mmkw43

Windows 10 ?

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:19 pm

Just read about Linux capability in Windows 10? So do you think then that python code will run? Will python be included I wonder?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Windows 10 ?

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:26 pm

mmkw43 wrote:Just read about Linux capability in Windows 10? So do you think then that python code will run? Will python be included I wonder?
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ ... s.html?m=1

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Developer ... ows10.aspx

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... on-windows

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=142534
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

mmkw43

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:46 pm

So let's just get rid of the forum -- maybe I like it easier and quicker? Maybe I'm that busy?

Thanks for the smartalec answer.

topguy

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:50 pm

Python already runs on Windows (idk about IOT), why would you want to run "Python compiled for Linux" on Windows ?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:59 pm

mmkw43 wrote:So let's just get rid of the forum -- maybe I like it easier and quicker? Maybe I'm that busy?

If you have an issue with a post on the forum, please report it. The mods will take a look and see what action if any need to be taken. I don't like smart alec answers either.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

CaptSunset

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 pm

You get that a lot here talking about :? win10

ZDnet says here that Ubuntu will partner up with M$...

Microsoft and Canonical partner to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10
Ubuntu users will be able to run Ubuntu simultaneously with Windows. This will not be in a virtual machine, but as an integrated part of Windows 10.
The details won't be revealed until tomorrow's morning keynote speech at Microsoft Build. It is believed that Ubuntu will run on top of Windows 10's recently and quietly introduced Linux subsystems in a new Windows 10 Redstone build.
Microsoft and Canonical will not, however, sources say, be integrating Linux per se into Windows. Instead, Ubuntu will primarily run on a foundation of native Windows libraries. This would indicate that while Microsoft is still hard at work on bringing containers to Windows 10 in project Barcelona, this isn't the path Ubuntu has taken to Windows.

more at
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... windows-10

A more 'strategic' viewpoint is here:
Microsoft cozies up to Ubuntu as developers welcome cold day in hell
Microsoft said it will run Bash on Windows natively. No container. No virtualization. Developers can run Ubuntu on Windows easily. Bash (short for Bourne Again Shell) is standard on OS X and a bunch of Linux distributions. To the average bear, Bash will never be seen. But for developers, Microsoft's move is big. The company is allowing developers to run Windows scripts as well as Bash on one platform.

Developers like Microsoft's move. And if a software vendor can win over new developers it has accomplished a lot. These developers may even start launching Microsoft's universal apps and hit multiple screens. At the very least, Microsoft is following the developer demand since Ubuntu is the most popular Linux flavor on Azure.

Even Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth, who has battled Microsoft forever, was stoked. Shuttleworth said: "The native availability of a full Ubuntu environment on Windows, without virtualization or emulation, is a milestone that defies convention."
Microsoft made hell freeze over a bit on Wednesday and developers are likely to notice.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... y-in-hell/

Why an ordinary linux user would want this, with all the paint-drying updates and swisscheese security, I don't know.

What is clear is that Micro$oft has finally stopped ignoring linux; and this may be a bank shot at Android.

davidcoton

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:25 pm

CaptSunset wrote: Microsoft and Canonical partner to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10
... The details won't be revealed until tomorrow's morning keynote speech at Microsoft Build. ...

As of now, tomorrow = 1st April. Very appropriate.
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

Jednorozec

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:54 pm

Now we'll be able to Bash Windows. :lol:
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:19 am

Jednorozec wrote:Now we'll be able to Bash Windows. :lol:
[Checks... Yeah, this is in Off Topic.]

Looks more like Windows wants to be able to bash back.

mimi123

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:18 pm

topguy wrote:Python already runs on Windows (idk about IOT), why would you want to run "Python compiled for Linux" on Windows ?
I compiled Python 3.5 for Windows on ARM(desktop, Mobile and IoT SKUs all work, from 8 to 10). I can share my build. Note that FFI doesn't work, but that doesn't matter if you use pure Python (ctypes)

mimi123

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:20 pm

mmkw43 wrote:Just read about Linux capability in Windows 10? So do you think then that python code will run? Will python be included I wonder?
LXCore works on ARM since forever. It was designed for ARM first AFAIK.
LXCore was the base of Project Astoria, that Ubuntu stuff is using an Ubuntu rootfs instead of Android

Return to “Off topic discussion”