gkreidl

Re: Why is the Osborne effect wrong?

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:31 pm

hippy wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Android is a busted flush, there's no value in the RPF spending any money on something that won't push their educational goal forwards.
Every Pi sold helps their educational goals go forward, so every Pi sold for the purposes of running Android would be a win. If having Android encourages someone to want to learn computer science that's another win. And there didn't seem to be anything but enthusiasm for having Android in the past - https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/android-4-0-is-coming

The funny thing is we don't hear this 'it doesn't push their educational goals forward' for T-shirts, mugs, badges and bears which the Foundation get manufactured and sell, because we understand income helps those goals. It seems to only be used as the reason when Android is mentioned.

Not giving desired or required return on investment would be a good enough reason not to do something. But it seems 'doesn't push their educational goals forward' is favoured when it comes to Android.
Besides the investment arguments mentioned by JamesH already:
Did you ever try using Android with a mouse and keyboard? It's a painful experience. Only usable with touchscreen.
There are enough cheap Android HDMI sticks available, if you really want one. Some are even cheaper than a Pi when you include case and power supply.But why do you think that the hype about such stick has long died? Nobody really needs this rubbish.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cpcbegin

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Who need android? We have a complete operating system (raspbian) for a complete computer (raspberry pi).

If you want mobile games on raspberry you can install Firefox OS games on Raspbian with IceWeasel browser from here.
Last edited by cpcbegin on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trucos y recetas para raspberry pi:
http://malagaoriginal.blogspot.com.es/search/label/raspberry%20pi

Heater

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:08 pm

I don't even like Android on phones and tabs built to run Android.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:52 am

Not liking Android doesn't mean it doesn't have its uses (On of the main ones is as a competitor to iOS). It's just that those uses are not particularly useful on the Pi.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Heater

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:09 am

You are right James. It's just as well we can get a smart phone that is not an Apple.

Aside: I wish they would bury all the "smart" features under a hard to get at button or menu or secret gesture so that they did not impede the use of a phone as, well, a phone.

hippy

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:14 am

gkreidl wrote:There are enough cheap Android HDMI sticks available, if you really want one.
Indeed. But I'd rather see my money spent go to the Foundation and further their educational goals than into someone else's pocket.

Return to “Off topic discussion”