nightlion

Purchasing Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with multiple connectors r

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Where can I purchase the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with several of the connectors not installed on the board?

rpdom

Re: Purchasing Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with multiple connecto

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:20 am

If you are prepared to buy at least 3000 of them the main distributors offer a customisation service, but don't expect it to be cheap.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:18 am

Start here: https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... on-service

They explicitly mention removing connectors.

Mandrewpi

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:05 pm

I saw where a guy did that so his pi could fit in a gameboy. He used a de soldering gun. It would be a lot cheaper than buying 3000 pi's. :)
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Mandrewpi wrote:I saw where a guy did that so his pi could fit in a gameboy. He used a de soldering gun. It would be a lot cheaper than buying 3000 pi's. :)
For a one off project (or a handful of prototypes), sure. But if you're going to make a product containing a Pi, you really don't want to have to hire a bunch of people to spend their days desoldering connectors. Much better to find a way to buy them without those connectors in place from the beginning.

Mandrewpi

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:28 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mandrewpi wrote:I saw where a guy did that so his pi could fit in a gameboy. He used a de soldering gun. It would be a lot cheaper than buying 3000 pi's. :)
For a one off project (or a handful of prototypes), sure. But if you're going to make a product containing a Pi, you really don't want to have to hire a bunch of people to spend their days desoldering connectors. Much better to find a way to buy them without those connectors in place from the beginning.
I just figured the op wanted one or two pi's with the connectors taken off.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

W. H. Heydt

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:52 am

Mandrewpi wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I just figured the op wanted one or two pi's with the connectors taken off.
You may be correct. He didn't state how many he wanted--or which connectors he wants removed. However, if he only wants one, there is no reason for him to post, rather than just getting out a desoldering station and removing them himself.

alphanumeric

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Why not just use an A+ or Zero instead? If you don't need large quantities?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:24 pm

alphanumeric wrote:Why not just use an A+ or Zero instead? If you don't need large quantities?
Heh...maybe because those models are *both* in short supply at the moment?

alphanumeric

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:38 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:Why not just use an A+ or Zero instead? If you don't need large quantities?
The Zero is very hard to get your hands on. I have one, but had to keep an eye out and buy it quick. I bought an A+ not long ago and don't remember having to look very hard to find it? I haven't looked for one lately though. Just throwing out options. All depends on how many the OP needs I guess?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:42 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
The Zero is very hard to get your hands on. I have one, but had to keep an eye out and buy it quick. I bought an A+ not long ago and don't remember having to look very hard to find it? I haven't looked for one lately though. Just throwing out options. All depends on how many the OP needs I guess?
Heh...that's how I've gotten 3 of my--soon to be--4 Pi Zeros. The odd one out was because I didn't know that the main distributors of Pis *weren't* handling Pi Zeros.

Yes...A+ Pis are out there, but there have been recent spot shortages/out of stock conditions. The reason has been explained multiple times. Now there is the added complication that, supposedly some time this year, there will be a Pi3A. I know what *I'd* do about the two products, but I'm not part of the RPF, nor am I an MBA, so my ideas are probably wrong.

And of course...it not only depends on how many the OP wants, but when he wants them.

alphanumeric

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:29 pm

An A+ version of the 3 would be something I'd buy as a replacement for my current A+. A 3B+ with more RAM would be nice too. Anyway, we'll just have to wait for the OP to reply with more info on what he needs and how many.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:53 pm

alphanumeric wrote:An A+ version of the 3 would be something I'd buy as a replacement for my current A+. A 3B+ with more RAM would be nice too. Anyway, we'll just have to wait for the OP to reply with more info on what he needs and how many.
The Pi3A is going to be a mixed bag. There hasn't been even a hint at how much RAM it will have, though I think less than !GB would be poor form. The problem is that a major use for the A+ is where power is an issue and a Pi3A is going need a good deal more power than an A+ requires. .That's a big part of why I think the A+ will continue to be a viable board after the Pi3A hits the market. Kicking the A+ up to 512MB would help, too, and probably wouldn't have much effect on power requirements. It occurs to me that there is another potential upgrade for the A+ that many would welcome. If the A+ design could be retrofitted with the WiFi/BT module, since it's not integral to the SoC, that would be a real boon to the robotics and other mobile (hence, power sensitive) uses. A+ v2.0? A++? I wouldn't want to bet on it, but Eben does pull some pretty wild stuff out of his sleeve...

The Pi3B won't get more RAM. It's limited by what the VC4 can address, and that limit is 1GB. For more RAM on a Pi you're going to have to wait a few years to see what the Pi4B brings.

Jessie

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:34 pm

I just dremmel off the connectors when I need to cram a pi in something. Sure it looks like crap but it hasn't failed me yet. Just make sure you don't slip and hit the board.

Return to “Off topic discussion”