adeptdigital

Request: New forum category

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:02 am

Hi

I totally understand that the key use case for the Pi in education is teaching programming etc.

However, there is another important use case: Raspberry Pi to create low cost computer rooms in resource-poor contexts:
- limited or no Internet
- limited space / multi-use spaces where the computers have to be packed away
- limited access to electricity

Searches through this forum show lots of people talking about this use case, but there really isn't a "home" for these discussions under the current forum categories.

Would the foundation consider adding a new category for this?

Thanks
Brendon

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Request: New forum category

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:36 am

adeptdigital wrote:I totally understand that the key use case for the Pi in education is teaching programming etc.
You answered your own question. The RPF may think its a great idea; I'm not an rpf decision maker, but if I were on the board I would want every aspect of the operation of the charity to adhere to the foundation's Mission, Vision, and Strategic Objectives. Frankly, I have thought that the forum has too many breakout sessions, as it were. Keeping the forum simple, concise, clean, searchable and fast within the framework of the foundation's charity objectives is key. (just saying)

;)
marcus
:ugeek:

Heater

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:59 am

Yeah, this forum as a ludicrously huge number of sections already.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Koeshi

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:13 am

Heater wrote:Yeah, this forum as a ludicrously huge number of sections already.
Compared to some of the boards I have used over the years it is positively compact :D

adeptdigital

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi

I am still working on this project, and am even more convinced that we need a home on the Pi Forum for this use case.

If you agree, please say so in a reply!

Thanks
Brendon

FlexibleSigmoid

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Can you concisely state your category in one line of text, less than 80 char, (prefer less than 40 char)? I think you've covered quite a large area with your first post, and it would just end up with sub-cat upon sub-cat.

Look through the forum and look at the categories, they are all 2 - 3 words long.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:14 pm

adeptdigital wrote: - limited or no Internet
Since you brought this point up, let me share a solution to a problem that will otherwise occur...

Time keeping. If you connect the Pis over a LAN, you can add an RTC to one and configure it as an NTP server. Since I have the exact issue once a year for about 5 days (I run a convention registration system that is kept isolated for security reasons), I have built an NTP server out of a Pi Zero. A Model B+ would be almost as cheap, but larger (though size isn't actually an issue).

Pi Zero $5
RTC module $2.60
OTG adapter $1.50
USB to Ethernet adapter $11.00
8GB microSD card $3
Header pins $0.20
PSU left over from Model B use $0

Total: $23.30

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:55 pm

Stick your stuff in viewforum.php?f=113 that's an abandoned and unloved part of the forum that could use a boost.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

liudr

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:43 am

Heater wrote:Yeah, this forum as a ludicrously huge number of sections already.
Considering the subject of raspberry pi includes software, hardware, mods, education, electronics/circuits, etc. there really aren't many sub-boards. Just my 2 cents.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

Heater

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:52 am

That is true. Once you have Linux up and running you have a thousand languages to choose from. Many and varied libraries to use with them. A mass of hardware gizmos to interface to. Then there ocean of applications. Not to mention the huge issue of networking.

All of these things can cause problems for people and are candidates for a forum section.

Ideally a forum section for all possible combinations of the above, for example something that works with Python on Raspbian may not work on Ubuntu for some odd reason.

So, whilst we are inventing new forum sections do you think it would be possible to have one for the most widely used programming language in the world as it pertains to the Raspberry Pi, Javascript ?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “Off topic discussion”