rpf. Does that rhyme with open source or else?
You a are confusing Software & Hardware Licensing.

Regards the BC2835 SoC it has been used in several other products..

The BCM2836/7 were developed by RPT.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:53 pm

liudr wrote:I've read about orange pi and how they support raspbian. Sounds good, price and hardware, right? After some more reading on their forum, I found out that GPIO with python is not well supported at all. I wish they were because that's like one of the places where you start playing around a bit once you're comfortable with your new little computer. On the other hand, this is a good candidate for rpi alternatives if they do provide more support.
Armbian is now very much the defacto ARMHF OS: http://www.armbian.com

rpiowner

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Few days was posted comparison of cheap boards here:
Comparing availability: Raspberry Pi Zero/Orange Pi One/CHIP

it have three "cheap boards" as you writing, compare Raspberry Pi Zero, Orange Pi One, and "CHIP" - should spelling C.H.I.P., but not acronym so very hard to google! try google "chip" for information, very very bad marketing. Chip is $9 computer on single board having Wifi as well Bluetooth. Maybe for you good for purpose?

Also today was post:
PC smaller than Raspberry Pi Zero

it is $7.99 for 256 MB of RAM (like original pi) and $9.99 for 512 MB of RAM, smaller than raspberry pi zero, it having ethernet and USB-A (big port), not only OTG. No HDMI or composite videos - you must using serial console or ethernet to connect. Very bad support probably. But fast CPU, Allwinner quad core. Probably very old driver / no drivers.

Like other poster sayed, best support raspberry pi (this forum, especial archives). Other computer maybe don't working, will sitting "paperweight" on desk if you can no be used for your purpose.

Raspberry Pi support perfect. I give good example. Is fact: HDMI standard from 1.4 supporting Ethernet on HDMI (for really! very surprise). So I looking Google, two minutes, this forum demonstrate: pin for ethernet on HDMI not connected to Raspberry Pi SoC, SoC not support. Therefore under one minute time I have knowing no ethernet in HDMI on raspberry pi. Fastest information.

This very important for all developer. So I am recommend Raspberry Pi!

liudr

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 pm

So it boils down to two things

Good software support to get you in.
Having a proprietary hardware to lock you in.

Took me several days of research to come right back to rpi. Not that I am complaining much, just not much easy alternative.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:03 am

liudr wrote:So it boils down to two things

Good software support to get you in.
Having a proprietary hardware to lock you in.

Took me several days of research to come right back to rpi. Not that I am complaining much, just not much easy alternative.
Well.... One of the virtues of Linux is that, for the vast majority of use cases, so long as the hardware has the required features, it really doesn't matter what hardware you're using. As a result, software support is actually a bigger deal than it otherwise would be because you're really *not* locked in at the hardware level.

tausciam

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:10 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: Well.... One of the virtues of Linux is that, for the vast majority of use cases, so long as the hardware has the required features, it really doesn't matter what hardware you're using. As a result, software support is actually a bigger deal than it otherwise would be because you're really *not* locked in at the hardware level.
I'd say it matters a lot....because of software. If I have hardware with little or no support in linux, the hardware is useless to me. If you have an odroid that only has a 3.10 kernel, but need the features of a 4.2 or 4.4 kernel, then sure your hardware may beat out the pi in benchmarks, but it's worthless to you.

Ronaldlees

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:05 pm

rpiowner wrote: I have three "cheap boards" as you writing, compare Raspberry Pi Zero, Orange Pi One, and "CHIP" -
This very important for all developer. So I am recommend Raspberry Pi!
I have equal numbers of Pis and Odroids, but have a slightly different use-case for each type of board.

I think I've read somewhere that the OrangePi and other A10/A20 boards have user accessible NAND for the boot "firmware," which could be a plus - but could also have downsides (if it's trashed by user programs). Can someone who has an OrangePi or other A10/A20 board verify if this is true or not?
I am the Umbrella man

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 am

KERNEL 4.7 "Boards – Olimex A20 OLinuXino LIME2, Xunlong Orange Pi 2, Orange Pi One, and Orange Pi PC"

Hopefully Armbian will update their Distro...

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/07/25/ ... hitectures

ric96

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:30 pm

Seeed Studio Beaglebone Green Wireless, specially designed with iot in mind. And a great board for iot purpose.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Beagleb ... n_wireless

And my review for the same:
https://youtu.be/8QiBuTfxlb8
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

ejolson

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:43 am

There are a huge number of ARM based single board computers currently available. For example, the nanoPi M3 costs the same as the Raspberry Pi 3 but has multiple USB ports and GB Ethernet on the SOC compared to s single multiplexed USB port behind a hub and eight A53 cores compared to four. However, the supported kernel is version 3.10 and the binary blob necessary for video makes it difficult to update to a recent kernel.

The newer kernel for the Raspberry Pi includes btrfs which is a modern copy-on-write filesystem with snapshots, block-level deduplication, built in data integrity checking and RAID. Once you start using btrfs, it is very difficult to go back to ext4.

Heater

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:30 am

ejolson,
The newer kernel for the Raspberry Pi includes btrfs which is a modern copy-on-write filesystem with snapshots, block-level deduplication, built in data integrity checking and RAID. Once you start using btrfs, it is very difficult to go back to ext4.
I want that.

Do you have any recommendations for any instructions / tutorials to get started with btrfs?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ejolson

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:31 am

Heater wrote:ejolson,
Do you have any recommendations for any instructions / tutorials to get started with btrfs?
The btrfs wiki is all I needed to get started. Note, if you have trouble mounting an existing btrfs filesystem, try "btrfs device scan" before the mount command.

cabbers

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:04 am

On the subject of Pi alternatives, I needed a board with Gig Ethernet-I have my Pi's with an Anker 3.0 Gig USB adaptor but it tops out at 350Mb/sec or so (due to the USB 2.0 bus I suppose). So I bought a A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2 https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXi ... e-hardware

I'm not an expert on Linux, and Linux kernels, and thanks for the illumination around how all these new boards promise the earth in terms of hardware and price (plus size) but what I never knew is that kernel support is pretty old-whereas Raspian is bang up to date-and has this fantastic forum. But this LIME2 now has 4.6 kernel support (in Armbian)-in the opinion of the community, does this change anything (it is still more expensive than a Pi2/Pi3-granted)? Or are there other features and packages and community support that the Pi just has, that means all these all new kids on the block just cant compete?

If and when Mr Upton decides on GigE for a Pi, I'm back in there :-) but for the stuff I test on, I need a native GigE solution.

cheers
cabs

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:51 am

cabbers wrote:On the subject of Pi alternatives, I needed a board with Gig Ethernet-I have my Pi's with an Anker 3.0 Gig USB adaptor but it tops out at 350Mb/sec or so (due to the USB 2.0 bus I suppose). So I bought a A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2 https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXi ... e-hardware

I'm not an expert on Linux, and Linux kernels, and thanks for the illumination around how all these new boards promise the earth in terms of hardware and price (plus size) but what I never knew is that kernel support is pretty old-whereas Raspian is bang up to date-and has this fantastic forum. But this LIME2 now has 4.6 kernel support (in Armbian)-in the opinion of the community, does this change anything (it is still more expensive than a Pi2/Pi3-granted)? Or are there other features and packages and community support that the Pi just has, that means all these all new kids on the block just cant compete?

If and when Mr Upton decides on GigE for a Pi, I'm back in there :-) but for the stuff I test on, I need a native GigE solution.

cheers
cabs
Ask yourself what happens when the SoC is obsolete, will Armbian Community Developers still keep updating.

The SoC in the RPi 1 and Zero BCM2836 is a decade or so old and still supported.

IMO only Odroid come close to offering good support and would be my choice if wanted an alternative SBC.

cabbers

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks for the reply-my question was more round the pro and cons, rather than a worry that in a few years, something becomes outdated.I'm not looking to have these for the next 10 years, just trying to weigh up the pro and cons now/1 year on.

I'll have a look at the ODroid stuff-like a I say, GigE is the big miss for me for the Pi-I do understand this involves a lot of work if it was to happen, but for me, it stands out like a sore thumb amongst all these Linux boards

cheers
cabs

jahboater

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:47 am

cabbers wrote:I'll have a look at the ODroid stuff-like a I say, GigE is the big miss for me for the Pi-I do understand this involves a lot of work if it was to happen, but for me, it stands out like a sore thumb amongst all these Linux boards
Yes, the Odroid-C2 has GigE directly connected to the soc. It is a clone of the Pi having the similar board layout, dimensions, and mounting holes which can be useful. Its lithography is 28nm so it runs faster (2GHz) and cooler. It also has a built in heatsink. I have never got it to throttle back even with deliberate stress testing (including cpuburn-53 which throttles back or crashes my Pi3 in seconds). There is no built-in Wifi. But it does have 100Mhz DDR eMMC 5.0 as well as micro SD card for storage, you can boot off either.

cabbers

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks-I never got the eMMC version, as the its not supported in the 4.6 release :? I have so many nano wifi adaptors, that's not a problem either :-)
It seems ok so far, only issue I have it it seems to go to "sleep" for some strange reason, after about 30 mins (it may be DHCP related...)-which I haven't found out the reason for why yet. Never had that problem with my Pi's so I'm not giving up on them yet!

cabs

Return to “Off topic discussion”