CaptSunset

What about all those Android apps for Pi?

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:51 pm

I was browsing around the Google PlayStore because when I'd looked for a Kodi remote there, I noticed several other Raspberry Pi apps for ssh and such.

There are quite a few there, and it made me wonder if any are recommended by you guys here.

(It also made me wonder why Android, as a close relative in the Arm family, is almost never mentioned while :? win10 has become nearly acceptable to discuss... ;))

Back on topic, any of those tablet apps in use by folks here?

OK, just to be clear- these are apps that run on Android tablets and talk to the Pi; they don't run on the Pi...
Last edited by CaptSunset on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Re: What about all those Android apps for Pi?

Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:01 pm

There is no supported Android for the Pi.

From the FAQs
6. WILL IT RUN ANDROID?

No. While a version of Android can be found in the forum, it is not stable enough for everyday use. There are no plans to continue working on it, as Android does not provide any enhancement to educational purposes that are not already fulfilled more readily with existing software – we see it as a platform for consumption, not creation
In the Android Forum viewforum.php?f=73 you will see a sticky post at the top viewtopic.php?f=73&t=71658 titled "THERE CURRENTLY IS NO WORKING ANDROID FOR PI !", which pretty much sums it up.

If you want to see the state of any unofficial Android attempts, there are a couple of links in that post which may help you.

Otherwise stick to one of the supported Operation Systems, like Raspbian, which has tens of thousands of packages of software available.

Douglas6

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:00 pm

rpdom wrote:There is no supported Android for the Pi.
No. But there are apps intended for communicating with a Pi. WebIOPi, for example. I haven't used any myself, apart from some Bluetooth terminal apps (not Pi-specific).

darkbibble

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:51 pm

in the windblows mobile store there is a few pi related apps too
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

stderr

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:08 pm

CaptSunset wrote:I was browsing around the Google PlayStore because when I'd looked for a Kodi remote there, I noticed several other Raspberry Pi apps for ssh and such.
There are quite a few there, and it made me wonder if any are recommended by you guys here.
(It also made me wonder why Android, as a close relative in the Arm family, is almost never mentioned while :? win10 has become nearly acceptable to discuss...
You can talk about interfacing the pi to android and the android to the pi, it's just that since they don't have android for the pi, asking that question again and again is about as interesting as, "I changed my /etc/network/interface file to work with a static ip but it's not working for some reason." Or the other one, "I just installed Jessie and my sdcard is 64 gigs, why does it say it's out of space?"

CaptSunset

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:59 pm

stderr... apparently you need to improve your both your reading and social skills

OK, just to be clear- these are apps that run on Android tablets and talk to the Pi; they don't run on the Pi...

I wasn't interested in installing Android on my Pi's, but in running timelapse cameras headless from my tablet.

Why don't you look at all the Raspberry-branded apps in the Playstore: mebbe there'll be something to interest even you.

stderr

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:10 pm

CaptSunset wrote:stderr... apparently you need to improve your both your reading and social skills
Geez, I didn't even attack you and you are wounded. I come from usenet, social skills weren't needed there, but come on, you are being too sensitive.
OK, just to be clear- these are apps that run on Android tablets and talk to the Pi; they don't run on the Pi... I wasn't interested in installing Android on my Pi's, but in running timelapse cameras headless from my tablet.

I know that, I was explaining why they don't have an android area here, because there is no version of android for the pi so there would just be questions about how to run android on the pi.

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:58 pm

CaptSunset wrote:OK, just to be clear- these are apps that run on Android tablets and talk to the Pi; they don't run on the Pi...
Why not install some and see what they do? I use the Raspicam app on my Hudl2.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mikerr

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:08 pm

Pi-related android apps I use:

Fing - for finding ip addresses of everything on your network.
Connectbot - ssh client
VNC Viewer

and of course my own apps :)

RaspiCam remote
Raspi health
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

CaptSunset

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Mike - thanks for those recommends; I'll definitely check yours out! :)

CaptSunset

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:02 pm

stderr wrote: Geez, I didn't even attack you and you are wounded. I come from usenet, social skills weren't needed there, but come on, you are being too sensitive.
OK, a word or few ...
according to PiJuice's Kickstarter survey, something like 85% of Pi's are owned by 'adult' techie types.
I'd say the percentage of adult posters here on the Foundation forums is closer to 99%.

Let me first just quote what somebody else quoted at me, in response to my same thread- from the Foundation FAQs:

"There are no plans to continue working on it, as Android does not provide any enhancement to educational purposes"

That's right, isn't it, the Pi was supposed to be for kids!

But here in the Foundation Forums there's no place for kids or newbies, apparently.

Or would you tell your kid they were boring you with questions they didn't even ask?

Because some mod glanced at the off-base responses instead of reading the OP, this thread got moved to OT.

What if that happened to some newbie or kid who was new to the Foundation forum?
Think they'd post again? Maybe, and maybe not...

Just fyi, I'm not 'wounded', I'm an adult and I'm a regular in several other forums and have even been a mod myself. But I wouldn't give this forum high marks for civility or patience with fellow posters.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:13 pm

And....any more of this and the thread gets closed.

So, some interesting facts:

No-one know what percentage of Pi are used by adults, and which by children. No-one.

Also, no-one knows what the ages of people posting on here are. This entire site is mean for children and adults alike, which is why there is no bad language, and any trolling or rudeness or similar is stomped on quickly.

Education is not limited to children. I learn something almost every day.

Mods only move threads when they are reported, they generally don't do it off their own back. So this thread was reported, then moved to off topic. Which in my mind it mostly is.

If you have a problem with a post REPORT IT. The mods cannot read every post, so they have to be reactively moderated.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

jamesh

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:33 pm

jamesh wrote:And....any more of this and the thread gets closed.

So, some interesting facts:

No-one know what percentage of Pi are used by adults, and which by children. No-one.

Also, no-one knows what the ages of people posting on here are. This entire site is mean for children and adults alike, which is why there is no bad language, and any trolling or rudeness or similar is stomped on quickly.

Education is not limited to children. I learn something almost every day.

Mods only move threads when they are reported, they generally don't do it off their own back. So this thread was reported, then moved to off topic. Which in my mind it mostly is.

If you have a problem with a post REPORT IT. The mods cannot read every post, so they have to be reactively moderated.
Oops, as pointed out by a friendly poster, that should say "meant", not "mean". Quite a humorous typo though...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

rpdom

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:52 pm

I might add that while more adults than kids (yes, there are some kids using these forums and they are very welcome) use the forums, a lot of us adults then go on to helping other kids to get started with programming with the Pi. They are the main target audience, but learning is something that can be done at any age. I've learnt a lot from using the Pi, even though I have been using Linux for many years before it came out.

Heater

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:41 pm

CaptSunset,
...according to PiJuice's Kickstarter survey, something like 85% of Pi's are owned by 'adult' techie types.
I'd say the percentage of adult posters here on the Foundation forums is closer to 99%.
I have no idea what some random Kickstarter guys or other people know about Pi usage and who cares anyway?

Consider this: Back in 1970 something When I was 13 years old I regularly attended a local amateur radio club meeting. Guess what? Most of the guys there were a decade or two or a lot more older than I was. They were perhaps a bit rough around the edges but very happy to explain about Ohm's Law or Standing Wave Ratios. If you were ready to listen.

What all this has to do with Android I have no idea. If someone wants to make it work on the Pi they are free to do so.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

kusti8

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Most people here are adults, but that is not a valid determiner for the Pi popularity in education. Most of the regulars here answering questions have knowledge and time to answer the questions, while most kids don't. Buy I have seen plenty of kids here asking questions (I am one myself).

I convinced my local school to buy 25 raspberry pis to teach programming which is working out great. That then influenced another school to do the same and I know a few schools which already have Raspberry Pis. In our case, it provides a nice portal into learning to programming and has definately achieved it's educational goals.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mandrewpi

Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:32 am

kusti8 wrote:Most people here are adults, but that is not a valid determiner for the Pi popularity in education. Most of the regulars here answering questions have knowledge and time to answer the questions, while most kids don't. Buy I have seen plenty of kids here asking questions (I am one myself).

I convinced my local school to buy 25 raspberry pis to teach programming which is working out great. That then influenced another school to do the same and I know a few schools which already have Raspberry Pis. In our case, it provides a nice portal into learning to programming and has definately achieved it's educational goals.
It would be awesome if my school would get pi's. They'd rather get 50 chrome books that don't work half the time. We could get an update to the computer apps class. Our computer books are only 25 or so years out of date (and I'm not kidding). The pi's could help the students actually learn to program and get a close up view of how a computer works. What's sad is my dad's old hp pavilion ze4900 is way more updated than our computer apps computers. Pi's could teach students how to use a command line instead of well all gui. I start using my command line and everyone thinks I'm hacking the CIA when I'm just updating my computer.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

CaptSunset

Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:19 pm

Just for the record:

This was originally posted by PiSupply when first Kickstarting the battery PiJiuce a couple years ago:

"We want to start by saying thanks for the quick response for this first survey - over 2300 of your have completed the survey so far! We know how much you Kickstarter backers love data and charts ...

18-24 4%
25-34 22%
35-44 34%
45-54 23%
55-64 10%
65> 4%

Identity:
Pro Engineer 33%
Maker 24%
Hacker 17%
Other 9%
Educator or Teacher 6%
Community Member 5%
Student 5%

One of the most interesting findings has been that nearly 95% of our backers are male and many of you are computing, software, or electronics engineers. Perhaps this is not a surprising statistic, however it is slightly worrying and does show that we need to do more to engage better with women and people outisde of the computing/software/electronics world - both PiJuice and the whole Raspberry Pi ecosystem."

https://www.pi-supply.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Heater

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:09 pm

CaptSunset,
...we need to do more to engage better with women and people outisde of the computing/software/electronics world...
Do we ?

Speaking as an old guy, I must say something weird has happened over the years. Back in nineteen-seventy something whilst I was a teenager studying maths, computer science and physics in a technical school there were quite a few girls around. In fact some of the girls always came out top of the class.

Later, in university there was a good proportion of girls studying physics with us. Again the girls outstripped the boys in the final degree results.

Later still, when I started work in electronics and software in the mid 80's there was always a good smattering if girls around.

Without me noticing this changed. Now that I think back, by 1998 there was not one single girl around doing engineering in Nokia where I worked at the time. That's among a huge population of engineers.

Clearly something changed.

But at the same time, boys stopped learning how to program when they are 10 or 12, like they did in the early 80's. A problem that Eben decided to tackle with making a cheap computer available to them to do so. Hence the Pi we have today.

That solution is available to 10 or 12 year old girls equally. I hope.
Last edited by Heater on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

CaptSunset

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Heater, that's a thoughtful post, thanks. It does seem odd that women are web users & smartphone & home theatre afficiandos right there with men; but are missing from the job scene except in CS roles...

Return to “Off topic discussion”