fruit-uk

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:51 am

blc wrote:I sincerely hope that, when the Tories finally decide who gets the poisoned chalice of leading the party, a general election is called. If you want to make sure that your voice is heard, that you are represented, then that is the time to take action and that is the time to hold to account those who have failed you.
Me too... but who is going to represent
the poor, the deprived, the post-industrial areas of the country
with enough clout to make any difference?

blc

Re:

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 am

fruit-uk wrote:
blc wrote:I sincerely hope that, when the Tories finally decide who gets the poisoned chalice of leading the party, a general election is called. If you want to make sure that your voice is heard, that you are represented, then that is the time to take action and that is the time to hold to account those who have failed you.
Me too... but who is going to represent
the poor, the deprived, the post-industrial areas of the country
with enough clout to make any difference?
Personally I'd be voting Labour this time around. Jeremy Corbyn is one of the few people claiming to stand for the rights of working people, and he doesn't join in the "old boys club" behaviour that we so often get in parliament (jeering, boos, throwing insults around, dodging the question, answering a question that wasn't asked, etc). Although his future is uncertain since he hasn't been popular with all of the Labour party since he was elected leader, and now the knives are well and truly out for him - apparently now even the deputy Labour leader has told him to resign (although exactly what went on in that meeting is unclear).

fruit-uk

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 am

Seems to me that Jeremy Corbyn is not Labour that the Labour Party now has become sadly.

Massi

Re: Supply chain

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:18 am

joan wrote:
jahboater wrote: ...
The petition now has over 3.3 million signatures.
Some 40 thousand from the Vatican City - very few (including me) knew it was a remaining British territory.
WHAT?

blc

Re:

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:22 am

fruit-uk wrote:Seems to me that Jeremy Corbyn is not Labour that the Labour Party now has become sadly.
He's closer to traditional Labour values than Blair and his "New Labour" cronies (aka, neo-conservatives) ever were; there's a lot of ill will towards him from within the party because of that. Plus the fact that he's a pacifist hasn't gone over well.

joan

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:22 am

Massi wrote:
joan wrote:
jahboater wrote: ...
The petition now has over 3.3 million signatures.
Some 40 thousand from the Vatican City - very few (including me) knew it was a remaining British territory.
WHAT?
The bulk of the supposed signatories were generated by bots. The petition site has no protection against fraudulent entries (you just need to tick a box to say you are British).

Massi

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:31 am

joan wrote: The bulk of the supposed signatories were generated by bots. The petition site has no protection against fraudulent entries (you just need to tick a box to say you are British).
sorry, i got scared by that :)
So why don't you request the art. 50 procedure immediately?
i'm quite tired of loosing my money on stocks (not even exposed to gbp) because of your psychotic decision..
the sooner, the better.
all happy.

joan

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:41 am

Massi wrote:
joan wrote: The bulk of the supposed signatories were generated by bots. The petition site has no protection against fraudulent entries (you just need to tick a box to say you are British).
i'm quite tired of loosing my money on stocks (not even exposed to gbp) because of your psychotic decision..
the sooner, the better.
all happy.
Cameron may be forced to. I can see the reasons for delay - two years is not a long time for detailed discussions so they want to do preparatory work before the clock starts ticking. However if it is causing instability (and false hopes) it may be best to start now.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:46 pm

Massi wrote:
the sooner, the better.
all happy.
"Your Psychotic decision"

It's was a democratic vote, not a psychotic one. Don't tar everyone in the UK with the same brush. Nearly half the voters wanted to remain in.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

piglet

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:58 pm

jamesh wrote:Nearly half the voters wanted to remain in.
Every out voter but one I have spoken to has said that they wanted to lodge a "protest vote", not actually leave. They were shocked that they got what they voted for.

The other one was simply a racist, as far as I could tell.

paddyg

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:06 pm

There will probably be more downward movement of stocks. In the medium term the best option is for 'us' to help the other EU countries drive the UK into recession. Unpatriotic as that might be, the only way to move forward cleanly (i.e. without widespread civil strife) is if everyone involved with brexit genuinely regrets it.

On the plus side prices for components manufactured in the UK should fall!
also https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB&fromgroups=#!forum/pi3d

joan

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:09 pm

piglet wrote: ...
Every out voter but one I have spoken to has said that they wanted to lodge a "protest vote", not actually leave. They were shocked that they got what they voted for.
I bet they feel silly now.

The oddest of polls - one side exclusively voted from the loftiest of ideals, the other side all voted from the basest of reasons or were incompetent.

piglet

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Do we need to guess hard to tell which way you voted? :P

I wasn't generalising. Just stating what I personally had observed.

hippy

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:15 pm

joan wrote:It just shows there are millions of fools willing to sign a silly petition.
And this just shows the damage done in having the referendum. It has polarised the country, divided people, set one half against the other.

Britain is divided.
The people are divided.
The Conservative party is divided.
The Labour party is divided.
Even UKIP is divided.

Calling people fools will not help resolve those divisions.

We had a referendum and we all know the result. The question is; would we get the same result today ?

If leavers are confident they would then why are they so resistant to another referndum ?

If they are not then how is it the will of the people to go forward on a course which doesn't reflect the will of the people ?

Had it been 60-40 then it would probably be right to say, "suck it up, the people have decided". But with 52-48, as even Farage said, it would not be settled, there would be unfinished business.

There is a fundamental issue of democracy at stake here.

joan

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:16 pm

piglet wrote:Do we need to guess hard to tell which way you voted? :P
Perhaps we should take a poll? :D

Massi

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:34 pm

jamesh wrote: "Your Psychotic decision"

It's was a democratic vote, not a psychotic one. Don't tar everyone in the UK with the same brush. Nearly half the voters wanted to remain in.
unhappy choice of the term, i'm sorry.

hippy

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:44 pm

jahboater wrote:Sadly many "leave" votes were for the wrong reason.
I agree. I believe this was mostly a reaction to austerity and the elite's disdain towards decent, honest, hard working folk. The EU were set-up as the fall guy for that, being blamed for all our woes.

Part of the issue is that many don't believe the EU has ever done anything for them, believe our own government would and will provide the same levels of rights as have come through EU law, or don't care about having such rights.

Many see the EU as an entirely bad or pointless thing while others do not.

Many of those will have come to a view the EU does nothing for us because we have never truly embraced being a member, have always been on its periphery, wanting the benefits of membership but not liking what else that entails.

We are like the reluctant player who turns up for a match, wants to be rewarded with a win, but spends their time skulking on the sidelines, rather than on the field.

What I thought particularly telling was the Leave view of democracy; that one person sitting in a room of twenty wasn't democratic because we only got 5% of the say and we could not therefore automatically get our way if we disagreed with a decision made.

Consequently we rarely celebrate the good and only criticise the bad. And a lot of the bad has been lies, misinformation and disinformation which people have swallowed as if the truth. Thirty years of that is going to influence things.

hippy

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:26 pm

joan wrote:The bulk of the supposed signatories were generated by bots.
Could those be bots run by Leavers trying to undermine the validity of a petition which a Leaver had created but Remainers were all signing-up to ?

It seems to me that Leavers would like to invalidate the petition as much as Remainers would like it to succeed.

I don't believe the bulk of votes were from bots but it remains to be seen. Those running the petition site have quite a few tools at their disposal to identify bots, fraudulent and inadmissible votes. It seems they have found and removed nearly 80,000 votes so far, but that's not many out of a now 3.75 million. Just 2%.

I wonder how many votes or postal votes in the referendum were fraudulent or inadmissible ?

We can all play the character assassination game and be conspiracy theorists.

joan

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:32 pm

hippy wrote:
joan wrote:The bulk of the supposed signatories were generated by bots.
Could those be bots from Leavers trying to undermine the validity of a petition which a Leaver had created but Remainers were all signing-up to ?

It seems to me that Leavers would like to invalidate the petition as much as Remainers would like it to succeed.

I don't believe the bulk of votes were from bots but it remains to be seen. Those running the petition site have quite a few tools at their disposal to identify bots, fraudulent and inadmissible votes. It seems they have found and removed nearly 80,000 votes so far, but that's not many out of a now 3.75 million. Just 2%.

I wonder how many votes or postal votes in the referendum were fraudulent or inadmissible ?

We can all play the character assassination game and be conspiracy theorists.
I have no idea.

I don't know another adjective to use for people who are so ignorant of UK electoral law to think that a petition can change the rules of a vote after its completion.

Burngate

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Apparently, in three hour's time, England is going to play Iceland.
If we lose, can we petition for a rematch?
Surely if we can do it for something as important as the EU referendum, we must be able to do it in Football?
In fact, we should keep playing till we win!

Massi

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:51 pm

the petition is ridiculous.
at the level of cameron saying "there's no hurry in requesting art. 50, we need before to decide what kind of agreement we want from europe"

leave won. Now leave. Now.

joan

Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Massi wrote:the petition is ridiculous.
at the level of cameron saying "there's no hurry in requesting art. 50, we need before to decide what kind of agreement we want from europe"

Cameron (the Prime Minister) has made a statement about the process in our House of Commons and is currently answering questions from MPs.

Burngate

Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:04 pm

I agree with the first part, though there are two things to think about for the second.
Having said we'll leave the party, we need to collect our hats and coats, and order a taxi.

Also, both sides need to organise it so that neither side get too damaged.
i'm sure our hosts would be displeased if we took with us our half-full glasses and the plates of sandwiches.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:02 pm

davidcoton wrote:Obviously the PM should be replaced with a PI.
Then we could vote for who gets to program it.
And in what language (programming as well as natural).
Just think, it's cheap enough that we could upgrade it when necessary without raising taxes.
Maybe *that* is what Prince Harry is doing with the PI he was given when he visited Pi Towers....

hippy

Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:15 pm

It is ridiculous in what it asks for but that's not really the point. It has become a "this isn't right" banner for those who aren't happy to congregate under and get that on the agenda. Parliament and everyone else knows why it's being supported and will no doubt consider that sentiment in due course.

Return to “Off topic discussion”