Heater

Dave Jones - Orange Pi One vs Raspberry Pi 2

Tue May 24, 2016 9:30 am

Dave Jones, the famous blogger on matters electronic, compares and contrasts the Raspberry Pi 2 and Orang Pi One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEyU1zSqFwU

Bottom line:

Orange Pi, very cheap, performs well, needs heat sink, terrible support.

Raspberry Pi, more expensive, bit less performant, excellent support.

We probably all know that already but it's interesting to see an "outsiders" view. Especially one who has been involved with micro-controllers and micro-processors for decades.

Dave has a very specific application in mind so his review is some what oriented in that direction so he neglects to explore what happens when you want to use the camera connector, the GPIO, PWM, UART, I2C, etc, etc.

Edit: Oops...forgot the link. It's there now.
Last edited by Heater on Tue May 24, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Dave Jones - Orange Pi One vs Raspberry Pi 2

Tue May 24, 2016 11:23 am

He's a bit of a daydream believer without a link to his report. I guess you could take Giant Step and add a link, I'm a Believer in that. It might be a Little bit me or a Little bit you, but Some Day Man, a link would really make this a Pleasant Valley Sunday.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 am

jamesh wrote:He's a bit of a daydream believer without a link to his report. I guess you could take Giant Step and add a link, I'm a Believer in that. It might be a Little bit me or a Little bit you, but Some Day Man, a link would really make this a Pleasant Valley Sunday.
No Jamesh, Dave Jones was a UK Footballer and Manager ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

Heater

Tue May 24, 2016 12:28 pm

No fruitoftheloom, David Bowie was David Jones.

The link is there now.

blc

Wed May 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Dave has quite openly admitted - on his own channel and The Amp Hour podcast - that he doesn't "do" software, he's a hardware guy. But even allowing for that Dave screwed this one up IMO.

He compares it to a Pi2B instead of a Pi3B. IIRC this Orange Pi One has a 1.6GHz processor - well of course it's going to outperform the Pi2B's 900MHz CPU (and, consequently, use more power).

He mentions that the Orange Pi One is open source and that you can get the datasheet for the CPU core. That doesn't make it open source hardware; give me the schematic files and the source for any embedded firmware and then you can call it open source hardware (I did have a cursory search for the schematics).

From what I've read the Armbian distro he used still has a 3.4.x kernel, and 3.4.x was introduced four years ago. Ouch.

lpsw

Wed May 25, 2016 1:52 pm

jamesh wrote:He's a bit of a daydream believer without a link to his report. I guess you could take Giant Step and add a link, I'm a Believer in that. It might be a Little bit me or a Little bit you, but Some Day Man, a link would really make this a Pleasant Valley Sunday.
{Hot coffee billowing from both nostrils...}
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

ssvb

Fri May 27, 2016 5:28 pm

Heater wrote:Dave Jones, the famous blogger on matters electronic, compares and contrasts the Raspberry Pi 2 and Orang Pi One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEyU1zSqFwU

Bottom line:

Orange Pi, very cheap, performs well, needs heat sink, terrible support.
If you have watched the whole video, then you have probably noticed that the 'software support" issues are easily resolved, for example, by using the armbian distribution.

Regarding the heatsink, it is not really necessary because the CPU clock speed gets throttled automatically and it avoids overheating. The throttling threshold is set around 85C and may slightly overshoot up to 90C. The SoC itself is rated for 125C, so it is reasonably safe (this is not mentioned in the Allwinner H3 manual, but Allwinner A64 provides this information). After all, the Raspberry Pi is not any different. But having a heatsink prevents throttling and surely improves performance on heavy workloads, or when putting the board into a poorly ventilated enclosure.

There was some strange rant about aliexpress being a shady place (huh, is it really different from ebay?). And also the complaint about not being able to power the board through the micro USB receptacle makes no sense. A proper barrel plug in fact safeguards against the voltage drop issues related to using AWG28 rated USB cables and/or weak power supplies. Some moron, for example, could try to use a USB port of his PC to power the board and then complain about reliability.
Raspberry Pi, more expensive, bit less performant, excellent support.
Well, if you check the raspbian.org website, then you can see that "Raspbian is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Raspbian was created by a small, dedicated team of developers that are fans of the Raspberry Pi hardware, the educational goals of the Raspberry Pi Foundation and, of course, the Debian Project." Huh, a big surprise? Basically, he is blaming Xunlong (the makers of Orange Pi boards) for relying on "third party" software, while the Raspberry Pi is doing exactly the same!

And by the way, I'm personally relying on "third party" software from kernel.org too ;) Does it mean that I'm supposed to have terrible software support?

ssvb

Fri May 27, 2016 5:45 pm

blc wrote:From what I've read the Armbian distro he used still has a 3.4.x kernel, and 3.4.x was introduced four years ago. Ouch.
There is the mainline kernel support too. But it is a bit experimental at the moment, because the Allwinner H3 SoC is relatively new. But most of the important drivers (USB, Ethernet, ...) are already implemented or are under review and about to land to the mainline kernel very soon. Really impatient people can already build the kernel from some work-in-progress git branches :)

Regarding the 3.4 kernel branch. It is a long term support release, which still gets the bugfixes from upstream. If you check kernel.org, then you can see that the last 3.4.112 update had been released on 2016-04-27 (just a month ago, not four years). And armbian still uses the 3.4 kernel on Allwinner H3 because this kernel is more feature complete at the moment. The boards with older Allwinner SoCs, such as Allwiner A20, have already switched to the mainline kernel in armbian a long time ago. The Allwinner H3 will surely follow, there is absolutely no doubt about this.

Heater

Fri May 27, 2016 5:55 pm

ssvb,

I don't have a fish to fry in the Pi vs whatever debate. I will use whatever meets the requirement spec. and gets the job done easily and cheaply.

Support though is a strange thing.

Perhaps vendor X provides as good, or as bad, support as the Pi Foundation.

But the Linux world is a huge soup of ever changing software and documentation. No vendor can support all of that. It all relies on the users, the forums the blogs, the tutorials, etc, ect, that users create. The more users the better the support, from other users.

It's a network effect thing.

Perhaps vendor X will one day attract a similarly huge and enthusiastic user base. Who knows?

Return to “Off topic discussion”