Kratos

Windows 10 on Pi3

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:53 pm

Do you guys know if Windows is planning to support the Raspberry Pi 3? If not, have they said they will not support it?

Please don't post Windows hate in this thread. :D

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Windows 10 on Pi3

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:13 pm

Kratos wrote:Do you guys know if Windows is planning to support the Raspberry Pi 3? If not, have they said they will not support it?

Kratos
What is the version of Windows 10 you wish to know about ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

W. H. Heydt

Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:35 am

Kratos wrote:Do you guys know if Windows is planning to support the Raspberry Pi 3? If not, have they said they will not support it?

Kratos
Contrary to fruitoftheloom, I'm going to assume that you are asking about Win 10 IoT (the *only* version of Win 10 that runs on *any* Pi). Since MS has said that the Pi is *the* approved platform for Win 10 IoT, they have two basic choices. Either they strap IoT developers down to the Pi2B, or they release a version for the Pi3B, permitting (but not requiring) developers to use the Pi3B.

And one other thing... Windows doesn't "intend" to do anything. It's just a product line. What is open to question is what Microsoft intends (or, if one wants to be really picky, what one or more high level managers at Microsoft intend).

FYI...I don't hate Windows, but I'm very leery of the intentions and behavior of MS.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:27 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:

Kratos
Contrary to fruitoftheloom, I'm going to assume that you are asking about Win 10 IoT (the *only* version of Win 10 that runs on *any* Pi). Since MS has said that the Pi is *the* approved platform for Win 10 IoT, they have two basic choices. Either they strap IoT developers down to the Pi2B, or they release a version for the Pi3B, permitting (but not requiring) developers to use the Pi3B.

And one other thing... Windows doesn't "intend" to do anything. It's just a product line. What is open to question is what Microsoft intends (or, if one wants to be really picky, what one or more high level managers at Microsoft intend).

FYI...I don't hate Windows, but I'm very leery of the intentions and behavior of MS.
Windows 10 IoT Core is being supported on the RPi 3B as this blog dated 29th Feb states:

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... berry-pi-3
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Kratos

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I meant the Windows 10, like the one that runs on your laptop, not the IOT version.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Rive

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Kratos wrote:Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I meant the Windows 10, like the one that runs on your laptop, not the IOT version.

Kratos
Never. Win10 IoT Core is it (and the current version, last time I checked was really for the pi2 hardware, and includes no User Interface at all (GUI)).

If you want a desktop experience, go with raspbian.
DNPNWO

mimi123

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Kratos wrote:Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I meant the Windows 10, like the one that runs on your laptop, not the IOT version.

Kratos
Windows 8.1 was compiled for ARM desktops, Win10 is also compiled, but it isn't public(ask for the CoreARM SKU, but I don't know which one at MS cares about that)

Rive

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:19 pm

mimi123 wrote:

Kratos
Windows 8.1 was compiled for ARM desktops, Win10 is also compiled, but it isn't public(ask for the CoreARM SKU, but I don't know which one at MS cares about that)
Win 8/8.1 will not run on the pi/pi2/pi3 (and neither will any 'laptop' version of Win10 as you know it). Your option for Windows is a headless Win10 IoT with no GUI..

See: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=113100
DNPNWO

mimi123

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Rive wrote:
mimi123 wrote:

Kratos
Win 8/8.1 will not run on the pi/pi2/pi3 (and neither will any 'laptop' version of Win10 as you know it). Your option for Windows is a headless Win10 IoT with no GUI..

See: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=113100
It's me who wrote that answer :)
A light HYP layer to simulate a GIC can be used perfectly AFAIK
NOTE: it's a nasty hack(don't try it if you don't know what you're doing), as I didn't figure the HALext interrupt controller extension yet

Return to “Off topic discussion”