WadeBrody

Wiring

Tue May 31, 2016 10:35 pm

So I have been think of making a Raspberry Pi 2 Portable. But I was going to take of the Ethernet port and both of the USB ports, and wire on single straight solder USB females. I'm a beginner at all of this, I've never soldered before or had any experience with wiring. So I was wondering, what wire do I buy for like 5V and Ground or the black , green, white, and red wires for soldering the USBs. Thanks for answering to my noobish question... :roll:

klricks

Re: Wiring

Tue May 31, 2016 11:27 pm

WadeBrody wrote:So I have been think of making a Raspberry Pi 2 Portable. But I was going to take of the Ethernet port and both of the USB ports, and wire on single straight solder USB females. I'm a beginner at all of this, I've never soldered before or had any experience with wiring. So I was wondering, what wire do I buy for like 5V and Ground or the black , green, white, and red wires for soldering the USBs. Thanks for answering to my noobish question... :roll:
If you have never soldered before then this is not something that you should attempt. The chance of you damaging the RPi beyond repair is very high. Removing components like that can be troublesome even for experienced people even proper de-soldering tools.
Why do you think you need to remove the ports to make a portable RPi?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue May 31, 2016 11:48 pm

WadeBrody wrote: ... So I was wondering, what wire do I buy for like 5V and Ground or the black , green, white, and red wires for soldering the USBs.
I agree with the last post emphatically... learn to solder on straight-forward project from Make, or Sparkfun, or somewhere... and leave your PI alone till you're ready (or, you'll ruin it).

Having said that, I like to buy the multi-colored ribbon cable for my hookup wire... its easy to work with, is a ready-made 'bus,' looks great, and is inexpensive.

(please don't try to solder on your PI till you know what you're doing)
marcus
:ugeek:

WadeBrody

Tue May 31, 2016 11:58 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
WadeBrody wrote: ... So I was wondering, what wire do I buy for like 5V and Ground or the black , green, white, and red wires for soldering the USBs.
I agree with the last post emphatically... learn to solder on straight-forward project from Make, or Sparkfun, or somewhere... and leave your PI alone till you're ready (or, you'll ruin it).

Having said that, I like to buy the multi-colored ribbon cable for my hookup wire... its easy to work with, is a ready-made 'bus,' looks great, and is inexpensive.

(please don't try to solder on your PI till you know what you're doing)
Thanks for replying and for the help

WadeBrody

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:00 am

klricks wrote:
WadeBrody wrote:So I have been think of making a Raspberry Pi 2 Portable. But I was going to take of the Ethernet port and both of the USB ports, and wire on single straight solder USB females. I'm a beginner at all of this, I've never soldered before or had any experience with wiring. So I was wondering, what wire do I buy for like 5V and Ground or the black , green, white, and red wires for soldering the USBs. Thanks for answering to my noobish question... :roll:
If you have never soldered before then this is not something that you should attempt. The chance of you damaging the RPi beyond repair is very high. Removing components like that can be troublesome even for experienced people even proper de-soldering tools.
Why do you think you need to remove the ports to make a portable RPi?
I wasn't planning on going straight into the project without the necessary experience. I was going to do some smaller projects leading up to this. And I wanted to remove the ports by making it slimmer to make it more easy to fit inside of a case, so it wouldn't look so big and bulky...

Return to “Off topic discussion”