Heater

Re: Things I never want to see on a Raspberry Pi

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:49 pm

When I was a kid we live in the countryside. We had a dog a cat, a rabbit, a hamster, and whatever else.

When we came to move out of there all the pets were found good new homes.

The cat was ultimately put in a cat box, which was put in a car, which drove it 20 miles to it's nice new owners home.

Next morning the cat was back scratching at the front door.

How the hell did it find it's way back?!

piglet

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:53 am

Blue LEDs get the Piglet's Soldering iron treatment. They end up in the "probably never use" slot of the component box.

Heater

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

MikeDunn,
Catnav ?
Thanks. That made me laugh.

Of course catnav does actually exist: http://www.wired.com/2014/08/how-to-use ... ors-wi-fi/

alphanumeric

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Blue, Red, Green, they are all annoying if they light up your room when your trying to sleep. :x
I'd love to see Windows 10 Mobile ported to the Pi. I'd still be running Raspbian and OPENELEC on some of my Pi's. But another OS to play with won't hurt. Especially when you can swap your OS just by swapping your uSD card.

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Goraxium wrote: 1. Blue LEDs tend to draw more power. There would be no benefit in switching to them.

Actually, the above :roll: is NOT true... please read this link.
marcus
:ugeek:

Heater

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:40 pm

I already said that, and pointed to the same evidence.

I'd rather have red, green and blue LEDs keeping me awake at night than Windows 10 Mobile :)

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Heater wrote:I already said that, and pointed to the same evidence.
My bad...
marcus
:ugeek:

mimi123

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Windows Server 2016 works perfectly on ARM64, and has a desktop.

mimi123

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:27 pm

alphanumeric wrote:Blue, Red, Green, they are all annoying if they light up your room when your trying to sleep. :x
I'd love to see Windows 10 Mobile ported to the Pi. I'd still be running Raspbian and OPENELEC on some of my Pi's. But another OS to play with won't hurt. Especially when you can swap your OS just by swapping your uSD card.
Windows 10 Mobile works fine. I will look about uploading the FFU someday, maybe together with Windows 10 Mobile for Surface RT

alphanumeric

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:34 pm

mimi123 wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:Blue, Red, Green, they are all annoying if they light up your room when your trying to sleep. :x
Windows 10 Mobile works fine. I will look about uploading the FFU someday, maybe together with Windows 10 Mobile for Surface RT
How did you get your hands on Windows 10 Mobile?

Douglas6

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Mimi123 periodically makes somewhat extraordinary claims. I haven't seen any made good on.

scruss

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Douglas6 wrote:7. Piezo speaker
Bah. I was just thinking how neat some Tim Follin piezo craziness would sound.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

CarlRJ

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:05 am

1. I love the color blue, and blue light in general, but I have a strong dislike for blue LEDs on devices, because manufacturers tend to slap one or more in and consider their job done, with no thought to how much light comes out - my cablemodem has two blue LEDs that would singlehandedly light up my living room at night, had I not taken countermeasures. You don't want to just completely black them out with electrical tape, because you actually do want to know what they're saying, but they're difficult to mask effectively so that one gets the information they can provide without also getting room-alterating illumination. Also, one should not have to modify brand-new devices this way. I see them too often as a clear sign that a manufacturer doesn't care to do things right, they're just trying to cheaply hit their list of required bullet points. Blue LEDs on equipment are all too often like that one friend who doesn't have an inside voice, and can only COMMUNICATE BY SHOUTING.

2, 3, 4. Anything _not_ running Windows, Candy Crush, or Flash is a huge win. The only good use of Flash ever was HomeStarRunner and StrongBad.

5. Kitten videos are entertaining. I don't need a lot of them. But I am highly suspicious of people who do not both understand and like cats.

6. Biometrics are handy if they ACTUALLY WORK. Apple's TouchID works. Most of what came before was worse than useless. Still remember my brother spending minutes and minutes trying to get the gimmicky biometric reader on his laptop to recognize him, every time he opened it.

7. Eh, don't want a piezo speaker, but the Pi would be ever so much better if you could plug in a basic old-school two-wire 8-ohm speaker and get useful sound out of it - not hi-fidelity digital audio, just what an Apple II was capable of doing 40 years ago.

8. 64 GB of RAM - I'll never argue against more resources, if they are free or nearly so. If more RAM doesn't make the system way more expensive, slow, hot, or power hungry, bring it on. With that kind of RAM, the first thing I'd do is hide the SD card behind an equivalent sized ramdisk using overlayfs, unionfs, or some such. Then you could only write out changes to the SD card every once-in-a-while instead of constantly, and make the card last much longer (yes, you'd also need a few seconds of warning before the system powered down - supercapacitors, anyone?).

9. FireWire is a terrific standard that has lost relevancy. The FW400 connector was a thing of beauty and back in the day FW400 was SO much better than USB for pushing disk-sized data through.

10. I still recall RMS joking at a conference that they were having trouble finding volunteers to work on GNU Cobol.

stderr

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:29 am

CarlRJ wrote:8. 64 GB of RAM - I'll never argue against more resources,
"640 GB of memory should be enough for anybody." --Bill Gates

Burngate

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:52 am

stderr wrote:"640 kB of memory should be enough for anybody." --Bill Gates
FTFY

Burngate

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:54 am

CarlRJ wrote:... But I am highly suspicious of people who do not both understand and like cats.
Cats are only useful against small birds and mice, voles, ...
For rats you need a terrier.

alphanumeric

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:02 am

Douglas6 wrote:Mimi123 periodically makes somewhat extraordinary claims. I haven't seen any made good on.
OK, that explains that. I had a feeling it was just spam.

CarlRJ

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:15 am

stderr wrote:
CarlRJ wrote:8. 64 GB of RAM - I'll never argue against more resources,
"640 GB of memory should be enough for anybody." --Bill Gates
I still remember the days when one of our games was to see just how interesting of a program you could fit into the 208 BYTES available on page 3 in an Apple II. ;)

mimi123

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:53 am

alphanumeric wrote:
mimi123 wrote:
How did you get your hands on Windows 10 Mobile?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzj6J ... m43TVZad28
Open the OEMInputSamples/RPi2_Mobile/ProductionOEMInput.xml after copying those directories to Windows Kits/10(with a system which has the IoT Core Packages and the 10 Mobile packages[from MSDN] and the Windows ADK installed.
I'm going to upload an image soon if my bandwith allows it(you can also see the Surface RT Windows 10 Mobile XML file, with the packages I created uploaded to https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzj6J ... TJTUWs2T1U [I misnamed HALextTegra2 by adding nvmem to it though, the real HALExt package is HalExtTegra3])
My ADSL upload is slow and I hope that one will be able to replicate my images with the XML files I spent so much time on to get them working

alphanumeric

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:48 pm

mimi123 I sent you a PM. I didn't want to clutter up this thread with the 10 Mobile on a Pi stuff.

morphy_richards

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:52 pm

I think that's quite interesting. I did see a thread about that a while back but if there is something new perhaps start a new thread?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:22 am

Dutch_Master wrote:The E96 range has 60 available :P
No it doesn't. The closest value in E96 is 60.4, E192 has the slightly closer 59.7. Still close enough for practical purposes.

The real problem with high Vf LEDs and small resistor values running off 3.3V is that a small fluctuation in supply voltage can mean a big change in current.

peterlite

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:55 am

Stuff a kitten. Put blue LEDs in the eye sockets and a Pi in the chest cavity. Write a COBOL program to Flash the blue LEDs on and off like the old HTML blink attribute. Write a Java program to generate a meow through piezo speakers on the end of firewires so you can spread the entertainment out to every room. 64 GB would help load the Java SDK.

When someone wants to switch the kitten off, you pop up the Windows 10 desktop to make switching off too difficult. Should they succeed in understanding the Windows 10 user interface, they have to confirm the power down sequence by winning a game of Candy Crush then presenting their thumbprint.

Malman35

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:33 am

peterlite wrote:Stuff a kitten. Put blue LEDs in the eye sockets and a Pi in the chest cavity. Write a COBOL program to Flash the blue LEDs on and off like the old HTML blink attribute. Write a Java program to generate a meow through piezo speakers on the end of firewires so you can spread the entertainment out to every room. 64 GB would help load the Java SDK.

When someone wants to switch the kitten off, you pop up the Windows 10 desktop to make switching off too difficult. Should they succeed in understanding the Windows 10 user interface, they have to confirm the power down sequence by winning a game of Candy Crush then presenting their thumbprint.
:lol:
I don't want to ever see ahh... I don't know. Can't think of anything. I agree about the blue LED though.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

Check out my cool website for my stop motion animations.
www.mem3500films.ml

Return to “Off topic discussion”